Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
BMW X1 Copper Canyon Mexico

I have to admit that I was more than a little excited when the invite came in to go test drive the all new BMW X1. On top of the outgoing car being a big hit in the United States, my wife's daily driver is a 2014 X1 xDrive28i with Sport Line. I have a ton of experience driving the previous generation and was anticipating the chance to get behind the wheel of the new model since photos first surfaced.

For this test drive, BMW flew us out to Copper Canyon in Mexico. Many of you (if you are like me) will have no idea what that is. First Imagine the Grand Canyon. Now make it larger and even deeper in certain areas. This was the perfect area to test the X1 in terms of cornering, elevation changes and a few different types of terrain.

The Specifications

2016 BMW X1 xDrive28i
2.0-liter TwinTurbo 4-cylinder engine
228 horsepower
258 lb-ft of torque
0 to 60 in 6.3 seconds
Curb Weight of 3,660lbs
56/44 Front to Rear Weight Balance

See the entire photo gallery from our 2016 BMW X1 xDrive28i First Drive

2016 BMW X1 Pricing Details

2016 BMW X1 Press Release - Additional Details

2016 BMW X1 B46 Motor Technical Details

Design Style

Before I get to the driving review, I want to touch on the styling. If you liked the car in photos, you are going to love it in person. The new X1 exudes the character that we have come to expect from the X line from BMW. The presence of the car is unmistakable and there is zero doubt that this generation is a true Sport Activity Vehicle. The X1 is now 0.9" wider, 2" higher and 0.6" shorter in length. Despite the shorter length, the interior is significantly larger helped by the transverse mounted engine.

While the exterior was stylish and sporty, the interior may have been more impressive having come to the drive with so much time in the previous generation. From the moment you sit in the seat, the new X1 feels bigger in all the good ways. The best feeling was to not worry that your head is going to smack into the roofline. I would even wager to guess you could wear a hat without it rubbing against the roof. The driver oriented dash was the second piece I noticed and is a major improvement. The one other oddball piece that stuck out in a good way was the new gear shift lever. I don't know how to describe it but it just felt like it was more appropriate than the standard BMW gear selector.

Not everything was perfect though and the one issue we kept coming back to are the seats. They felt small in comparison to the previous generation. I'm not sure if it is the shape of the seat but they didn't seem as roomy as the previous generation. They were fine to drive with but I would have preferred sport seats with the traditional thigh bolster adjustment. Have no fear as that option will be coming next month when the M Sport package starts production. I'll be interested to see those seats as a comparison.

Driving Impressions

BMW has changed just about everything you can imagine for the new generation X1. Yes, the new X1 is based on the UKL platform and that does mean it is a front-wheel drive architecture. The United States will only see the All-Wheel Drive models whereas Europe will eventually see Front-Wheel Drive only versions.

The motor has also changed dramatically. It is a transverse mounted 4-cylinder and has slightly less horsepower than the outgoing model (228hp vs 240hp). Despite having less horsepower, the X1 feels just as powerful as the previous generation. Paired with the new 8 speed automatic gearbox, the B46 motor will not disappoint you in the slightest. In fact, the new motor is significantly quieter than the previous N20. When at a standstill, you no longer get that tick-like diesel sound and it is a very welcomed improvement. With hard driving and the window down you even hear the hints of the turbo working and it makes you feel more connected to the SAV.

As mentioned earlier, we were fortunate enough to test drive the X1 in and around Copper Canyon which was a great way to see the SAV in action. The X1 puts power down admirably and was able to traverse the mountain roads with ease. The suspension worked extremely well in all cornering situations with the ability to carry high speeds into turns with no noticeable body roll. Many of the roads we encountered were full of gravel and mixed surfaces which was an amazing test of handling. The All-Wheel Drive system was adept at quickly transferring torque where it was needed with no noticeable wheel slippage or torque steer getting in the way.

What made these roads perfect was also tragic. The days leading up to our drive, rain caused massive rockslides and mudslides on portions of the roads. That meant that our X1 test drive including traversing some serious terrain full of dirt, mud, small rock and boulders. To add in some fun, the route was also riddled with animals including mountain goats, bulls and burrows. In every situation, the X1 was easily able to navigate the terrain and get us where we wanted to go without question. That should be great news for those who want to use the X1 for trips to the mountain for winter sports or heading to the beach for some summertime fun. The clearance is only slightly higher than the outgoing model (about 0.75" higher) so you probably don't want to get any ideas of serious off-roading though.

Conclusion

BMW has a winner on their hands with the second generation X1. They are going to sell a lot of them. It is a great looking car with an impressive drivetrain that allows a needed increase of passenger/cargo space. The B46 motor is quiet and smooth with power delivery. If you drove the car without knowing the technical details, I doubt you would know that it was a front-wheel-drive based platform. The whole package comes together nicely and those looking to upgrade from the previous generation X1 have a lot to look forward to. This is especially true for those of you with kids or need the space for an active lifestyle.

The new X1 goes on sale October 24, 2015 at a dealer near you with a starting price of $35,795 (including destination and handling). Get out to a dealer and test drive one for yourself when they show up in the next couple weeks.

See the entire photo gallery from our 2016 BMW X1 xDrive28i First Drive

2016 BMW X1 Pricing Details

2016 BMW X1 Press Release - Additional Details

2016 BMW X1 B46 Motor Technical Details

·
Registered
102 Posts
great review. Thanks for all the good tidbits. Looking forward to driving this as soon as it hits my local dealer. Glad you had fun in Chihuahua

·
Premium Member
5,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They are still being produced in Germany. I don't remember if it is still in Leipzig but it continues to be the only X model not being produced at Spartanburg. As far as I understand it, there are no plans to bring it there either.

·
Car&Travel
363 Posts
I believe 2016 X1 are still manufactured at the plant in Leipzig.

They are still being produced in Germany. I don't remember if it is still in Leipzig but it continues to be the only X model not being produced at Spartanburg. As far as I understand it, there are no plans to bring it there either.

·
Premium Member
5,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you have any specific questions about the new X1 that were not addressed, I'd be more than happy to answer them. It was a very positive driving experience and the design is hands down better than the last generation.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
If you have any specific questions about the new X1 that were not addressed, I'd be more than happy to answer them. It was a very positive driving experience and the design is hands down better than the last generation.
Great photos!

Any idea where the oil filter is located?
The N20 and N55 had it right out in front.

·
Premium Member
5,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
According to the technical specs on the engine here ( http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=874330 ) -

Due to the construction space, the oil filter housing is suspended in the transverse mounting. The inspection is carried out from the bottom of the vehicle. Using an oil drain plug the Service employee can drain the engine oil from the oil filter module before opening the oil filter cover.

No where near as easy to get to the filter as before and that is surely a bummer.

·
Premium Member
5,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No but I have to say that there wasn't much space where you could just launch the car in a straight line while full on throttle. The roads were full of debris and gravel for a lot of the time but that showed just how sure footed the X1 was and how well the xDrive system was doing in transferring torque where it was needed. I would have liked to have more time to do some more straight line acceleration tests to see if I could pick up on any torque steer but it seemed to handle everything we threw at it on the canyon roads.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I drove the new X1 a few weeks ago at Oktoberfest. Just a short drive but the overall impression coming from my X3 was more like a VW platform vehicle (Golf/A3) than a BMW. The seats look and feel right out of the Mini parts bin. I think anyone new to the brand coming from a FWD based car will not notice anything. Coming from a RWD based BMW it just feels different.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
What shade of blue was your test car. It seemed to be the only one that stood out color wise in the test group. I think this vehicle would look good in either a bright or muted red as well.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
By the way, I agree those seats not only look like they are from a Mini, but thy really look cheap. Definitely worth waiting for the M-Sport Package to see if there is an improvement.

·
Registered
426 Posts
BMW switched production from Leipzig to Regensburg due to it having greater capacity, after they revised expected production upwards. Per Google Translate, the first sentence of this Auto Motor und Sport article reads "The next generation of the BMW X1 is built no longer in Leipzig, but at the Regensburg plant."

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/...-geht-von-leipzig-nach-regensburg-679848.html

I'm real glad to see the positive X1 reviews continuing. The first round of good reviews convinced me to stick with the X1 for my ED, even though it meant having to make a second trip in November (I was already going in September and was hoping for an ED then).

·
Registered
86 Posts
Sactoken me too

Sacktoken;

Looks like I am in the same situation as you. Had hoped to pick up the X1 in September and have just returned from Europe. Now plan on going back at the end of November for an 12/3 ED.

·
Registered
271 Posts
From some pics I can say that I agree that the M-sport model looks good, although the black plastic piece in the rear bumper is a big meh and does not fit well with the rest of the vehicle. My $0.02

1 - 20 of 27 Posts