BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

· Freude am Fahren
19,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just back from Germany and Austria after spending a week with the new (for America) Porsche Cayenne Diesel. Here's my first of several reports.
First Look: 2013 Porsche Cayenne Diesel - Review and Report

Coming to America this September

By Jonathan Spira
While the idea of a Porsche SUV was somewhat controversial in 2002 when the Porsche Cayenne was introduced, it was met with great success and turned out to be a true high-performance SUV, with excellent handling and powerful engines including a V-8 and a turbo-charged V-8. Later on, V-6 and diesel-powered variants were offered, the latter having been introduced at the 2009 Geneva International Motor Show and having gone on sale shortly thereafter. Although the V-8 was sold in North America, the diesel version wasn't imported. …

Starting in September, in addition to the traditional gasoline powerplants, Porsche will be offering U.S. buyers a diesel variant, the 2013 Porsche Cayenne Diesel, which was unveiled this past April at the 2012 New York International Automobile Show.
<SNIP>
Read the full story »

· Oil Burners Rule!
1,372 Posts
A $7,000 premium for a diesel? I hope that price includes lots of "optional equipment" along with the engine.

· Registered
6,616 Posts
Jon, in a related story it mentioned the new Q7 would be getting the same engine as the Cayenne diesel, 240 hp and the same torque. I guess the Porsche engineers that "breathed upon" their diesel also exhaled on the Audi as well. Well, its all in the family (VAG) now I guess. Nice to see this one coming across the pond!:angel:

· Registered
5,715 Posts
If BMW manages to mess up the next gen X5d or Audi messes up the next gen Q7, I will have this Porsche in my driveway.

My local dealer is supposed to get their TDI Cayenne any time now. I'm waiting for it to take it for a spin. Apparently, they're already at the port in Newark.

· Registered
4,058 Posts
I should just go kick the tires on one of these. Though I dread stepping into the local Porsche dealership. They have the worst sales people. Have to look around and see where the other dealers are.

· Registered
1,523 Posts
1. The engine is single or twin turbo?

2. The mileage for European version is rated as follows:
City l/100 km 8,4; Highway l/100 km 6,5; Mix l/100 km 7,2

I understand the worst mileage in the US results mainly from different measurement standard?

3. I see only 204 PS and 245 PS TDI in Audi Q7 for European market. I do not see engine rated at 225 PS

4. Do you know whether (if) Audi brings A6 diesel (preferably station wagon) to the US? I lost my hope that BMW will offer 5 series diesel anytime soon.

· Registered
1,523 Posts
Maybe the US version has more emissions requirements and because of that is rated differently.
US versions are usually downgraded in terms of power - I would assume the car consumes less fuel then... but not sure - some say that after chipping cars use less fuel

It's a shame station wagons are not popular in the US...

· Registered
1,654 Posts
AdBlue allows for the use of less restrictive EGR and other pollution control methods since it is treating the exhaust - after it leaves the engine. Theoretically, engines that use AdBlue should be more fuel efficient, have better power, and give longer service life.

Examples are the VW Jetta vs. the VW Passat. The Jetta has no AdBlue and had the same fuel economy as the heavier Passat from the same engine. We should be happy with having AdBlue from a performance point of view.

PL

· Registered
1,523 Posts
They're downgraded due to the AdBlue system.

The M57 made more power in Europe without the use of AdBlue.
they are not downgraded due to AdBlue. X5 3.0 diesel is available with AdBlue system in Europe and it is not downgraded in terms of power (in comparison to 3.0 diesel without the system)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.