BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

First Bmw 535xi

1719 13
So I made a switch frim MB to Beamer now. Got my first bmw 08 535xi. I have been looking for the e60 m5 and ? 6. But I was tokd thst they drink a lot of oil and are very costly maintenance wise if yiu drive a lot. And I do drive a lot.
So got myself a 535 with 40k miles.

I was also told that the 535 and 335 were known for some problems. What do the folks here have to say about that? Any sleepless nights for you guys?
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
The only sleepless night was last night when I thought I had to pay for wastegate replacements...

The car rocks. Is it expensive to maintain, yes, but aren't all German cars?

And yes there are recalls and such, but besides a bit of aggravation having to drop off yoru car, it's all covered by BMWNA more or less.

Enjoy the car.
It looks like all the recalls were tsken care of by the previous owner.

Wanted to do some mods so I started off with the white leds for the angels. And white leds for the license plate lights.
I heard its a nightmare to change the license plate lights?

Also want to get a rear spoiler. What are some good ones out there?

And thank you. Been enjoying it for the past week :)
I love my E60 and it's my second one. Every now and then you get a headache problem but like Repoman said, aren't they all.. lol.
License plate lights are the easiest thing to replace, specially well built one that are plug n play. :thumbup:
Wanted to do some mods so I started off with the white leds for the angels. And white leds for the license plate lights.
I heard its a nightmare to change the license plate lights?
)
Tons of them....my 535 xi has had most of the N54 related engine problems - two replacement high pressure pumps and I am on my second set of fuel injectors. My car was in the shop for two weeks earlier this year to diagnose a hesitation to accelerate. I had the head pulled off to get the carbon build up removed. Now the car has been in the shop for a week because of a check engine light - the car is running lean and they are unable to diagnose the source. BTW the car only has 55,000 miles on it! No drinking oil so!
So I made a switch frim MB to Beamer now. Got my first bmw 08 535xi. I have been looking for the e60 m5 and ? 6. But I was tokd thst they drink a lot of oil and are very costly maintenance wise if yiu drive a lot. And I do drive a lot.

I was also told that the 535 and 335 were known for some problems. What do the folks here have to say about that? Any sleepless nights for you guys?
Oh boy. BTW I was told the M's drink oil like anything. Thats why I didn't buy the M5. I should have bought that. But then again I didn't have any problems yet and I hope I Dont in the future. I have only had it for about two weeks now. Where can I get some nice trunk spoilers? BTW what are the must have mods on this car? :)
As a very "spirited" driver, the last thing in the world I would want would be for my license plate to be more clearly visible at night.
License plate lights are the easiest thing to replace, specially well built one that are plug n play. :thumbup:
Congrats on your new ride. There are a few issues but then what high performance sedan doesnt have issues. The major ones are covered by bmwna, like the hpfp which is covered for 10yrs or 120k miles. With the oil thing I've yet had to add oil and I drive 90 miles everyday for work. I've had my car since April and I'm extremely happy with the car, especially after doing the Cobb ap and upgrading my wheels and tires.

I would say that they drink more gas than anything more so than oil. Hrm... V10 engine and "11 mpg city" Your pockets will hurt from the gas ;)

Oh boy. BTW I was told the M's drink oil like anything.
As a very "spirited" driver, the last thing in the world I would want would be for my license plate to be more clearly visible at night.
got that right :thumbup: find me a .5 watt bulb lol
How can I be 100% sure that hpfp is covered by bmw?
Also I honestly dont even know what that is but a few people have told me thats being a known issue. Thanks guys.
Congrats on your new ride. There are a few issues but then what high performance sedan doesnt have issues. The major ones are covered by bmwna, like the hpfp which is covered for 10yrs or 120k miles. With the oil thing I've yet had to add oil and I drive 90 miles everyday for work. I've had my car since April and I'm extremely happy with the car, especially after doing the Cobb ap and upgrading my wheels and tires.
It is covered - BMW sent a letter to the owners indicating it is. So no worries there. As for what a high pressure fuel pump is.... the 535's engine, like many modern engines, has direct injection. Direct injection improves performance and fuel economy but requires fuel to be injected into the engine at very high pressure. Thus, cars with direct injection have an additional fuel pump that further pressurizes the fuel before injection into the engine. The 535 has two fuel pumps - on in the fuel tank and one attached to the engine - the one attached to the engine is the high pressure fuel pump. In the attached link, the HPFP of located on the bottom right hand corner by the engine - the silver pump with the round black cover.

http://theblogofcars.com/2010/10/bmw-conducting-two-seperate-recalls/
How can I be 100% sure that hpfp is covered by bmw?
Also I honestly dont even know what that is but a few people have told me thats being a known issue. Thanks guys.
Zeekhan

I just traded in my 2008 535xi - what an awesome car. I went back to a Z4 - but I'll tell you, the E60 was/is a great car. I had no problems (except for mice munching on some wires 2 years ago).

I did a couple of mods - I added the M Aero kit which was my favorite mod. I also did the shadow line mod (replaced chrome window trim with black - plus the built in radar/laser system.

The car is a beast in the snow. I went with Dunlop snow tires - and it was unstoppable.
Thank you so much guys. I feel much better now :) thanks a lot.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.