BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took delivery of my new car last week, and I absolutely love it. Still babying her thru the break-in phase, but the few times I've bumped her up to 3500 rpm's has gotten my revs up as well. Can't believe what an upgrade this is from my Lexus. The only thing I don't like so far is the auto stop/start. I usually turn that off as soon as I start the car, but occasionally I forget and get reminded next time I come to a stop. I e-mailed the people at DVDinMotion hoping they can come up with a software patch that works as well as their current offering.

Attachments

·
Registered
123 Posts
Congrats! Hope you enjoy your new ride :thumbup: . I am finally picking mine up on Tuesday.

What tires did you get?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Congrats! Hope you enjoy your new ride :thumbup: . I am finally picking mine up on Tuesday.

What tires did you get?
Thanks, Hope you like yours as much as I am liking mine. I'm sure you will.
Mine came with 18" Continental Conti pros. Even though it seems like the 18" tire aren't as troublesome as the 19 and larger, I still got the tire insurance. $1350 or so for 5 years... seemed cheap enough for peace of mind. Make sure you get the $1000.00 credit if you finance through BMW.

·
<- Bailey
7,656 Posts
Don't baby it too much. Set the speed warning to 85 or so, and nail a few on-ramps. Put your foot in it going uphill on a highway. Just don't go totally wide open and keep it under 4500, and feel the car.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Thanks. I am on the fence re the wheel & tire insurance - am thinking I will put the money towards non run-flats - that's what I did on my Z4 a few months after purchasing...and have never looked back (have always carried a compressor and Slime sealant). Will definitely want to get the $1000 credit for financing thru BMWFS.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Took delivery of my new car last week, and I absolutely love it. Still babying her thru the break-in phase, but the few times I've bumped her up to 3500 rpm's has gotten my revs up as well. Can't believe what an upgrade this is from my Lexus. The only thing I don't like so far is the auto stop/start. I usually turn that off as soon as I start the car, but occasionally I forget and get reminded next time I come to a stop. I e-mailed the people at DVDinMotion hoping they can come up with a software patch that works as well as their current offering.
Thanks for sharing, and congrats!

Boy, we hear this auto start/stop comment most of the time from the new owners. I hope BMW gets this feedback as well - before guys like you have no choice but to either get used to it and just suck it up, or press the darn button multiple times a day as you start the car. Both are bad choices if you ask me. Good idea with DVDinMotion but I doubt they would interfere with such "fuel economy" feature. They could be accused of not being "green"...

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Don't baby it too much. Set the speed warning to 85 or so, and nail a few on-ramps. Put your foot in it going uphill on a highway. Just don't go totally wide open and keep it under 4500, and feel the car.
My foot gets a little heavier each time I drive. It really doesn't take much to feel yourself getting pushed back into your seat...

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Very nice! Congratulations on that fine looking ride.
Thanks...
I'm really liking the Space Gray color. I think it shows the lines of the car, and hopefully doesn't show the dirt as bad as some colors.

·
Sejanus
5,785 Posts
Thanks...
I'm really liking the Space Gray color. I think it shows the lines of the car, and hopefully doesn't show the dirt as bad as some colors.
One of the best BMW colours IMO!

·
Premium Member
6,882 Posts
Congrats! :thumbup:

·
Registered
370 Posts
Very nice. Space grey with black interior is a very good color combination IMO

·
Registered
89 Posts
Thanks, Hope you like yours as much as I am liking mine. I'm sure you will.
Mine came with 18" Continental Conti pros. Even though it seems like the 18" tire aren't as troublesome as the 19 and larger, I still got the tire insurance. $1350 or so for 5 years... seemed cheap enough for peace of mind. Make sure you get the $1000.00 credit if you finance through BMW.
That's a really good price on the insurance. Is that the BMW one from SafeGuard?

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
4000 miles in on the Coninentall SSR's (18") that came with the car. About 50% on NYC surface streets. I've hit any number of potholes and road plates and no bubbles whatsoever. I'd apss on the insur. if you have the 18" rims.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What is it about the auto stop/start that you don't like?
Stoplights on my commute to work are rarely as long as 30 seconds, usually more like 10 or 15 seconds. I just don't want to put my car through 4 or 5 starts to save a minutes worth of gas each way. It would just make so much more sense if it was only activated when in eco-pro mode.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Stoplights on my commute to work are rarely as long as 30 seconds, usually more like 10 or 15 seconds. I just don't want to put my car through 4 or 5 starts to save a minutes worth of gas each way. It would just make so much more sense if it was only activated when in eco-pro mode.
Same here. A minute would be a stretch. Clearly different cities have different stoplights. Some Miami/Ft Lauderdale lights can last for nearly 5 minutes (but then a stopped car can't provide AC so badly needed there year round without draining the battery)... That's why BMW must stop this absolute nonsense that fits only very few specific geographical/urban areas (like cool Berlin, perhaps?) before countless engines go bad and void all the advertised efficiency numbers and other "green" misleading statistics.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
GSmith>> Can you tell us a little more about the stop/start and exactly how it functions please?

Does the A/C compressor in fact continue to run and if so can you tell what powers it?

How is the engine restarted? Is it by the conventional electric starter motor or by some other method?

Thanks for the write up.

·
Registered
340 Posts
What is it about the auto stop/start that you don't like?
when you only need a brief stop ( less than 5 secs) ie like crossing the street, or heavy traffic, or when you stop at the ligths and then it changes to green by the time the car turs off:tsk:

I dont know how much in gas I'm saving, I need to refuel every week same as my wife (she drives an x5 with less fuel efficiency) :dunno:

I do really like this feature in long stops:angel:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts