BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still did not reached the 100KM, but the Vanos noise is still there when I first start the car. The car is having 435,000KM, it is 530-2002

Wondering if any thing goes wrong or is it something normal / will go after some time ….!?!

·
BMW FETISH!!!
5,405 Posts
do you mean that the VANOS seals work is useless unless I install the rattle repair kit, in my case?
Rattle has little to do with the seals I think....

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp

·
Registered
15,271 Posts
Seal is to prevent oil from leaking out of the Vanos Unit.
Conceptually, the Vanos seal works almost like the brake caliper piston seal, a good seal allows the piston to work properly.
A leaky brake seal: you lose brake fluid ---> brake failure
A leaky Vanos seal: you lose engine oil but the oil flows back into the engine, so no net oil loss.

Rattle is another issue, usually not a problem for car with 60-80K miles (when the Vanos seal fails). But at 275K miles, you should have done the Vanos rattle repair too. Look at Beisan procedure carefully for rattle. It is basically excessive play and that is all.

Now you are getting good at doing Vanos LOL.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To the OP, are you sure the rattle is from the VANOS?

Does it sound like this?
- VANOS rattling noise video (1) (2)
I think the noise of my vehicle is having less frequency & also not continuous, will be there for one or two minutes then it will disappear. Will check it further & will provide update here ***8230;

·
Registered
6,925 Posts
Given those characteristics, it definitely sounds like Vanos rattle. Typically, Vanos rattle occurs on a cold start and then dissipates as the engine warms up. This is how my b-i-l's e60 (M54) Vanos sounds like. Suggest you try a stethoscope against the Vanos to isolate the source of the rattle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts