BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After much (felt like waaaay too much) waiting I finally picked up my new car on Wednesday and thought I'd share some thoughts. Yeah there's a ton of mini reviews from buyers on here already but I never get tired of reading them so I suspect most of you don't either. :)

My last car was a Cadillac CTS DI AWD, the best car I had owned prior to this one. I liked my CTS a lot, but there's no doubt thet this BMW is a vastly superior car in pretty much every way. It's fair to say I always wanted a 5 series and a big part of the reason I put off buying one until now was terrible differences in pricing between Canada in the US until recently. When I bought my last car three years ago there was only about a $3000 difference between a CTS in Canada and the US, but even a middle range 5 series was about $20,000 more here in Canada!)

Anyhow, I picked the 535i (enough power for me), with x-drive (AWD is indispensible up here from December-March) and most of the performance features. Got the "sport package" which here gets you 19" wheels that I love, the antracite headliner, sport automatic 8 speed transmission, the paddle shifters and the awesome sport steering wheel (oooh I love this wheel). Got the "dynamic handling pacake" which includes the adaptive drive and dynamic drive. Seemed a bit expensive at $3900 but in all honestly I realize now that I would NOT have been 100% happy with the driving performance of this car without the availbility of the "sport mode" - I love how it feels when switching from normal to sport! Got the "executive package" which includes most of the comfort/convenience features that you pretty much have to have like the awesome NAV screen, comfort seats, etc... I can't imagine anyone buying this high end of a car without that package - this is one of those things where you say it should pretty much be standard equipment and just raise the base price but I know most manufactureres do this type of thing nowadays to advertise a lower price. Opted against the $3000 "technology package" because I felt I had to turn something down. I do wish I had the adaptive cruise control - my wife's Volvo XC70 has it and I love it. Ironically, she never uses it. Wish I could somehow swap it out to my car hahahaha. I would have wanted the infrared sensors *IF* it could warn about a large animal (deer or moose) in front but I read that it cant. :( I picked titanium silver and beige (uncommon combo but I think it looks good) because all my recent cars have been black on black so I wanted a change).

Anyhow, the car rocks. Picked it up Wednesday and immediately had a 500 km road trip which was awesome. Only passed a few times, kept thinking over the phrase "drive it like you stole it" but I held back and took it easy. Was immediately impressed with the feel of the ride in normal mose, and love the dynamic feel you get when moving to sport mode. Drove as fast as 160 km/h and it just felt so solid and smooth at all speeds. Even trying to avoid revving above 4000/5000 rpm you just know that the power is there and available any time you need it. The car is just so quietly poweful. Only downside is you have to watch it. You get to 140/150 km/h with no effort and in no time at all. As a day to day driver in normal mode this car is wonderful. On good quality country roads in sport mode it's going to be a blast. Can't wait for solo sumer drives to the cottage! I should note that when I test drove BMW's for the first time in November I drove a 3 and a 5 back to back. I feel that the 5, in sport mode, with the SAT, gives you 90% of the fun of 3, with about double the comfort. That was a perfect combination for me. When I have the car in for service would I like to get a 335 loaner with 6 speed manual for a couple of days? Heck yeah! Do I want to drive a car like that EVERY day? No way. Makes the 5 a great choice.

The interior is awesome, and easily my second favorite thing about the car. I love everything about it. So comfortable. Just the right amount of space for my liking. Great materials. Love, love, LOVE the big screen and the new iDrive system. I'm a techie so I love all the settings that you can tweak. Love the way it plays music from my iPhone with album art on the right of the screen. Love that you can watch movies (in 2.35:1 aspect ratio no less!!!!!) when parked.

Like the fuel economy being so reasonable. Like BMW assist. Like the trunk size for golf clubs. Love the premium audio system after I turned off the crappy surround effects and tweaked the EQ to my liking. So far no tire issues (fingers crossed!) Only minor complaints, like many, involve BMW's use of non-standard control tools like the wipers, turn signals and shifter that don't click around like every other car. Yes you learn to use it in no time, but it's silly and annoying to have to explain to spouse/mom/brother-in-law/friends when they want to try it out.

Anyhow, one gratuitous pic of it on the street. Thanks for listening. Thanks for all the helpful info I learned on here prior to buying!

Greg

Attachments

·
Familienwappen
918 Posts
Two more things about your beautiful car; 1. the lighter colors seem to do a better job of showing the character lines of the body, 2. you'll be surprised at how much dirt that thing will hide between washings!

I'm jealous, another 29 days yet to get mine.:(

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Greg, it's beautiful. I would echo all your comments that apply to my car (non-sport). What tires does your car have?
Unfortunately, it has the dreaded Goodyear LS2 run flat tires. I say that not because I'm unhapppy with the ride quality, which seems fine, but rather because they seem at high risk of failure and are near impossible to replace right now.

All four are Goodyear Eagle LS2 ***8211; 245/40/R19. (x-drive models all have 4 indentical tires, even the sport and M-sport cars)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Two more things about your beautiful car; 1. the lighter colors seem to do a better job of showing the character lines of the body, 2. you'll be surprised at how much dirt that thing will hide between washings!

I'm jealous, another 29 days yet to get mine.:(
Yes, I agree and those are the two reasons I picked the color. I love dark blue and black cars in general, but this model just looked curvier and more detailed in the light silver. My last two black cars were always clean from June-September but looked like crap the rest of the year because I wouldn't bother with the 2-3 weekly washings they needed to look decent.

Greg

·
Registered
639 Posts
Greg, very sharp looking car, beautiful lines! Is that Titanium Silver? Very nice colour, it looks good and you'll be amazed how good it looks in any kind of conditions.

Cheers
D.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
Maybe you can keep us up to date on those 19'' tires and if you get any bubbles or issues... Hopefully you are one of the lucky ones and don't have those problems... Great info though :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
I love those wheels. May be my future summer set up. Its also a great color, had titanium silver on my e60. German cars are supposed to be silver anywayz. Wonderful job greg

·
Everything's Bigger in TX
7,121 Posts
I love those wheels. May be my future summer set up. Its also a great color, had titanium silver on my e60. German cars are supposed to be silver anywayz. Wonderful job greg
Swap ya. ;)

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Grass is always greener i suppose! Decaf, did you get your steering issues figured yet? I hope so, sounds like you were ver frustrated for a bit there

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Exactly. Love your wheels too Hiyo. It's nice there are so many killer wheels that look good on these cars!

Greg
You are making a very wise decision by switching to the mich a/s. I have them and LOVE them. Look great, feel great, just great tires. The easiest decision i have made with this car.

·
Everything's Bigger in TX
7,121 Posts
Grass is always greener i suppose! Decaf, did you get your steering issues figured yet? I hope so, sounds like you were ver frustrated for a bit there
Haven't had time to bring the car in!

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer App

·
Registered
44 Posts
sport package

Greg: Thanks for a great review. Like you, I read all everything I could find before I made the decision to go with a 535i. I got pretty much the same features you did - in retrospect not having the sport transmission would have been disappointing. There is a huge difference in the personality of the car between Normal and Sport. My last car was a 550i with a manual and it damn near cost me my marriage. So to keep the peace I went with the automatic this time. When my wife is in the car I drive it like it's a Cadillac; when she's not I have a lot of fun with the manual shifter in Sport.

This car has more than enough power for me. In fact I think with the weight difference it seems as fast as the 550i (not the new one with the turbo!), though I will admit I miss the sound of the V8 just a little. But the mileage is terrific - the 550i was just too damn thirsty and I feel I am making a small sacrifice to be a better global citizen.

Mine is tasman green with black interior. A very striking combination and the exterior color is intriquing - changes dramatically in different light. I am very happy with this car and glad I did not go for the Audi S4 which just seemed a bit small coming from a 5 series.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Greg: Thanks for a great review. Like you, I read all everything I could find before I made the decision to go with a 535i. I got pretty much the same features you did - in retrospect not having the sport transmission would have been disappointing. There is a huge difference in the personality of the car between Normal and Sport. My last car was a 550i with a manual and it damn near cost me my marriage. So to keep the peace I went with the automatic this time. When my wife is in the car I drive it like it's a Cadillac; when she's not I have a lot of fun with the manual shifter in Sport.

This car has more than enough power for me. In fact I think with the weight difference it seems as fast as the 550i (not the new one with the turbo!), though I will admit I miss the sound of the V8 just a little. But the mileage is terrific - the 550i was just too damn thirsty and I feel I am making a small sacrifice to be a better global citizen.

Mine is tasman green with black interior. A very striking combination and the exterior color is intriquing - changes dramatically in different light. I am very happy with this car and glad I did not go for the Audi S4 which just seemed a bit small coming from a 5 series.
Not many tasman green F10's. Can you post some photos of exterior and interior?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts