BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just got my 1991***8217; 318i, I can***8217;t tell you much about the 325is but the 318i gets real good econ and is relatively comfortable to drive. It***8217;s not what I would call quick, but it gets from A to B.

I would suggest you go look at both and drive both.

·
Registered
538 Posts
If both cars were of equal quality, there is no substitute for cubic inches. The "is" cars have a few more options than the "i" cars.

·
Registered
476 Posts
is FTW.... not a horrible price

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
FTW?? what does that mean. ima go check out the 318i first. the lady who owns the 325is hasnt called me back yet. not sure how many miles it has. 89 scares me cause it's so old.

·
Registered
476 Posts
my car has over 300,000 and still runs like a champ! but i have service records!

200,000 is said to be the break in period for a bmw

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
both cars are a good price there,the one thing though 318 is a timing chain and the 325 is a belt and it should be change every 100,000km or 4 years or so......oh yes at same time on the 325 do the water pump too sence you are there....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I talked to the guy about the 318i. He said he bought it from an auction. He said if i buy the car I have to take it to a BMW dealer and show proof of ownership so I can get the "radio code"...what is a radio code?? he emailed me a carfax report so ima meet him tuesday. the ONLY problem is i can't drive a stick...:tsk:

·
Registered
19 Posts
You may want to replace the radio but the code will make the BMW radio work. Check out the 325 lot more power and more fun to drive. Make sure you change the timing belt as soon as you get the car. It will cost you about $300. You don't want the timing belt to break on you.

·
BMW Genius @ BMW Portland
2,198 Posts
the ONLY problem is i can't drive a stick...:tsk:
lol i was in the same position when i got mine. killed it a lot. i wasnt use to the 2.93 LSD that it had. but now i can say taht i know how to drive a 5 speed smoothly.

well 99% of the time that is :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Why would anyone recommend buying a car that is going to immediately need a MAJOR expense relative to the value of the car? Timing belt vs. chain? The gift that keeps giving to the mechanic. I have 225K miles on my 1991 318is with the original clutch. If you want a fun car that goes and goes with minimal maintenance, the four banger cannot be beat.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Wow, my 318's clutch only made it to 192k, congrats thats a long ass time for a clutch...

·
On Top
8,772 Posts
OPEC says get the 325i, it has a more primitive engine that breaths worse, has only 18 more hp that the 318i, and gets worse mileage.

Oh and higher insurance cost too.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I agree with the other posters, get the car with the least amount of horsepower, also most driving enthusiasts prefer an automatic. Since BMW's are known for their low maintenance costs, I wouldn't buy a car with a timing belt that can be changed in about three hours and would cost $300 or less to replace if you paid a reputable shop. Since mileage is an issue, you may also consider the Yugo or Chevette.:bigpimp:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts