BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all,
i bought my 328i a few months ago, its been running great, etc but it recently came time to take it in - needed oil change, blablabla, and it vibrated a bit at higher speeds so i assumed balancing. i took it to a reputable shop, i was expecting to only pay for the afformentioned services, but after a half hour the giuy comes out and sits down...

"You got this car inspected recently?" he asks

"yep"

"A mechanic put that sticke on your car"

"yeeahh..."

"he should be shot."

he took me into the garage. apparently the two front control arms and bearing joints were completely shot, the wheels jiggles about 2 inches in either direction when he poked em because the joint was so loose. he said it wasnt even safe to drive, he was surprised the shaking was the only side effect. so i had to have it all replaced overnight. that and some other random stuff ran me about 800 dollars :mad: i know its not horrible horrible and i know it needed to be done but i went in there expecting to pay for simple maintenence! there goes the nakamichi hu i wanted... oh well...
the handlings supa-tight now though ;) at least thats cool!

·
Registered
12,204 Posts
volumelevel7 said:
hey all,
i bought my 328i a few months ago, its been running great, etc but it recently came time to take it in - needed oil change, blablabla, and it vibrated a bit at higher speeds so i assumed balancing. i took it to a reputable shop, i was expecting to only pay for the afformentioned services, but after a half hour the giuy comes out and sits down...

"You got this car inspected recently?" he asks

"yep"

"A mechanic put that sticke on your car"

"yeeahh..."

"he should be shot."

he took me into the garage. apparently the two front control arms and bearing joints were completely shot, the wheels jiggles about 2 inches in either direction when he poked em because the joint was so loose. he said it wasnt even safe to drive, he was surprised the shaking was the only side effect. so i had to have it all replaced overnight. that and some other random stuff ran me about 800 dollars :mad: i know its not horrible horrible and i know it needed to be done but i went in there expecting to pay for simple maintenence! there goes the nakamichi hu i wanted... oh well...
the handlings supa-tight now though ;) at least thats cool!
I suppose you didnt not buy it CPO. Yeah your right that isnt too horrible. And definately maintenance worth fixing, it just is a shame the mechanic who inspected before you bought did not notice this.

These things I myself would try to get the prev dealer to pay for, but your really without a case in that way. I am glad ya got it fixed before something serious broke. And it sounds like you found a good honest mechanic.

Have fun with your new car :thumbup: :D

·
Gone Motoring!
2,025 Posts
either find a good local independent BMW shop (check with ur local CCA chapter), or get a Bentley manual and inspect ur car once in a while yourself... im glad u got it fixed before it was too late... sounds pretty scary to me... damn... whoever did the inspection was smoking some weird shit...

--Andrew

·
Here since day one
7,183 Posts
that seems to be pretty common problem . . . you might want to see if there was some type of recall on this part . . . maybe you can get some reimbursement from BMWNA

My 330 had the control arm replaced a couple of months ago.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
arm

yeah actually the guy said the whole front suspension thing was a "common problem" with the model, he had one and something like that happened to it....ah well. he said to really watch for potholes and the such, avoid the problem when ya can...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts