1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
This stinks of the Lincoln/Caddy game of couple of years ago.

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kaz said:
This stinks of the Lincoln/Caddy game of couple of years ago.
It sounds like either Merc is playing sour grapes, or BMW is playing "WorldCom" accounting practices on their sales figure.

It also smacks of the mid '90s numbers game with Toyota/Honda. I think one year Honda managed to take the highest selling sedan in U.S. honor by including Fleet Sales and internal sales in their figure to beat Toyota by a very small margin or something like that.

I guess the "illusion" of successful marketing must tie into someone's job security or something. I wouldn't be surprised if someone is getting a fatter bonus check this year by able to post a higher number than Mercedes.

·
2001 M3:Stick, what else?
3,300 Posts
$8,000 discount to dealers on 7-series?? LOL! Perhaps BMW wants to compete better with VW's Phaeton!

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
nate328Ci said:
I read the article this morning, if MB is right, BMW put dealer incentives on the 7 to set the 1/2 yr. sales records and stay in the lead. June was a weak month for both BMW and MB premium cars
I knew I'd get a response from Nate if I put the title "TD might be right." :lmao:

Funny thing is, I get "Automotive News" weekly and NEVER read anything about that $8,000 incentive, and AN reports ALL factory to dealer incentives, period...Must be new, I'm a couple of weeks behind on AN (newsletter circulates among the Marketing department here, I'm usually the last one to get it).

There was a $12,000 incentive to push Range Rovers last month, ended on July 1st.

·
Bimmerfest Founder
15,461 Posts
RE:

The story is pure B.S.,and you can quote me on that...

The so-called $8K "incentive" only applies to vehicle retailed after July 1st, and therefore does not apply to vehicles retailed during the month of June. Period. End of story.

Furthermore, this so-called "incentive" is not an "incentive at all. It is a Loaner/Demo program allowance that BMWNA has given it retail partners in order to mitigate the expense burden in relation to the recently announced software update campaign for the 7 series.

Wreckless accusations followed by wreckless journalism.

Mercedes-Benz is weak!!!!!

:flipoff:

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Re: RE:

Jon Shafer said:

The so-called $8K "incentive" only applies to vehicle retailed after July 1st, and therefore does not apply to vehicles retailed during the month of June. Period. End of story.

Furthermore, this so-called "incentive" is not an "incentive at all. It is a Loaner/Demo program allowance that BMWNA has given it retail partners in order to mitigate the expense burden in relation to the recently announced software update campaign for the 7 series.

I knew we could count on you, Jon! :thumbup: :thumbup:

The guys that posted in the 7 forum were right

Remember this thread about sales? http://bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8918&highlight=sales

My post at the bottom seemed to shut TD up :dunno:

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Say it ain't so... Shit like that happens in ALL market segments... MB saying shit about BMW carries NO weight AFAIC...

·
A sudden sense of liberty
3,939 Posts

Jon Shafer said:

To be fair, the story does distinguish between the 8K incentive and the allegedly suspicious first half sales figures. It notes that, in addition to the alleged problems in the first half, an incentive is now being offered.

I'm not exactly sure what the difference is between an "incentive" and a "program allowance," though. How is this related to the software recall?

G

·
Re: Re: RE:

nate328Ci said:

My post at the bottom seemed to shut TD up :dunno:
Shut me up?! Last I checked, I had not contributed to this thread.

I never said anything in this thread as I do not know ANYTHING personally about the allegations. I have said that the BMWNA press releases are pure spin (mentioning month to month sales changes when they are positive and ignoring them completely when they are negative) but that's the extent of my past comments re: sales.

Leave me out of this. My opinion of the car in question is well known. I have nothing to add.

And I do resent the comment from you I quoted above.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts

Jon Shafer said:

I'm more and more convinced of that too, Jon.

What amazes me is that in spite the fact that the new 7 looks like crap, and that other companies' designs are MUCH more attractive, etc, MB seems to be really worried because they just won't quit taking cheap shots at BMW... :tsk:

I truly despise that kind of "healthy competition"...

·
Bimmerfest Founder
15,461 Posts
Re: Re: RE:

JST said:

I'm not exactly sure what the difference is between an "incentive" and a "program allowance," though. How is this related to the software recall?
An "incentive" is an allowance provided by the manufacturer to the dealer, intended to make it easier to retail an otherwise slow-moving dog (by "cheap-selling" it). In the vernacular of the car biz we call it "trunk money"... E65's are in short supply, sell quickly, and "bring all of the money" (i.e. they sell for full sticker in most cases).

The software recall is a potential problem, admittedly. The allowance gives us a 745i as a loaner car to give our 7-Series customers whilest their cars are in for the update.

·
A sudden sense of liberty
3,939 Posts
Re: Re: Re: RE:

Jon Shafer said:

An "incentive" is an allowance provided by the manufacturer to the dealer, intended to make it easier to retail an otherwise slow-moving dog (by "cheap-selling" it). In the vernacular of the car biz we call it "trunk money"... E65's are in short supply, sell quickly, and "bring all of the money" (i.e. they sell for full sticker in most cases).

The software recall is a potential problem, admittedly. The allowance gives us a 745i as a loaner car to give our 7-Series customers whilest their cars are in for the update.
Ah. Makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.

·
Banned
20,151 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: RE:

TD said:
Look at his post count. NOTHING shuts Nate up. He must be on teh can or something. :p
I can NOT control my laughter at this moment. :lmao:

Have to keep it down, family is sleeping.

Thanks TD! :thumbup:

Patrick

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Re: Re: Re: RE:

TD said:

Shut me up?! Last I checked, I had not contributed to this thread.
I was not referring to this thread, but the one that I LINKED to about sales.

You said how it was a bomb, etc; I proved that you were full of it again and got no response :dunno:

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: RE:

TD said:

Look at his post count. NOTHING shuts Nate up. He must be on teh can or something. :p
I was taking a nap because I was about to pass out I was so tired...

And, if I were a senator, my filibuster right would be used quite often :p

1 - 20 of 26 Posts