BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Apologies if I am posting in the wrong forum.

I found a '13 328i CPO that is the exact color combo I want and has nearly every feature I could ask for, for what seems to be a ridiculous price.

Dealer is 9 hours away, thats where it gets tricky.

We have been going back and forth over email this week, and started talking numbers. I am at a place that I feel comfortable with, though I wish they could have done a bit more. (Knocked off $500). Then I go to ask about the extra year of maintenance that is included as a current CPO incentive.

He said it isn't included and they would have to charge me for it, as the dealer takes a hit on it. and because he is already discounting it, thats how it is going to be. Ok, as I said it was a good price. Kinda shady, but I told him I would sleep on it.

The car has 2.5k more miles than what is posted online, so I assume its being used as a demo or courtesy car or what not. This somewhat worries me about the state of the tires. If the car was CPO'd a couple of months ago, the tires could be in much worse shape if it has been driven for a while. Not to mention I see nothing on the Carfax of tires ever being replaced.

Next, I go online to search out the dealership, and found a few pretty bad reviews, CPO'd cars having service lights turn on within days, all around shady dealings, and it has me concerned.

Obviously if there were any glaring issues in person, I would not make the deal, but seeing as I am maybe driving 9 hours to get this car, I want to make sure I am covered. My ideal logic is that it is CPO and if anything is wrong, it can get taken care of. My other side says this may be too good to be true, and I should let it go.

Pretty torn, definitely want to sleep on it, but wanted some input. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Side note: he said body was in good shape, light scratches and some "Swirl marks" - Those can all be buffed out and touched up for a reasonable cost, no?

Thanks again everyone!

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
Hello all,

I found a '13 328i CPO that is the exact color combo I want and has nearly every feature I could ask for, for what seems to be a ridiculous price.

We have been going back and forth over email this week, and started talking numbers. I am at a place that I feel comfortable with, though I wish they could have done a bit more. (Knocked off $500). Then I go to ask about the extra year of maintenance that is included as a current CPO incentive.

He said it isn't included and they would have to charge me for it, as the dealer takes a hit on it. and because he is already discounting it, thats how it is going to be. Ok, as I said it was a good price. Kinda shady, but I told him I would sleep on it.

The car has 2.5k more miles than what is posted online, so I assume its being used as a demo or courtesy car or what not. This somewhat worries me about the state of the tires. If the car was CPO'd a couple of months ago, the tires could be in much worse shape if it has been driven for a while. Not to mention I see nothing on the Carfax of tires ever being replaced.

Next, I go online to search out the dealership, and found a few pretty bad reviews, CPO'd cars having service lights turn on within days, all around shady dealings, and it has me concerned.

Obviously if there were any glaring issues in person, I would not make the deal, but seeing as I am maybe driving 9 hours to get this car, I want to make sure I am covered. My ideal logic is that it is CPO and if anything is wrong, it can get taken care of. My other side says this may be too good to be true, and I should let it go.

Pretty torn, definitely want to sleep on it, but wanted some input. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Side note: he said body was in good shape, light scratches and some "Swirl marks" - Those can all be buffed out and touched up for a reasonable cost, no?

Thanks again everyone!
You have a lot of questions but, I am going to advise that you trust your gut. Your gut is (obviously, by the tone of your post) telling you that there is something wrong with this deal.

I highlighted all the words in your post above that show you already know this is not the right deal to do.. take a look at the bolded parts above in your quote.

Maybe you did not realize how much you are scared of this deal, but look above again. My advice to you (again) is to let it go because you already know its not the right car, even though the price and options are right. Doing a deal on a car that is that far away from you requires trust in the dealer, and you dont have that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You have a lot of questions but, I am going to advise that you trust your gut. Your gut is (obviously, by the tone of your post) telling you that there is something wrong with this deal.

I highlighted all the words in your post above that show you already know this is not the right deal to do.. take a look at the bolded parts above in your quote.

Maybe you did not realize how much you are scared of this deal, but look above again. My advice to you (again) is to let it go because you already know its not the right car, even though the price and options are right. Doing a deal on a car that is that far away from you requires trust in the dealer, and you dont have that.
Hahah, I appreciate it.

Trust is the keyword, I felt that trust was lacking pretty early on. I am a pretty impatient person, this may be a turning point for me, Im sure there is another one like this out there.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Too many red flags. Don't do this deal. Also, you should be able to get more than $500 off unless it's an extremely rare set of options. My parents just got a one year old C class with 12,000 miles on it for 32k out the door, down from $35,500, asking, with a little negotiating.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hahah, I appreciate it.

Trust is the keyword, I felt that trust was lacking pretty early on. I am a pretty impatient person, this may be a turning point for me, Im sure there is another one like this out there.
Grab your computer and a few beers and read the Ask a Dealer section of this website. Then go to LEASEHACKR.COM and read their forums, and then go to Edmunds and read their forums on various BMW models. Then find the BMW dealers you like, bookmark them, and study their inventory. Finally, read everything jjrandorin posts. Dude knows what he's talking about.

You may not have enough beer. Labor of love for me. I'm about to lease my second car after leasing my first last weekend. Could not be in the position I'm in without the good people on bimmerfest.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I just purchased a 2016 CPO that was 6 hours away. But...I did my research on the car as well as the dealership. In my case, my gut told me to go for it. Like someone posted earlier, go with your gut - too many red flags. Before buying this vehicle, I found 3 or 4 similar ones that I passed on. My point here is: there will be others. Good luck!

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
It sounds like you have too many questions about this deal. If it doesn't seem right it likely isn't. I'd give it a pass and keep looking. N4S

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
i totally agree with you, move on. if you are concerned about tire tread (I would be too!!) and paint swirls, scratches etc, then I would find a closer dealer. you need to see the car before pulling the trigger and talking $$$.

228 Posts
Hello all,

Thanks again everyone!
The extra year of maintenance is coming straight from BMW for it being a CPO 2013 3 Series. It doesn't come from the dealer and they shouldn't charge you unless you were going to extend the coverage beyond that additional year

·
Registered
497 Posts
Everything I read in this thread tells me you should avoid that dealer like the plague.

If you want extra maintenance, or warranty, that can be added to the purchase price at wholesale cost in the finance office. Otherwise, CPO is CPO, and is exactly what the factory authorizes.

I flew ~1000 miles to the dealer where I found a great deal on my 535i. The dealer had a great online price, and the internet sales guy kept his word about holding the car until I could fly out. A long road-trip home is a great way to lean about your new car. My 535 is my first BMW and I don't regret that purchase one bit.

In my case, finding a '12 535 with a 6 speed manual was the big factor, but got lucky finding a car sold and maintained in California was what put me over the edge. I had a lead on a better deal in N.Y., but winter and rust scare me.

Trust your gut. Look online, 328s are dime a dozen here in san francisco / los angeles area. The prices are low because there are SO MANY of them. I drove my wife down to BMW of Hollywood to get her 335, as they had the best price and the drive to LA from SF was included in the cost factors.

·
Registered
394 Posts
On the 1 year maintenance, you have to finance thru BMW for that. My guess would be he is expecting you to use a captive finance company where he can up the interest rate to make more profit for the dealer. If you're not getting the 0.9% interest program from BMWFS then I'm sure that's what is going on. Avoid this dealer like the plague. And tell us who this is so we can avoid them too.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you are going to a true BMW store not just one that sells BMWs then a 2013 is considered a CPO car and is covered under the CPO warranty. You can purchase extended maintenance or extended warranty through the finance department. This sounds like way to many red flags for sure. Swirls and scratches can be buffed or wet sanded out for sure but the dealer should make sure there are no major issues with the car

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Hahah, I appreciate it.

If the car has 2.5k more miles than it is advertised as having that probably means the advertisement hasn't been updated in a long time. So there may well be other reasons the dealer can't move the car. The "ridiculous" price is probably too good to be true.

If the car was local then it would certainly be worth a drive. But the round trip sounds like it is well over 1k miles. You should continue looking much closer to home.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts