Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, I have some questions regarding my first purchase of a BMW 2017(or 18) 430i convertible. I would like to point out I do not know much about cars, so try not to get to technical.

1. Living In New Jersey, would you think it is a bad idea to get a convertible car in general? I am going for the 4 series because it is a hardtop, I thought this would better for harsh/cold weather. Do you agree with this or would this wear out the top? I would be using this as my every day car. Would you say living in New Jersey getting a hardtop convertible for everyday use is not a good idea or does it not matter? Also do you ever hear of any issues with that convertible tops? Or are they very reliable on a new car and not to many difficulties ?

2. Also living in New Jersey would you recommend going for the SDrive or XDrive. I would assume the AWD would be better then then RWD in any situation, but if anyone is on the northern east coast area and has any input on that- it would be appreciated.

3. I understand the MPG is around 20-30 give or take. Would you say this is accurate? How often do you usually have to get Gas and how much is it typically? (Include how frequent you drive it). Also do you use premium or regular gas and does it even matter.

4.what is the Typical cost to replace things like flat tires, or to get the wheals rotated? Also are there any additional warranties to get with the vehical to cover tires/rims and if so do you know the additional cost? Also an oil change usually cost around 150 I beleive, but that's on 10,000 miles correct ?

Thank you in advanced for any feedback and input.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I live in a colder climate than you and have a hard top convertible. If you like an open top, you won't regret it. The weather has no effect on the top. Like any motorized/moving part, things wear out from use.
Do you get much snow? XDrive is awesome in the snow, but you need good tires too. If your all seasons are worn, no technology is going to help you.
Your car will most likely come with run flat tires. These are not repairable if you've driven on them while you have lost air (that's how they're supposed to work. they have a very stiff sidewall which allows you to drive on them even though they have no air. This lets you get to a place to address the problem). So flat tire = $200+ for a new tire. There is wheel and tire insurance if you want that.
Maybe oil changes are $150 in Jersey. Where I live they're around $100. 10000 miles is what BMW says.
If I'm interpreting you correctly, it sounds like maintenance/upkeep costs are a big concern. You won't spend a dime (except for tires perhaps) for 3 years because of BMW's maintenance plan. the warranty is 4 years/50000 miles.
Hope this helps

·
Worlds Foremost Authority
15,956 Posts
I am on my second BMW hardtop convertible (2007 335i, 2015 M4). I live in Manhattan and have used both as daily drivers or more accurately basic transportation as I do not need to drive everyday. With the top up weather sealing is no different than it would be in a car with a fixed roof.

No issues with the tops. I sold my E93 to a friend and he had had no issues and the car is now 10 years old.

In our area there is a 6 or 7 month convertible season but you never know when a convertible day will appear. I am currently at my home in Connecticut. Last Saturday I was doing winter autocross on a frozen, snow covered track. Mid week was in the high sixties, low seventies sunny and dry and today it is 33 degrees.

I keep the top up in city traffic and for highway cruising but on a nice day nothing beats a top down ride on a country road.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have the 10217 430i since September and so far i love it.
Get around 22mpg in city and 34 on highway.
Haven't had t replace any tires yet but i might go for regular ones she it is time to get a more smooth ride.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts