Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.. I'm about to lease my first BMW and the dealer suggests I pay $600 for "AutoGuard" protection... essentially, it's a policy that covers excess wear/tear items at the end of the lease like stains on carpeting, tires, wheels, chipped glass,dings/minor dents. I treat my cars like gold but after 36 months, a few dings, scratches, blah blah blah are hard to avoid. Does this sound like it's worth it? How bad is BMW when it comes to judging your car at the end of the lease? Just getting a little nervous.... thanks!!!!!

:dunno:

·
Registered
864 Posts
Not worth it. In my past experience, most leasing companies accept minor dings and scratches as normal wear and tear. This policy sounds like additional dealer profit.

·
Dog fight anyone?
1,066 Posts
jmatero said:
Hi all.. I'm about to lease my first BMW and the dealer suggests I pay $600 for "AutoGuard" protection... essentially, it's a policy that covers excess wear/tear items at the end of the lease like stains on carpeting, tires, wheels, chipped glass,dings/minor dents. I treat my cars like gold but after 36 months, a few dings, scratches, blah blah blah are hard to avoid. Does this sound like it's worth it? How bad is BMW when it comes to judging your car at the end of the lease? Just getting a little nervous.... thanks!!!!!

A waste in my opinion, just more F&I profit for the dealer.

Standard wear and tear on a lease is expected which includes means small dings and small scratches. Anything more than that you can fix under insurance which typically has a deductable less than $600.

Don't worry so much...

·
Registered
191 Posts
If it's a BMWNA lease they have standard charges for all manner of damage. Ask your sales representative for that chart and make an informed decision. :thumbup:

·
Banned
8,650 Posts
jmatero said:

Find another dealer. This is bogus.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Cancel Autoguard after 1 week?

Ok...just curious is anyone has done this.

I just got my 2007 335i beamer and was of course fooled into getting this "AutoGuard". errr. Anyway, I want to make it go away.

I read on the back that i have 60 days to cancel but before I go in there all huffy puffy I want to know if there is anyone out there that has done this or has any info on doing this.

Thanks.

·
Registered
161 Posts
It sounds similar to if not identical to the policy I got through the dealer. I think I paid less than $600. Three things sold me on it: 1. It covers replacement tires so I don't have the hassle of putting new tires on before I turn in the car (more than $600 from what I've read); 2. It covers up to 1,000 excess miles (at $0.16/mile that's $160 right there); and 3. Since it has $5,000 coverage I'm pretty sure I can walk away from the car at the end of the lease and not worry about fixing/repairing anything, dealing with insurance/body shops, etc.

I also thought about canceling and decided for me it was worth it.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts

Interesting. I actually asked my dealer if such a program existed. He laughed, and said why? He then went onto say that such a program is silly, becuase they are very liberal with wear/tear at the end of a lease anyway...He then said, "don't worry about it."

·
Registered
157 Posts
I was also offered something similar for end-of-lease damage up to $5000 for a price tag of $895. I turned it down, of course, but the F&I guy wasn't really pushing it hard. They offer all kinds of extras and all you have to do is initial the form saying that you are refusing it. I wouldn't switch dealerships because they offered me something I can readily refuse.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I've returned many leased vehicles with normal wear/tear and haven't yet been hassled.
You're particularly "inoculated" if intending to purchase/lease another vehicle from the dealership.

·
Registered
262 Posts
the window tint dragon is still alive & well...seems clear that BMW will NOT accept aftermarket tint..without a "third party" inspection..ie: you pay for this...

but many on this forum swear up & down "they never say anything about it.."

seems like one of the most empathic points in the guide should just be glossed over...

hmmm

·
Registered
229 Posts
I have had varying experiences at lease-end. I've been through three lease-end inspections with BMW. I've found that they are truly liberal with minor scratches and even small "dings" as evidenced by their lease-end standards. However, I did have one "super-inspector" (I'm being kind) who wrote me up for water stains on the inside of my convertible top and a carpet stain. I was able to get the charge for the water stains removed after explaining that I had not popped any champagne bottles in the car and there was no other plausible explanation for how they could have been MY fault. My latest inspection lasted five minutes at the most and the inspector gave my car a clean bill of health.

That being said, if you live in a high-density, high-traffic area, it is almost certain that you will have key scratches on your car's body and bumpers and having insurance may make you feel better about it. I've had to spend hundreds of dollars before each lease-end to get these things cleaned up. It's really a personal preference. For the msot part, I have found BMWFS to be pretty fair about wear and tear.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Ok...just got back from the dealer. They are taking the AUTOGUARD off of my lease. Thank goodness. After looking at the link provided above to BMW USA's "Wear and Tear Guidelines", I am pretty confident that it will be OK. Plus, a lot of you have said that you only paid $600 - $895. They charged me $1096 for it so that made me want to take it off even more.

So, at this time i will be paying:

- $496/month
- $3250 down
- .0020 MF (i know this could have been a tad lower...argh)
- $44750 sale price
- $47995 msrp
- 64% residual

2007 BMW 335i
Sports Package, Premium Package, navigational, etc etc etc. :)

·
Registered
346 Posts
- $496/month
- $3250 down
instead of putting money down, go with MSD's - that will lower your MF and you will get your money back at the end of the lease. Do search for MSD on this forum for more information.

·
Registered
49 Posts
instead of putting money down, go with MSD's - that will lower your MF and you will get your money back at the end of the lease. Do search for MSD on this forum for more information.
Unfortunately i found this forum too late. I already got the car with the down. It was basically my car which they value at $2750 and then my cash out of pocket was $500.

not that bad, right? Didn't know any better.

·
Banned
561 Posts
Ok...just got back from the dealer. They are taking the AUTOGUARD off of my lease. Thank goodness. After looking at the link provided above to BMW USA's "Wear and Tear Guidelines", I am pretty confident that it will be OK. Plus, a lot of you have said that you only paid $600 - $895. They charged me $1096 for it so that made me want to take it off even more.
Sounds like the dealer needs some excessive "Wear and Tear" done to his butthole.

·
Registered
117 Posts
If you lease/buy another BMW from them at the end of your current lease, they will make EVERYTHING go away, trust me!

·
Registered
31 Posts

So, at this time i will be paying:

- $496/month
- $3250 down
- $44750 sale price
- $47995 msrp
- 64% residual

2007 BMW 335i
Sports Package, Premium Package, navigational, etc etc etc. :)

Dayum... I paid $1200 for autoguard. I'm going back to my dealer. I'm still under 60 days from signing.
Sam

1 - 20 of 20 Posts