BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, after 10 years of domestics I thought i'd try out a used bimmer.

so i ended up getting a 93 320i 5speed 4dr for $2000. base model, no leather, no sunroof.

the problems with the car

3 of 4 shocks are leaking.
blades on engine fans have snapped off (no over heating noticed)
3 rust spots. 2 small and one on the pasenger fender that has rusted through
and some engine leaks
inner tie rod ends need replacing

those i plan on fixing myself.

I have a couple question that I couldn't really get a diffinative answer when I searched it.

I'm having a hard time finding spec for the 320i. I'm assuming it has the 2.0 i6 engine. right?

can I buy parts from other e36's? (minus engine components of course)

and any places you guys suggest for part? I've been looking at rockauto.com

let me know if you guys have any advice, suggestions, or comments.

and keep in mind i know nothing about bimmers, so suggestiong on uprades would be great.

ok I think I'm gonna have to cut myself off here, or I'll jsut keep on blabbing on.

thanks for reading

Attachments

·
Registered
127 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
First things first.... DO NOT TEST THE COOLING SYSTEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I pushed my 92 320i to 140 mph and fuc*ed the cooling system up royally.... Second use Royal purple everything, as in oil, atifreeze, gear lube, power steering fluid, brake fluid.... Every fluid in your car besides windshield washer fluid.... Third what are your intentions for your car???????

·
Tyler's Paw Paw
942 Posts
I'm sure his intentions are honorable. He'll date his car, give it an engagement ring and marry it in an elaborate ceremony.

Didn't we all???

·
Registered
103 Posts
Yes but then I went to see what she could do and she couldnt handel the speed.... :(

:thumbdwn: It makes me sad.... I also feel bad but promissed to stay with her for better or for worse..... lol
I'm sure his intentions are honorable. He'll date his car, give it an engagement ring and marry it in an elaborate ceremony.

Didn't we all???

·
I Am The Machine
20,931 Posts
I have a couple question that I couldn't really get a diffinative answer when I searched it.

I'm having a hard time finding spec for the 320i. I'm assuming it has the 2.0 i6 engine. right?

can I buy parts from other e36's? (minus engine components of course)

and any places you guys suggest for part? I've been looking at rockauto.com

let me know if you guys have any advice, suggestions, or comments.

and keep in mind i know nothing about bimmers, so suggestiong on uprades would be great.
The majority of parts from any E36 sedan will be interchangeable. All interior pieces are. All body panels are, with the exception of the nose-piece which the grill sits in. It had a minor adjustment in 96. It fits, but you have to have the updated grills as well as the piece. The suspension is fully interchangeable. The electrical system received several revisions throughout the years. Anything from cars manufactured before 9/94 should be fully compatible.

Yes, it has the 2 liter I6 engine. Not much of an aftermarket, but it should be a solid choice.

As for advice - COOLING SYSTEM! It shows no mercy.

Didn't we all???
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I did....:eeps:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the advice..

first my intentions.

I initially was looking for a pure commuter good on gas. then came across this one, and since I've always loved the e36 I picked this up. first I'm gonna fix the suspension and the fan blade. then over the summer I'm gonna try and deal with the rust. if I'm successfull then I'm gonna look into getting a new paint job. I think the car is beautiful as is so I'm not gonna modify the exterior, but will try and do some performance upgrades.

my budget for a car was $4000, so now I got such a great deal on this, I have a lot more to put into it.

how should I take car of the cooling system? I'm was gonna flush the system next month.
and i know about bad cooling systems. (I've own gm's for the past 10 years, and their dex-cool systems are crap)

I've been looking to upgrade as much as possible. is the cloth parts on my door panels are making it look very dated.

and this is the first car I've seen with the battery out back. mine doesn't have a cover over it. so I'll be looking for a cover, cause the exposed possitive worries me mostly if I get my golf clubs in there.

thanks again for the replies

·
I Am The Machine
20,931 Posts
My replies are in bold ;)
thanks for the advice..

first my intentions.

I initially was looking for a pure commuter good on gas. then came across this one, and since I've always loved the e36 I picked this up. first I'm gonna fix the suspension and the fan blade. then over the summer I'm gonna try and deal with the rust. if I'm successfull then I'm gonna look into getting a new paint job. I think the car is beautiful as is so I'm not gonna modify the exterior, but will try and do some performance upgrades.

Ok, you're in. Welcome to the 'Fest! Yay, and thank you for not being another fvcking ricer....lol.

my budget for a car was $4000, so now I got such a great deal on this, I have a lot more to put into it.

That's how to do it bro.

how should I take car of the cooling system? I'm was gonna flush the system next month.
and i know about bad cooling systems. (I've own gm's for the past 10 years, and their dex-cool systems are crap)

Bwahahahahahahahahaha Dex-Cool. Ugh. My mom has it on the 00 Olds Silhouette. GM's cheap ass intake manifold cracked, and another something cracked that allowed air into the system and caused the coolant to turn to sludge. Just *barely* under warranty. But now the damn thing is doing something again with the coolant - its all just disappearing. Hope not an HG... :( But yeah, Dex-Sh!t is miserable.

I've been looking to upgrade as much as possible. is the cloth parts on my door panels are making it look very dated.

Wow....I've never seen cloth in an E36 except the rare M-Tech cloth package with the funky colors. Is yours like that?

and this is the first car I've seen with the battery out back. mine doesn't have a cover over it. so I'll be looking for a cover, cause the exposed possitive worries me mostly if I get my golf clubs in there.

Yeah, cover ASAP. Just bite the bullet and get it from the dealer, like, now. You really don't want all that being uncovered, as you know.

thanks again for the replies

·
Monacoblau mit beige
2,203 Posts
My interior is anthracite cloth everywhere, it has turned purple due to UV radiation and it sucks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
mo mine is just old grey cloth. pretty ugly... hoping to upgrade when i find a cheap donar e36

and one more question. what's a good decently priced muffler? I have a cherrybomb muffler and I hate it. I don't need the thing to scream going 30 km/hr.

I finally got insurance on it yesterday and drive it around for 2 hours.

this is what I notice. a lot of clunking from the underside (I'm hoping from the shock/struts and tie rods)

car's a little week. don't know if it's the 2.0 l engine or I'm losing power. ( I'm hoping changing fluids spark plugs and an intake will restore some of the power)

but over all I think after I change the fluids, spark plugs shocks/struts I think it's be a great car to drive.

what you guys think of this?

I'm about to pull the trigger on this but thought I'd get some opinions... I'm looking at 2 struts and 2 shocks (monroe sensa tracks) for $350 including shipping and duties to canada.

got a fan from ebay for $35 including shipping.

·
Registered
103 Posts
no mine is just old grey cloth. pretty ugly... hoping to upgrade when i find a cheap donar e36

and one more question. what's a good decently priced muffler? I have a cherrybomb muffler and I hate it. I don't need the thing to scream going 30 km/hr.

car's a little week. don't know if it's the 2.0 l engine or I'm losing power. ( I'm hoping changing fluids spark plugs and an intake will restore some of the power)
First Loud cars are fuc*ing awsome.... second I have a 92 320i and it pushed 145MPH right before the radiator exploded.... So your engine could use some TLC.... And now so can mine....:thumbup: you have a fixer upper but otherwise good car....;) and If I am not mistaken you have a 2.5 litre engine in it.... That is what mine has and its older than yours....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i'm pretty sure mine is a 2.0. registry and all the vin decoders sy it's a 2.0

I can't really tell by looking at it.

hahah I hate the load mufflers.. I don't want my car sounding like a riced up civic. I much rather prefer the low rumble sound. (how a v6 - v8 should sound.)

i'm looking forward to working on the car. I was thinking of trying to redo the door panels myself. I just need to do some research and see how hard it is.

·
Registered
20 Posts
sweet price on the fan.... if you really want to do work on the suspension you could go a bit nicer than monroe (still not a bad product tho). If you're already spending 350 on them i think you could probably find something a notch higher; anyone else???

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
sweet price on the fan.... if you really want to do work on the suspension you could go a bit nicer than monroe (still not a bad product tho). If you're already spending 350 on them i think you could probably find something a notch higher; anyone else???
you're right. I can find better for that price.

this is what I found so far which would you guys pick?

Tokico hp (all four corners) for $337 including shipping (don't know about duty)

kyb GR-2 (all 4) $355 including shipping ( duty unknown)

bilstein (all 4) $290 NOT including shipping (shipping and duty unknown)

I don't know much about suspensions, so I don't know what's good.

·
Registered
797 Posts
First Loud cars are fuc*ing awsome.... second I have a 92 320i and it pushed 145MPH right before the radiator exploded.... So your engine could use some TLC.... And now so can mine....:thumbup: you have a fixer upper but otherwise good car....;) and If I am not mistaken you have a 2.5 litre engine in it.... That is what mine has and its older than yours....
320i has a 2.0 l engine, 323i and 325i has a 2.5l engine.

and mine has the cloth on the door as well...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts