Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2004 645 Convertible with 55,000 miles. It is super clean and runs like a dream. But that only last so long without doing the little things that a 16 yr old car needs.

Every time I buy a used car or truck I jack it up, slip underneath and start replacing anything that doesn't seem sorted. That is happening this week.

So with that said, can someone point me to a comprehensive guide of "things I should really do?" as soon as possible (assuming I don't have any comprehensive service records).

My short list is obvious:
Oil, Tranny filter, rear diff fluid, brakes, fluid, belts, coolant flush, bushings, fuel filter, fuel injection cleaning, spark plugs etc.

Looking for things like:
You need to grease the convertible top?
You should/shouldnt change the Tranny filter or Diff fluid?
Repack the bearings?
Replace "such and such" because this will wreck your engine?

I'm a general motor head and like doing the work. And I know on these cars everything seems like a 2 day job!! ;)

I'm just hoping you folks can chime in on a good list of things I should do to stave off any future issue? I've already got TMPS Sensors and the pesky leaking windshield fluid resevoir on the list.

FYI: I think I got a good deal on the car, so I'm planning on dedicating a $1000 or $2000 to making sure she is in 100% perfect running order. But i'd prefer to spend as little as possible!! lol

Thanks if Advance!!!!

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 98K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
16,489 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,135 Posts
I just bought a 2004 645 Convertible with 55,000 miles. It is super clean and runs like a dream. But that only last so long without doing the little things that a 16 yr old car needs.

Every time I buy a used car or truck I jack it up, slip underneath and start replacing anything that doesn't seem sorted. That is happening this week.

So with that said, can someone point me to a comprehensive guide of "things I should really do?" as soon as possible (assuming I don't have any comprehensive service records).

My short list is obvious:
Oil, Tranny filter, rear diff fluid, brakes, fluid, belts, coolant flush, bushings, fuel filter, fuel injection cleaning, spark plugs etc.

Looking for things like:
You need to grease the convertible top?
You should/shouldnt change the Tranny filter or Diff fluid?
Repack the bearings?
Replace "such and such" because this will wreck your engine?

I'm a general motor head and like doing the work. And I know on these cars everything seems like a 2 day job!! ;)

I'm just hoping you folks can chime in on a good list of things I should do to stave off any future issue? I've already got TMPS Sensors and the pesky leaking windshield fluid resevoir on the list.

FYI: I think I got a good deal on the car, so I'm planning on dedicating a $1000 or $2000 to making sure she is in 100% perfect running order. But i'd prefer to spend as little as possible!! lol

Thanks if Advance!!!!
We have a good DIY forum here for all kinds of repairs & info, listed in the sticky under Helpful DIY Links. Please don't follow the BMW guidelines of 15k oil changes, but 3 to 5k to keep you motor running best. You will find that our engines eat seals of all kinds, so be prepared to change the valve cover gaskets, along with the upper timing gaskets at the same time. There is a o-ring on the alternator bracket that will fail often as well. The transmission filter is part of the pan, & that should be changed every 50k miles as well. Not changing the fluid will lead to more seal failures inside the valve body & Mechatronic seals. Please read the fluid change procedure before attempting this as it must be done as stated. All electronic parts need to be replaced with the OEM brand, not necessarily BMW parts. Our repairs can be become quite expensive every time the cars goes to the shop, so there is a lot of money that can be saved by doing your own repairs. You will also need to read up on ISTA, since most code readers don't help very much in trouble shooting on a BMW. You can read up on that in our Coding forum here on the forum. Here are some helpful links below that should help a lot.

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1309251

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=175

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e63-645ci-cou/

https://www.rmeuropean.com/Make/BMW/2005/645Ci-Base-Coupe-E63-44L-V8.aspx?catalogID=016&page=2

http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/E63/USA/645Ci-N62/may2005/browse/

·
Michael
2,211 Posts
Welcome to the forum, you will find many people on here who have significant knowledge and experience to assist you with your car. We also have some real plonkers and inside of two posts you have experienced the extremes:thumbup:

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Sounds like you've happened upon a very low mileage 6'er. Before you start tearing it apart you should enlist the cooperation of a BMW dealer service center (your nearest dealer is nearby in Egg Harbor Township - though I can't personally vouch for their service center) or a knowledgeable indy who can pull service and maintenance records to determine what (if any) of the preventative replacements / maintenance items may have already & recently been performed.

Older BMWs can be trouble free OR troublesome ... and "no-use" can be as tough on mechanical stuff as "AB"use. If you are lucky to find that fluids (oil/coolant/brake, etc) were replaced regularly - that bodes well for you. Mike Miller's maintenance recommendations that Doug posted is terrific. BTW - be careful jacking up that puppy there are recommended jacking points and pads that hopefully will be in place to ensure nothing goes wrong!

The forum posters can be very helpful - read carefully and use good, common sense. ENJOY your new find!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks!!!

Thanks to all for the recommendations!! This is what I was looking for.

I'll try to post updates as I dive a little deeper!!

Again, thanks!!!!

·
Super Moderator
8,135 Posts
Thanks to all for the recommendations!! This is what I was looking for.

I'll try to post updates as I dive a little deeper!!

Again, thanks!!!!
Working on a BMW will be a deep dive, nothing is made easy for you to work on yourself.

·
Super Moderator
1,839 Posts
Put the battery on charge once a month or so, keeping the voltage above the 12v mark and the more regular oil changes that HerbP mentioned are the two biggest money savers on these cars.
Low mileage and high age is not always a good sign as mentioned above but you've got a good list of things to check there, you'll probably find the TPMS sensors (unless retro fitted) will not be needed as there's no sensors in the tyres, punctures and low pressure are detected via the hubs rather than tyre sensors on this model and this system very rarely fails.
While you're under the car, pay particular attention to the rubber bushings on the front upper and lower control arms and their ball joints as these are common wear items, the upper control arm (thrust arm) can have its main bushing pressed out and a new one put in but this can only be safely done once, after that it's a new complete arm but to be honest, for the price of them most of us just replace the whole thing anyway unless we're using poly bushes, if needed and if you can source them go with Lemforder for both, I think you guys in the US are able to get these pretty much on demand. You may well find that things like these will currently look quite good but you may also find that now the car will be regularly used they may wear fairly quickly.
Oh, and you'll find the AC belt is a stretch belt on these so if you haven't got one, grab a tool for that :thumbup:

·
Super Moderator
1,839 Posts
Forgot to mention, check with BMW to make sure the car is up to date with any recalls :thumbup:.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Again, Thanks for the Information!!!

So Phase I Started:
Car is up on jack stands.
removed the headlight washer pump, replacing today to fix that leak.
Located a leak on the passenger side, seems to be coming from oil cooler line connection? Need to search the forum on this. Looks like a bear to get to.
After I sort the leak, next will be Tranny filter change, need to figure out which tranny is in this thing :) Seen some posts on how to identify, so wich me luck!!

The Oil Leak, passenger side, oil cooler lines (I think)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/tGgLz93AGiwRiDyo9

The photos are take from underneath, passenger side, the hoses are from the engine cooler, seems to be a large bango fitting with the lines going into "something". Anyone know what this little contraption is called? I'm going to try and gently tighten anything I can get a wrench on.

Ok, I think I found the CULPRIT!! I'm going to replace the seals on the Vacuum pump. I would have to remove it to find the oil leak anyways, so I'm hoping it is the cause.

Going to order the Transmission filter kit as well and do the mechatronics seals.

Loving this Forum folks!! Been a great help!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts