BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
zeddy
7,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had a set of Koni externally adjustable shocks (front/rear through TC Kline) paired with H&R springs installed in my former standard suspension 323i. The car is now dropped 1.4 inches in front, 3/4 of an inch rear.

The ride is firm and jouncy (at full firm setting on the Konis), but the handling is much improved, cornering is flatter and on the mini skid pad at a local industrial park, oversteer and understeer must be set at much higher limits than either I or my mechanic felt comfortable trying to explore so close to the woods.

I really dislike the appearance of the lower front, it's just too low, I'd rather it be a half inch higher. I re-aimed the headlights last evening (a cinch in an E46).

I'll try a softer setting for street as the frequency rate is a bit too "fast", picking up too much jiggle at low speed.

First autox with the new set-up is May 22nd.

Clyde, I didn't ignore your advice, but I decided to learn the "hard way", by spending money and taking the risk.......we'll see where it leads, I can always reverse engineer - all it takes is.....more money.

Ed

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
I drove my E34 525i with the Konis set in the full soft position on the street. The independent shop that installed the suspension for me suggested it, and I had heard the same from other sources on the web. I cranked up the Konis about half way for track events.

Occasionally I drove home from these events with the Konis still cranked up and the ride was certainly stiffer...stiffer than it needed to be for the street IMO. Believe me, even at full soft, the suspension will be a huge improvement over stock in terms of handling.

·
zeddy
7,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
PhilH said:
I drove my E34 525i with the Konis set in the full soft position on the street. The independent shop that installed the suspension for me suggested it, and I had heard the same from other sources on the web. I cranked up the Konis about half way for track events.

Occasionally I drove home from these events with the Konis still cranked up and the ride was certainly stiffer...stiffer than it needed to be for the street IMO. Believe me, even at full soft, the suspension will be a huge improvement over stock in terms of handling.
Phil,

Thanks, I did just what you suggested and ran them full soft; it's the right setting for every day street. :thumbup:

These shocks are pretty easy to adjust with one caveat, even with the external adjustability of the rear shocks, pulling that carpet and trim back each time is going to be a pain; I'll have to devise a better system back there.

Ed

·
M Mad
10,476 Posts
Most people end up cutting a small hole to access the top of the shock. With teh stock adjuster it takes a bigger hole, but Ron Stygar over in teh Z forum had some custom made long adjusters.

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
EdCT said:
Thanks, I did just what you suggested and ran them full soft; it's the right setting for every day street.
Glad I could help. :)

Pics? :dunno:

Now that you've dropped it like it's hot, pics will look much cooler. You could even post on fanatics. :eeps: :D

BTW, are these H&R sport or H&R race springs? Sometimes it's confusing trying to figure out, but the part number should tell us for sure. I see three part numbers...29484, 29485 and 50484. Darned if I can tell which one is race and which one is sport based on the discussions on fanatics... :tsk: I think 29484 is sport for cars that have the sport package and 50484 is race for cars with the sport package. If your car does not have the sport package, then 29484 is race.

Judging by the drop you said you have in the front, it sounds like you got 29485.

http://www.hrsprings.com/site/index.html

1 - 5 of 5 Posts