BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought an '02 325i exactly one year ago for my wife. The car only had 23,000 mi. on it. Needless to say, she loves it & is REAL good about letting me know of any probs:angel:
Brake wear indicator light came on last week, but no real time to attend to it. Yesterday I had to choice but to get the job done, but a little leery because I'm a Volvo guy:mad:
Didn't have time to order on line & wasn't going to pay dealer prices. Got the Brembo's for the front & both front/rear pads. My Volvo's were always real fussy about what you feed them & figure this car is no different. I couldn't locate Axxis or some of the others recommended here locally, so I'm "auditioning" the NAPA Adaptive One pads. Interesting concept & I WILL return them if they're problematic.

When I pulled the fronts tires, there was plenty of pad left, easily 10-15k. But having no experience with the indicator wire, I trudged on. Since I was in that far, I just changed everything out, not seeing any wear on the indicator. Not surprisingly, resetting the light didn't work. I pulled the rears & there was nothing left of the pads or sensor. I have all the service records for the car, & there was never any brake work done. Usually the fronts take more of the wear & tear.

All in all, an easy job even in the rain. But not quite as easy as my old Volvo:thumbdwn: I'll get over it. This is an excellent site. I've enjoyed looking over some of the posts. Thanks for making it available.:D

·
Is it Trackday yet?
8,975 Posts
Good work! I bet the only difference is the wear sensor, no? The brakes on my car are no different than any other vehicle with discs, as far as my experience anyway.

Well, you know you need a rear sensor to get that light to go off, or there's a way to trick it also, by cutting the wires and twisting them together, then follow the procedure for resetting the light.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Jeff,

I picked up both the front/rear sensors when I bought the parts. My logic was I would find the front pads shot & it's sensor worn through. Bought the rear sensor as a "just in case". Pretty surprised to find all the wear was with rear pads, rotors & sensor. So I had to go back this morning & pick up the rear rotors. Hey, I'm done for another 40k...:thumbup:

·
Ubergeek
15,646 Posts
Rear brakes going before the front usually means a throttle-happy driver causing DSC to engage a lot... must be a LOT if you only got 23k out of them!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts