BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just did the first oil change on this 2002 X5 3.0i we got recently. I noticed when I removed the oil fill cap that there is some dark brown, kind of chalky substance all around on the inside top of the head there.

Any ideas on what that's from?

·
Registered
833 Posts
So I just did the first oil change on this 2002 X5 3.0i we got recently. I noticed when I removed the oil fill cap that there is some dark brown, kind of chalky substance all around on the inside top of the head there.

Any ideas on what that's from?
A bad CCV.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been reading quite a bit about the the whole ccv issue, this doesn't seem to be the case, but suppose it could be as I don't know too much about it. It's like a dark reddish/brown carbon substance, I can scrape it up under my fingernail.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I've been reading quite a bit about the the whole ccv issue, this doesn't seem to be the case, but suppose it could be as I don't know too much about it. It's like a dark reddish/brown carbon substance, I can scrape it up under my fingernail.
If it doesn't look like brown "mayonnaise" then it's probably not your CCV. I put a brand new filler cap on my X5 last year and it has developed the same stuff you're describing. I think it's normal.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I searched a little more and found basically the same. Maybe not desirable, but to be expected somewhat from short trips, etc...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just being a little paranoid I guess, trying to figure out this cars tendencies and what I can do to avoid future known, common issues this vehicle has.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts