BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, everyone! I've been on the board for some time, but never posted. This is my first post and I am going to ask for some advice, if you don't mind :)

I am planning on buying/leasing 330Ci in a month or two. I've heard many times that I should expect less of a deal on the coupe than a sedan. Is this true? I am also looking for a good dealer to work with. I am looking in upsate NY, NJ, and eastern PA area.

I currently drive Nissan Maxima. I know that the 3's handling will be much better, but will I feel more power with 330? HP rating is about the same (Maxima 222, 330 225). 330 being a rear wheel drive and being maybe slightly lighter, I assume I would. I should go test drive I guess.

Now for the hardest part. Color. What color would you say look the best on the coupe? I know it is very personal issue. But, I can't decide among Steel Gray, Topaz Blue, and Orient Blue. I have only seen Steel Gray and Topaz Blue in person. Topaz Blue looks great under shade, but under bright sun it looks, well, too blue. I am sort of leaning toward steel gray, but my wife likes topaz blue a lot. Hmmm, decisions, decisions.... :eek:

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
HKCi said:
Hello, everyone! I've been on the board for some time, but never posted. This is my first post and I am going to ask for some advice, if you don't mind :)

I am planning on buying/leasing 330Ci in a month or two. I've heard many times that I should expect less of a deal on the coupe than a sedan. Is this true? I am also looking for a good dealer to work with. I am looking in upsate NY, NJ, and eastern PA area.

I currently drive Nissan Maxima. I know that the 3's handling will be much better, but will I feel more power with 330? HP rating is about the same (Maxima 222, 330 225). 330 being a rear wheel drive and being maybe slightly lighter, I assume I would. I should go test drive I guess.

Now for the hardest part. Color. What color would you say look the best on the coupe? I know it is very personal issue. But, I can't decide among Steel Gray, Topaz Blue, and Orient Blue. I have only seen Steel Gray and Topaz Blue in person. Topaz Blue looks great under shade, but under bright sun it looks, well, too blue. I am sort of leaning toward steel gray, but my wife likes topaz blue a lot. Hmmm, decisions, decisions.... :eek:
lemme give this a shot

(1) i think you can get similar deals on coupes and sedans. coupes are more popular, but the e46 isnt a new car anymore so you should be able to find a good deal. coupes do cost more than sedans though.

(2) dont know about dealers, but make sure this post gets bumped monday, as lots of festers are in the area

(3) you shoud feel more power. i havent driven a maxima, but bmw HP numbers arent a measure of the feel. these cars feel/drive faster than the listed HP numbers

(4) color. you said it yourself "it's a very personal issue" nothing anyone says here will really influence you. esp since you dont know any of us. as basically we're all strangers. that being said, steel gray is the color that will show the least dirt. oblue will require the most detailing to keep looking nice. topaz is nice. it is def a color that changes with lighting. me, i have steel blue, but almost went with steel gray

·
Registered
33 Posts
Welcome HKCi

Here's my input, FWIW....

1. I don't think there's any significant difference in the type of deal you can get between a coupe and sedan.

2. If you want to be treated like a human and not a potential profit center, go to Hunterdon BMW on route 22 in lebanon, NJ. It's a really, really tiny dealership (smallest in NJ I think) but they were the ONLY ones who treated me like a human being. When I was shopping, they tossed me the keys to a 330ci and let me drive away by myself for a nice long test drive. Ask for Jerry, he'll treat you right.

3. Nissan Maximas are great cars, I had one for a month while my old car was in the body shop. Great, strong engine. It's not a BMW, though. There's nothing I've found out there that's comparable to the whole package of handling, power, luxury, and class that BMW has. Once you drive one, you'll see what I mean, and you'll never look back. Worth every penny. The 0-60 time will probably be comparable to a maxima, but the max doesn't have the power reserves at high speeds (80-100mph) that the BMW does, doesn't have the same broad torque curve, and just doesn't drive with the same verve and magic.

4. Color is personal as everyone has said. I have sapphire black which is sort of between steel grey and jet black. It's not significantly easier to keep clean than jet black. Next time I'll probably just get jet black and save the $$. I just think a BMW looks best in black, very classy and classic.

Good luck and get out there and drive!!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
407 Posts
I have driven Nissans, Audis, Volvos and VW before buying 330. There is just absolutely no comparison. Don't look at the numbers so much. Just take the car out and test drive it. Change the gears, take it on some fast sweeping off ramps, see how it's planted on the road, make some abrupt lane changes (within reason obviously). I guarantee you that a 325 (which I test drove as well) will be more fun to drive than any of the cars I listed above. Engine displacement and HP should not be a decisive factor, otherwise you would be buying a Buick.
Color, as mentioned, completely individual thing but everyone knows that black bimmers look the best (no bias here obviously). To me it was a choice between orient blue and jet black. I picked jet black. It's a ***** to keep clean and swirl free especially that I am not big on cleaning and detailing the car. I do use Zaino though and after a good wash it looks almost like new. If yu want a low maintanance color go for titanium silver, steel gray or steel blue (my 3rd choice).

·
•••••••
16,117 Posts
Try for $1500 over dealer invoice. Anything under $2000 over dealer invoice is a good deal, though.

You'll feel more power. German horses are bigger than Japanese horses. :D

O-Blue!! The classy timelessness of black, with a little more life, a little more verve.

·
Car Junkie
3,390 Posts
Welcome to the fest! :) Based on what I've seen around here (Washington D.C. suburbs) coupes go for a little more than sedans. However, you should be able to get a good deal on either one. As for color, that's a very personal choice. Do your best to find examples of the colors you're interested in - this may be difficult, depending on the availability of the car in your area. The brochure color swatches will not help you at all. When I had my 330Ci on order (canceled for a '99 M3), I decided on Topaz. Good luck.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks very much guys for the input. I also found that the colors shown on the brochure and on the BMW website aren't helpful at all :thumbdwn: It seems that I must see the car in person to decide what color I like. Steel Blue also looks tempting...... On the other hand I should keep my wife happy also..... :eek: I should try to visit as many dealers as possible to see all the colors I am considering (I've only seen Topas Blue and Steel Gray). I guess I will have plenty of time to ponder on this :D

You guys are right. I should compare the total package, not just numbers.

So $1500-$2000 over invoice seems to be a good deal. So since I am looking for a coupe I should expect closer to $2000 over invoce. Sounds good.

Any more dealer suggestions? How about the following dealers?

In Upsate NY:
Gault Auto Sport
Burdick BMW
Holtz House Of Vehicles, Inc.
Carbone BMW
Towne BMW

In NJ:
Open Road BMW
King Cars
Hunterdon BMW - thanks for your input debaser330ci
Park Avenue BMW
Princeton BMW
Prestige BMW

To name a few (I don't know any in eastern PA, but they would be close to me). Thanks again for your guys help! I should go test drive soon.

·
2,457 Posts
I might be able to add a little to the Maxima vs. 330 feel. Earlier this year, I hooked my mom up with a new 255hp Maxima. Her's is a th slushbox though. It really is a quick car, and I equated it (speed-wise) to the 323i (5sp), I was driving at the time. However, the suspension was far better in my bimmer. They both have the sport package.

I've since traded my 323i for the 330i. This car is much quicker than her's (seat of the pants feel). The Maxima just feels like a heavier car driving it.

Hope that helps.

·
10,856 Posts
The Maxima is kind of scary in the corners when you're used to RWD/AWD cars. You go into the corner and realize you have no throttle control over the car...

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hey there -- I'm a newbie myself, having ordered my car in early July and picking it up next week through European Delivery -- looking forward to it!

I can't offer as much as the other 'festers, but here's for what it's worth:

1) On dealers -- I got my car from Park Ave BMW in NJ (201) 843-7900 -- easy to work a deal over invoice, and I got great treatment from Mike Messinger (ext. 247), who is a car enthusiast and went out of his way to make the European Delivery deal happen on my limited vacation schedule, so I highly recommend talking to him.

2) on color -- I got a orient blue with sand interior -- my reasoning was that 1) it's a classy look that's understated but elegant and 2) it's still relatively unique. I saw a 330i convertible the other day with the same exact combo, top down, and all spiffied up -- man, that thing looked nice:thumbup: Just my 2 cents.

Good luck to you!

·
Registered
12,204 Posts
dont know about dealers, but if your getting a manual tranny, you should be better that the 222 version maxima. altima... thats another story.

color, man I would have to say titanium silver or topaz blue. black interior on the silver, sand or brown on the blue, BUT BUT BUT if you have the extra 2 grand, get individual color and interior, its 1 thousand a piece... interior/exterior... here is a link.

http://www.bmw.com/bmwe/products/individual2/index.html

·
Registered
362 Posts
I just got a great deal on the 2003 330 coupe, I know that they are available, even in Atlanta where the 3-series is the more common than a Chevy Cavalier...very high demand.

I really wrestled over the color choice, it is so much harder when you have the option of picking any color you want for your car instead of the one or two available on the lot. I liked Orient Blue, have always thought it was a very classy color. I also like the Silver and the steel gray. I then eliminated the steel gray completely, it it just too drab for me, when the OB is classy and the Silver is sporty.

My last 2 cars have been silver and I love the color, but nothing compares to the blue that BMW uses for OB. Also, almost everyone here has the silver BMW. It is so monotonous to see a BMW here and it always be silver.

I went for the OB. If one can't afford a nice detail on occasion to keep it looking nice, then maybe one should think twice about buying a BMW. All the fuss about how to keep it clean, just do it. If you love the car, take care of it, if you don't have time yourself, pay someone to clean it. If you can't afford that, then stick to the Maximas or try the infinity for an upgrade.

I got the OB with Natural Brown, haven't seen any in person, I know it will be HOT, ORIGINAL, and CLASSY.

All just my very biased, personal opinions, not meant to inflame anyone at all.

·
Registered
12,204 Posts
rbright said:
I just got a great deal on the 2003 330 coupe, I know that they are available, even in Atlanta where the 3-series is the more common than a Chevy Cavalier...very high demand.

I really wrestled over the color choice, it is so much harder when you have the option of picking any color you want for your car instead of the one or two available on the lot. I liked Orient Blue, have always thought it was a very classy color. I also like the Silver and the steel gray. I then eliminated the steel gray completely, it it just too drab for me, when the OB is classy and the Silver is sporty.

My last 2 cars have been silver and I love the color, but nothing compares to the blue that BMW uses for OB. Also, almost everyone here has the silver BMW. It is so monotonous to see a BMW here and it always be silver.

I went for the OB. If one can't afford a nice detail on occasion to keep it looking nice, then maybe one should think twice about buying a BMW. All the fuss about how to keep it clean, just do it. If you love the car, take care of it, if you don't have time yourself, pay someone to clean it. If you can't afford that, then stick to the Maximas or try the infinity for an upgrade.

I got the OB with Natural Brown, haven't seen any in person, I know it will be HOT, ORIGINAL, and CLASSY.

All just my very biased, personal opinions, not meant to inflame anyone at all.
argh should have checked out the individual program.:tsk:

Seriously though congrats. And, I got silver cuz it was my favorite color, and I did not know about individual, so no offense taken.

·
Registered
362 Posts
In all seriousness....

You cannot go wrong with any color combination on the beautiful BMW. Pick the color that you like most. Just do not pick anything because someone tells you it is easier to clean or shows less dirt or is more popular (or less).

It is your dream car, just create it however you wish, it will never be wrong, it will always be beautiful to the most important person...YOU.

Just remember, to make it proud, and spend the time to keep it beautiful, it will reward you for many many years.

BTW...Thanks for the Individual link, I had no idea it existed. Now there is where I think someone mgiht get into trouble with color combinations...of couse it would be a personal choice, but my my there can be some awful mistakes. Thinking of Mary Kay, colored Bimmers floating around....of course if it is free.....I'll take two in the brightest pink you can find.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Thanks for the individual link. I didn't know it was avalable to US customers. Frankly, I didn't like any of the colors that were avalable :dunno: They were kind of, well, "extreme". Or should I say "pimpy" - no offense to anyone who happens to like the colors available.

LarryN: so speed wise 323 would be comparable to 255hp Max? Hmm, I doubt that. Even with the slush box 255 Max should out accelerate 323. True, Max is heavier therefore 323 should out handle the Max, but I don't know about 323 being faster :dunno:

I have no problem with detialing the car myself. And I have no problem with car being a little dirty. So factors like this color gets less dirty is not really consideration for me. What I want is to look best when it's clean. When car gets dirty no matter how less visible the dirt is you can see that the car needs cleaning. Seems like darker colors like OB looks the best when it is clean. Hmm, but TB looks so beatiful under shade.

Any input for other dealers? Which dealer lets you drive alooone? I hate when a salesperson tags along, so imposing :tsk:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.