BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just swapped the stock shift lever for the OEM short one yesterday. It took me just a fraction of my evening and $67 for parts from Tischer with free shipping. It feels like I have a new car now :D
I left the old gear knob for now and will buy a shorter one if I feel later that I want even shorter throws. Shifts are much crispier now, and I like it. :thumbup:

·
Registered
199 Posts
I just swapped the stock shift lever for the OEM short one yesterday. It took me just a fraction of my evening and $67 for parts from Tischer with free shipping. It feels like I have a new car now :D
I left the old gear knob for now and will buy a shorter one if I feel later that I want even shorter throws. Shifts are much crispier now, and I like it. :thumbup:
Yeah, it's enough of a difference to make you wonder why BMW didn't include it from the factory!

(I just swapped my stock one out for the $49 ZHP short shift knob at Tischer)

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was an awfully tight space under the car, even though I put jeep rubber floor mats under the Rhino ramps. Definitely not for claustrophobic people :)

·
Registered
108 Posts
What's the procedure? Does it come with directions? Easy? Something I would want to do. I had a short shift in my last car. :thumbup:

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What's the procedure? Does it come with directions? Easy? Something I would want to do. I had a short shift in my last car. :thumbup:
It is pretty much straightforward and is described here: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102808

I didn't buy the whole SSK kit but just a short lever, circlip and a plastic bearing insert. I wasn't sure I would like the knob in the kit, so for now I drive with the old knob. Changing the knob is a 1 minute job, so if I want, I can buy it later and swap at any time.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I did European delivery in April -- picked up my 2008 335i sedan with 6MT. I noticed 2nd gear was a bit notchy/stiff and I've read that others have had the same experience. Did you have that issue and if so, does the short shifter help? Thanks.

- Scott

p.s. My new car has been sitting at the port in California since May 20. Hope it arrives in Colorado soon!

Attachments

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did European delivery in April -- picked up my 2008 335i sedan with 6MT. I noticed 2nd gear was a bit notchy/stiff and I've read that others have had the same experience. Did you have that issue and if so, does the short shifter help? Thanks.

- Scott

p.s. My new car has been sitting at the port in California since May 20. Hope it arrives in Colorado soon!
Well, with a short shifter, almost all gears will "appear" to be somewhat notchy. But I like it: you apply just a small force, and at the right moment the gear lever will slide into its gate, at which time you release the clutch and get almost a perfect shift. If you like to "power shift", forcing the shift lever into each gate, you may dislike a short shifter, as you will have to apply more force.

So, in other words, with a short shifter you get a more direct feel, and it helps to get better shifts.

·
Registered
911 Posts
It is a straight leverage equation. Shorter lever = more force required.

OP, you should put on a fat wheel, you will like that even more than the shifter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts