BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, my first bimmer, a '93 325i, is doing relitivley good for a newly bought used car(hey its a bimmer!) the only two issues other than needing a new or fixed radio/casette unit is the fact that two of the wheels were bent out of balance(currently being repaired) and one of the shocks isnt a new blisten(original) when all the others are. Being my first bimmer i am so far impressed and once I hit the old engine with some carbon clean and fix the two problems i will be ready to see if i can get it to be even better.

what do you experienced e36 owners feel would be the best first mods to do, nothing to crazy just yet though, it needs to be a daily driver, maybe replace paper filter with a k&n and a new chip? can somebody plz point me in the right direction for this

thanks,
93e36

·
Registered
205 Posts
hey and welcome,

search this forum, lts of stuff been posted on this...alot of info here!

good luck

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will do a search for the stuff i need to find out, not to be to harsh on you guys, but when i ask a question on most forums with good comunities i usually get an actual answer not "go search the forum" in other words 'im to lazy or idk what im talking about so figure it out yourself'

In this case a search in combo with reading the Haynes manual would probaly be a good idea to get a perspective on the car, but this is the first time i have actually gotten a response and it is telling me something that i already know,(no offense intended) but next time when i come back with more specific questions about what chip, what i need to do for a cam, ect. i feel that it is not too much to ask of you guys to actually tell me some useful info because i know there area a lot of people here who know what they're talking about and taking the small amount of time required to type in some short posts(more specific and tailored top what i ask rather than what i will find in a search) that will help out the comunity as a whole really isnt too much to ask at all

i dont want to just be confined to be a lurker, but if i cant actually get responses thats all i can do here. I hope i dont have to of course! And come on, once a new person is taught there stuff about the car they car be a contributer to the site in no time!

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
First off, welcome aboard!

There's no need for you to be a lurker, but in all honesty you really didn't give anyone any idea about what your modification goals are.

I would recommend that you replace the shocks and swaybars, and attend a driving school. Once you are familiar with the way the car handles at the limit, replace the tires (and possibly rims) with high performance summer only compound rubber. After that start looking into better brakes. And then finally look into improving the power output of the engine.

But that's just me. Everyone has a different opinion of how to approach modifications. Read everyones responses to this thread, once they start pouring in, research what others have said in other threads and prioritize based on your wants and needs.

·
1.888.JLEVISW
3,247 Posts
There are a ton of options as far as modifications go. You have to assess your personal goals with the car, whether you want to improve performance, cosmetics, interior, exterior, everything etc...

Many people choose to upgrade their lighting system as the E36 halogen setup, while good for a halogen setup, is pretty inadequate compared to today's modern xenon system. You can also purchase angel eyes which will give your car an updated and menacing look.

Likewise you can purchase a cold air intake for your engine to improve air flow and sound, exhaust, suspension, new wheels etc...

Check out our website, we have plenty of options for you to explore! www.jlevisw.com or 1.888.JLEVISW or [email protected]

Congrats on the car and happy modding!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
well, thanks for the responses, sorry if you felt that i was too broad(or rude), but that was sort of the point, to get a feel for what other bimmer guys would do first off(thats what most guys do on the other car websites that deal with cars that i am more familiar with do)

as for my goals,

Simple handlind mods was what i was originally thinking about for one of the first things to do. I do have a decently good idea of how the car handles in its current state and wish to improve on my abilities and its handling, i was thinking along the lines of a stiffer rear sway bar a parking lot and if needed an experienced friend. As for whells/tires ill replace those once the tires wear out, but for now it gets good enough traction with 190 hp and traction A tires as the tires are practically new

Brakes were one of the things i was thinking about doing down the road, I know it is a good idea to match new power with new braking, but in my current situation i wont have much of a need for braking quickly repeditively(ill still do it eventually i bet)

Increase in the power of the car is what i am most interested in besides handling. I was thinking of more of a good bolt on set up for now, def a modified ecu, maybe a set of headers with non catted midpipes for exaust, k&n filter and if possible, cams.

As for looks i am into keeping the car looking as stock as possible, but the halo headlights do look really cool...

im not sure what issues will arise from the putting in a cam and whether or not it will be cost prohibitive because of these issues or even a good idea ect. Also does the '93 325i engine run well with no back preasure?(as stated above) and exactly how agressive should i go with the rear SB and where can i locate a good one? more to come...

these questions are where you guys com in

and now to check out that site and google stuff

·
Still here
12,188 Posts
Hi, and welcome!

To put in my two pennies, this is the way i would go.

Start off with a K&N cone Air Filter. the difference to the car is very noticable and they are not especially expensive. I would then look into a new exhaust and manifold as if you have more fuel and air going in, you need to make sure you are getting it out again (though a standard one will suffice). the next performance mod would be a chip (dinan or Turner motorsport are very popular).

However, before you do the chip, you want to make sure your baby can handle all the new bits and most importantly....STOP the car!!!

So many people i know have suped up their cars like mad and left the standard brakes and suspension on. this means the car goes like stink and then when they come to a corner or have to brake hard, bad things often happen.

Uprate your brakes to EBC turbogrooves and Greenstuffs pads to eliminate the dreaded BRAKE FADE, and uprate your springs and shocks so when you flick it into a bend, it will go round as a BMW should and not like a civic (no offense to the civic).

This is my opinion.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
that will be a must do with the brakes once i start to more than drag with the thing or start to drive in the mountains, but for now stopping once or twice quickly from high speed my car can do and is all that is currently needed(more money now for a bit more relevant mods)

the car will be able to handle a great deal of added power mechanically(once im sure ive go it at factory spec of course!) and in my current situation, as for suspension as stated above it does have all around bilstiens and i wish to upgrade the rear sway bar in order to kill the that annoying understeer

i mean no offense of course, but i have a good deal of understanding of the basic principals of modding and intricate knowlege on how many engines work, im just inexperienced with bimmers, so im looking for those 325i specific q/a

any suggestions about what to get and where SB wise would be greatly apreciated in addition to any camshaft comments(i might start a new thread for that project though)

btw, dont feel bad about dissing civics performance wise because they are in no way with any of the civic engines mod worthy in comparison to many other better cars such as ours(ricers suck)

·
Still here
12,188 Posts
my mistake, thought you wanted advice on the first mods to do to your E36

silly me

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.