BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first BMW -- all of my previous cars had an oil change at 1000K and then every 3000 miles. A few lasted 300,000 + miles.

I dont get the BMW thing, 15K does not seem right.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I guess the BMW line is better oil, better materials, better engineering means longer between oil changes.

Most European cars have been 9k+ oil changes for years, though the same car in the US is expected to get a 3k oil change..nice bit of marketing by the Oil companies in the US.

Having said all that, Most guys on the forums will do DIY intermediate oil changes around 5-7k miles.

·
Registered
568 Posts
there is no harm you can do to the car by changing the oil too often.
The main issue with changing oil too often is usually $ & environmental waste.

Most synth these days can let you run upto 10K miles without too much additives depletion. Heck today's dino can let you run upto a 5k OCI without a hickup.

My suggestion is do a 5K OCI & then take a sample for a UOA to get a baseline of what your engine & synth oil can do. Then slowly go up from there if you so incline. This is all based on average 50/50 mix driving @ 15K miles a year. YMMV.

·
M Mad
10,476 Posts
Our Jeep Grand Cherokee has 7500 mile oil change interval using conventional oil.

SYnthetics are normally considered to run 2 to 3 times as long as conventional oils.

Only people still trying to get you to do 3K mile changes is Jiffy Lube, otherwise they don't get enough business.

BMW was 9K miles using convetional back in the 90s.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I think some people obsess too much about motor oil... which to choose, how often to change it. I'd be more concerned about transmission & differential fluid, and brake fluid. BMW says "lifetime" for the differential & transmission stuff, but I'm not a believer. High temps, metal-to-metal contact, no filters, small capacities = changes every 25K miles or every other year for me. Brake fluid is hygroscopic and an annual flush is a good idea. Motor oil is over-engineered, filtered, and there are about seven quarts of it; I don't worry about it much, other than to change it every 6000 miles or once a year, whichever come first.

·
M Mad
10,476 Posts
BMW spec for brake fluid is every 2 years. For street cars, I run Castrol GT LMA. It is less hydroscopic than most fluids.

For cars that end up on track I am running Castrol SRF. Not cheap, but limited loss of performance as it absorbs water vapor.

·
Chairman of the Bored
3,284 Posts
This is my first BMW -- all of my previous cars had an oil change at 1000K and then every 3000 miles. A few lasted 300,000 + miles.

I dont get the BMW thing, 15K does not seem right.
My BMW says 5250 miles to oil service and has about 14.5K miles so the computer is saying almost 20K.

P.S. I think you meant 1K ( not 1000K ).:p

·
M Mad
10,476 Posts
It starts at a nominal 15,525 miles. Then it counts down based on fuel usage. If you drive mainly highway and get good gas mileage, it may go well beyond the 15,525. And I know of people that have counted down in WELL under 9K miles.

And don't forget, there is a requirement to change the oil every year, no matter what the mileage. So if you drive only 2K miles in 12 months, you still need to change the oil.

I was wondering when someone would question the 1,000,000 (1000K) mile oil changes. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts