BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

First Trip Grocery Shopping In The L328i - Observations

13966 171
Some quick thoughts vs. the same experience in the E90:

The rear camera really shines in a crowded supermarket parking lot. I read the owners manual to really learn how to use all the curving display lines and can back up with confidence that I'm not going to clip some little old lady and her shopping cart.

The front PDC actually sniffed out a cement parking curb, first time I'd experienced that with any car I've owned. BMW tuned those sensors nicely.

The new trunk design is a real improvement, surprised not many people discuss it. It's got a lower front lip so you can get in/out much easier, and because of its wide upper opening you can easily get your hands and arms to the seatbacks without having to stretch inside the trunk.

The kicking-motion-under-bumper trunk opener gets a lot of laughs but it's really helpful when you've got bags in each hand and it's raining. Open the trunk without putting a bag on the wet ground or having to double-up to reach the handle.

The fly-open trunk is another win, not talked about much. On the E90, hitting the trunk release button in the cabin or on the remote merely disengaged the trunk and you still had to lift it manually to open it. The new design has a strong spring and a button press or foot swipe has it flying open wide.

You add up these subtleties and it really improves the weekly supermarket run for those of us who have that family responsibility.

BJ
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 172 Posts
The trunk thing fails so much on mine lol

the dealer even tried to show me that function and he couldn't get it to work LOL
It's just a technique you have to learn, tehn it's nearly 100% reliable.

The trick is to retract your foot (or tennis racket or golf club!!!) quickly out from under the rear bumper...

the dealer even tried to show me that function and he couldn't get it to work LOL
Need a bigger foot! LOL :bigpimp:

You just need to get the angle right. Stand behind the rightmost corner, kick your foot briskly, bang your shin into the plastic, trunk opens.

Swinging a bag of groceries under there also works, a six-pack of Diet Coke being most effective.

BJ
Thats a feature I miss in the E93. I am always paranoid about parking curbs because the front lip is too low to clear most of them,

CA

The rear camera really shines in a crowded supermarket parking lot. I read the owners manual to really learn how to use all the curving display lines and can back up with confidence that I'm not going to clip some little old lady and her shopping cart.

The front PDC actually sniffed out a cement parking curb, first time I'd experienced that with any car I've owned. BMW tuned those sensors nicely.

The new trunk design is a real improvement, surprised not many people discuss it. It's got a lower front lip so you can get in/out much easier, and because of its wide upper opening you can easily get your hands and arms to the seatbacks without having to stretch inside the trunk.

The kicking-motion-under-bumper trunk opener gets a lot of laughs but it's really helpful when you've got bags in each hand and it's raining. Open the trunk without putting a bag on the wet ground or having to double-up to reach the handle.

The fly-open trunk is another win, not talked about much. On the E90, hitting the trunk release button in the cabin or on the remote merely disengaged the trunk and you still had to lift it manually to open it. The new design has a strong spring and a button press or foot swipe has it flying open wide.

You add up these subtleties and it really improves the weekly supermarket run for those of us who have that family responsibility.

BJ
Real men do not shop for groceries...

:D:D

Sorry,just had to say it. Great weekend..

SNIP

BJ
The wife pulls down mid-six figures. If driving my F30 a few miles to the local A&P makes her happy, I'm happy. Truth be told, I like the 'me' time each week. I can disappear to pick up the groceries and take a detour to the local strip club for a quick private dance. It's all win.

BJ

Sorry,just had to say it. Great weekend...
Be careful not to lean over the trunk while you foot swipe. You can get one right in the chops.
I have honestly been waiting for a YouTube video of this happening. Some guy trying to show off and bang, right in the chin.
Be careful not to lean over the trunk while you foot swipe. You can get one right in the chops.
Real men do not need no stinking cameras to park the thing.

:D:D

Sorry,just had to say it. Great weekend..

I would have thought your manservant did the shopping?
Haha you know I actually took my tennis bag and went all out, cause it covered 33% of the bottom i knew it couldn't miss it :)
Need a bigger foot! LOL :bigpimp:
I believe we are learning he is the manservant.
I would have thought your manservant did the shopping?
Your posts crack me up lol. Keep up the good work
My car's trunk pops all the way up, and with some force too. I use the remote, and I barely missed whacking myself in the jaw once.

After that, I keep a careful watch out.

So, I am just imagining the boltman, arms laden with hat boxes and such, from Nordstroms, out in the rain, getting the chariot to pick up the missus, with a concentrated look on his face trying to get that foot swipe right, and wham right in the kisser. Down he goes, boxes and bags flying, getting his khakis soaked in a puddle, and cursing himself for giving the chauffeur the day off.

I would not like to see that happen.

OK, I would pay to see that happen. :D
I have honestly been waiting for a YouTube video of this happening. Some guy trying to show off and bang, right in the chin.
I have it and it has always worked well Just a quick kick in The-mid area under the trunk will do it.

Yeah just have to know the right spot
i love the kick-open feature of the trunk! just wish the bmw also had a one-touch close option for the trunk. I hate having to actually pull it down and "slam" it (i.e., use force).
I am calling BS here BJ! Where is your man servant, why are you going, I can't say it ... grocery shopping? :angel:

Congrats! Enjoy the new ride.

BJ
1 - 20 of 172 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.