Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new 2018 vehicle 3 wks ago - which has a late MAY 2018 production date.

Surprised by the dash message that first service due in JUNE or 9,000 miles (I've got just over 1,000 on the odo).

Stopped by my local dealer today, and they said service intervals start at Production date, not In-Service date. Seems kind of a waste.

Thought first Service around your first anniversary date was prudent. Guess not.

·
Premium Member
2018 540i MSport
8,746 Posts
Never happened to me. My current BMW is an '18 540i
Built on 10/5/17, took delivery Nov 30. My service intervals are based on the November date.

·
Happily Driving
2018 X5
7,041 Posts
How long has that car been sitting on the dealer's lot? Was it a service loaner or something? Wouldn't you want to have the oil change interval based on when people started test driving it?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure. Probably hit dealer lot around June 2018.

I bought it first week in February 2019 (only 18 miles on Odo) in KY, and drove it home to FL. So, it literally just sat on their lot.

·
Happily Driving
2018 X5
7,041 Posts
Not sure. Probably hit dealer lot around June 2018.

I bought it first week in February 2019 (only 18 miles on Odo) in KY, and drove it home to FL. So, it literally just sat on their lot.
The dealer probably skipped a step of the delivery prep.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
My 2017 540xDrive has a Jan 10, 2017 production date; I bought it early March 2017 shortly after it arrived at my dealer. My service reminders (only had 2 so far) first appeared in February (as I recall it was the usual "Your BMW Service is due - contact your dealer .... etc) and each of the services were performed mid-late Feb. Since the OP's production and delivery dates are more widely spaced I'd recommend that the the BMW paid services don't run out the clock before the owner/leaser has had possession for a full 3 YEARS/36 months.

·
Registered
111 Posts
My 2017 540xDrive has a Jan 10, 2017 production date; I bought it early March 2017 shortly after it arrived at my dealer. My service reminders (only had 2 so far) first appeared in February (as I recall it was the usual "Your BMW Service is due - contact your dealer .... etc)
My 2018 540i, early Jan 2018 production date, bought March 8, service reminder end of Jan 2019. Serviced this week.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Same thing happened to us. We purchased a 2018 X5 35d on Jan 3 this year that had a production date of March 2018 and we have 2400 miles on it and we already received the service warning for an oil change. That seems way earlier - right and now it will count as one of the free services. Never had that happen before with any of the BMW's I have purchased. Not sure what to do.

·
Registered
12,232 Posts
I thought oil change recommendations were based on two things...either mileage or time. For instance, if you had the old oil recommendation it was 12k/1yr or 15K/1yr...and the new recommendation is 10k/1yr.

For those that drive less than the recommended mileage...they fall under the "time" interval of an annual oil change. Check your owners manual for verification. :)

·
Premium Member
2018 540i MSport
8,746 Posts
I thought oil change recommendations were based on two things...either mileage or time. For instance, if you had the old oil recommendation it was 12k/1yr or 15K/1yr...and the new recommendation is 10k/1yr.

For those that drive less than the recommended mileage...they fall under the "time" interval of an annual oil change. Check your owners manual for verification. :)
How does this relate to the thread? Are you implying that unused oil sitting in an engine in a car waiting to be sold counts as "time"? I don't think so. The service indicator should be set at the time the car is placed in service.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Same thing happened to us. We purchased a 2018 X5 35d on Jan 3 this year that had a production date of March 2018 and we have 2400 miles on it and we already received the service warning for an oil change. That seems way earlier - right and now it will count as one of the free services. Never had that happen before with any of the BMW's I have purchased. Not sure what to do.
My understanding is that the free maintenance is for the first 36 months. If your car says it needs an extra oil change, within the parameters, it should be covered.

But, of course, you want to have BMW reset the start clock to the sale date. If they sold the car to you as new, then the start date should be when you bought it. If they want to set the start date earlier, then they are selling you a used car and they owe you a refund for selling you a car as new under a false representation.

·
Registered
111 Posts
How does this relate to the thread? Are you implying that unused oil sitting in an engine in a car waiting to be sold counts as "time"? I don't think so. The service indicator should be set at the time the car is placed in service.
Nope, oil breaks down over time, doesn't matter whether the car stays parked or is being operated.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update:

For what its worth, I talked to the Service Mgr. at the dealer I purchased the vehicle at in KY. He indicated that the first Service is based upon the "wholesale date" - meaning the date the vehicle is received/registered into the local BMW dealer system. (usually within 72 hours of delivery to the dealer's lot).

So, not the Production date, but Dealer receipt date starts the Maintenance clocking ticking.

Still seems like a bit of a waste to me, but BMW must have a good reason for that policy.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Seems this policy only becomes noticeable with cars that have sat on the lot for several months. I don't think there's any issue with getting an early oil change because, AFAIK, there isn't a fixed number of free oil changes you get during the warranty period. If the car needs oil service because of time or mileage the service is free if you're within the warranty period.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Update:

For what its worth, I talked to the Service Mgr. at the dealer I purchased the vehicle at in KY. He indicated that the first Service is based upon the "wholesale date" - meaning the date the vehicle is received/registered into the local BMW dealer system. (usually within 72 hours of delivery to the dealer's lot).

So, not the Production date, but Dealer receipt date starts the Maintenance clocking ticking.

Still seems like a bit of a waste to me, but BMW must have a good reason for that policy.
Sheer utter nonsense. I just checked the maintenance booklet that came with my 2018 530e. It says, among other things:

"Coverage begins on the date of first retail sale or the date the vehicle is first placed into service as a sales demonstrator...."

Look at your paper booklet and then consider whether you need another dealership; this seems way more interested in protecting BMW than you!

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Here's the terms of the BMW Canada warranty, taken off the BMW Canada Web site...

"The warranty period is for 4 years or 80,000 kilometres, whichever occurs first, and begins on the date of first retail sale, or the date the vehicle is placed in service as a demonstrator or company vehicle, whichever is earlier".

Is it possible that, for the oil service, the clock actually starts ticking when the car is delivered to the dealer instead of the date of the first retail sale? This would make sense if there actually is an issue with deterioration of the oil even when the car isn't being driven.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Here's the terms of the BMW Canada warranty, taken off the BMW Canada Web site...

"The warranty period is for 4 years or 80,000 kilometres, whichever occurs first, and begins on the date of first retail sale, or the date the vehicle is placed in service as a demonstrator or company vehicle, whichever is earlier".

Is it possible that, for the oil service, the clock actually starts ticking when the car is delivered to the dealer instead of the date of the first retail sale? This would make sense if there actually is an issue with deterioration of the oil even when the car isn't being driven.
Okay. I see the point. Good catch. But if I were the OP I would want confirmation that BMW is still running the clock on free maintenance from the purchase date.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts