Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first car! 1992 E36 318i. In my country there was no e36 vehicles inported with big engines. Thinking of swapping a E32 4 litre v8 into it. Of course I'm going to get a shop to do it. Is it possible?

·
D'oh, You Kids!
29,358 Posts
Welcome to Bimmerfest!
Yes, it can be done. Having a shop do it is going to be very expensive, but since this is your first car, that's the best option. An engine swap can be overwhelming even for an experienced wrench.

·
Lost but making good time
'11 335xi; '03 330Ci
5,618 Posts
As stated, this can be an overwhelming project. Were I in your place, I would seriously reconsider my engine choice. Many people here in the States have had success dropping M52, M54, S50, S52, and even S54 engines into the E36 chassis in place of a four-cylinder, without too much difficulty (as far as engine-swaps go). In other words, go for one of BMW's many superb straight-6 engines instead of trying to stuff the 4.0L V8 in there.

If you were doing most of the work yourself, and had the necessary experience, tool kit, and finances, it would undoubtedly be a fun project. Paying a shop to do all the work, though, will likely bankrupt you, as there will be a lot of expensive fabrication and problem-solving involved with the V8.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts