BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I ordered my first BMW a few days ago(550i) and will be picking up Nov 12 this is the cities I have in mind. For a little background I will be turning 26 during this trip and am going with my wife who is the same age. I have been to Europe once before 6 years ago where we did a tour of most of Spain and Italy, my wife has never been. I realize ED may be better for small remote places but this will be the first of many ED's I'm sure and as I said I'm not as well traveled as many of you.

Nov 11: Arrive in Munich at 7:40 am check in, visit city all day and night!

Nov 12: up as early as I can be to pick up my car!! Do tours and see more of Munich in the evening.

Nov 13: leave Munich early(7am) on my way to Prague. Will use nav unless better(prettier/more fun) route is suggested. Be there hopefully around noon check in see city.

Nov 14: all day in Prague.

Nov 15: my Bday wife says she will do the planning this day.

Nov 16: leave Prague on my way to Amsterdam. Basically all day traveling.

Nov 17: all day in Amsterdam.

Nov 18: all day in Amsterdam

Nov 19: leave Amsterdam to Paris.

Nov 20-22: in Paris.

Nov 23: Paris to Zurich

Nov 24: Zurich all day

Nov 25: Zurich to Munich, get car washed and waxed!!! And drop off.

Nov 26: fly back to Atlanta.

As you can see I don't have any clue yet what to see in these cities or what are the best routes to take. Just one possibility though and I'm completely open to any other ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
971 Posts
That is a lot of driving.

I returned from a 25 day ED trip a couple of weeks ago that was also pretty aggressive. We did about 2400 miles total, or about 100 per day average. I highly recommend that, as you have planned, you stay at least 2 nights in each place - you will have time to relax and enjoy yourself!

·
<- Bailey
7,656 Posts
If it was me, and I planned to do all that driving, I would skip Zurich, see Prague then Berlin then Amsterdam, and drop the car in Paris and do public transportation in Paris, and go home from Paris.

I am assuming Prague and Amsterdam and Paris are important to you.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Swapping Zurich for Berlin sounds good I will definitely look into that. As for dropping of in Paris I understand that Munich gets me the car back much quicker and being young and foolish don't mind the extra wheel time at all. Actually I drive quite bit in my every day life and recently did Miami-Atlanta-LA-New York- Atlanta- Miami in an 11 day span. About 7k in miles no copilot. So I'm actually ok with the distances just want to maximize my time in each place and get great recommendations like those above. Thanks for all the insight and keep it coming!

·
Travel Fever
2,745 Posts
That is a long drive from Prague to Amsterdam. Try to find a stop for overnight - Frankfurt, Cologne, Dusseldorf or Wolfsburg, it depends if you want to take the Northern route or Southern route.

No need to wax. Washing the car is really making it easy for inspection during drop off so that damages will be easily spotted. Don't over baby it.

If you shop in Zurich, make sure you find a Custom office stamp your VAT refund paper before leaving Switzerland.

Don't forget winter tires.

·
Color blind photographer
1,730 Posts
With a number of great cities in the itinerary I'd recommend swapping out Zurich for 2 days in the Swiss Alps with a home base near Interlaken - more specifically either Lauterbrunnen, Mürren or Wengen. Zurich is a very nice city but the real beauty of Switzerland is in the mountains. This won't change your driving times all that much either.

·
Travel Fever
2,745 Posts
Swapping Zurich for Berlin sounds good I will definitely look into that. As for dropping of in Paris I understand that Munich gets me the car back much quicker and being young and foolish don't mind the extra wheel time at all. Actually I drive quite bit in my every day life and recently did Miami-Atlanta-LA-New York- Atlanta- Miami in an 11 day span. About 7k in miles no copilot. So I'm actually ok with the distances just want to maximize my time in each place and get great recommendations like those above. Thanks for all the insight and keep it coming!
quicker - it is an incorrect understanding.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Actually when you first mentioned drop off in Paris that got me thinking and if I do swap out Zurich for Berlin I'd cut the longest drive of the trip in two parts. Plus if I drop off on the 20th when I first get to Paris it will allow me to make up a few days of extra travel time(for the car) if there is a longer wait. Not quite sure if that is what your referring to in your post above. It will also save me 500 miles on the car so I will make this change. See this is what's great about this board and this wealth of experience at hand. Thanks again.

·
<- Bailey
7,656 Posts
Actually when you first mentioned drop off in Paris that got me thinking and if I do swap out Zurich for Berlin I'd cut the longest drive of the trip in two parts. Plus if I drop off on the 20th when I first get to Paris it will allow me to make up a few days of extra travel time(for the car) if there is a longer wait. Not quite sure if that is what your referring to in your post above. It will also save me 500 miles on the car so I will make this change. See this is what's great about this board and this wealth of experience at hand. Thanks again.
I put Berlin in there because it is (supposedly, I haven't been there) a great city and someplace the Europeans go but not many Americans yet, and it is on the way to Amsterdam, kinda, and you get some good autobahn in.

I suggested drop off in Paris because you can drop the car at CDG, and then go see Paris, and having a brand-spanking-new BMW in crazy Paris would be, IMO, a very nerve wracking thing. (Ever see that ring around the Arc DeTriomphe? It is crazy driving there.) You can then stay in one of the inner arrondisements and spend some quality time in the heart of Paris.

It might be less wear and tear on the car and on you.

·
The One who Drives.
880 Posts
Swap Lucerne for Zurich. The consensus here is that Zurich is uninteresting and boring and Lucerne is supposed to be hip and fun and beautiful. If I were you I would go Paris - Lake Como (via Foxtown Outlets in Mendrisio, Switzerland to thank your wife for the day in Prague) and stay there two days or so. Then the trip to Munich is relatively painless... But... that is just this: suggestion. :)

·
Can has cheezburger
2,081 Posts
Kam and Dandandio already mentioned this but allow me to reiterate two points -
That's a lot of driving (your original iten is 2700 miles)
and
I'd keep your new BMW out of Paris.

We covered 2400 miles in 16 days on our ED and while the comfortable BMW stood up to the challenge, it felt very rushed and we were a bit tired of driving when we were done. I would encourage you to cut one city out of your itinerary flat out - probably Paris - or drop the car off and take the Eurorail to Paris.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I agree and as such have decided to drop the car off in Paris as soon as I arrive in Paris on the 22 of november. According to google maps my route now is 1900KM which is about 1140 Miles but factoring in about 20% for trips around the cities i'm visiting and detours along the way Im around 1500 Miles which is a pretty relaxed pace for me. As it stands now its Munich-Prague-Berlin-Amsterdam-Paris from the 11th-26th of november(added one extra day) so hopefully I'll be alright. Thanks for all the input and would appreciate any advice anyone has on not to be missed attractions in each city(I realize I can find this on the Internet and believe me i'm looking but since many of you here probably share similar interests as me any advice is welcome)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.