Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to this forum and to BMW. I'm wondering, from those of you lucky ones who have gotten new coupes, is the fit and finish good? I've had previous german cars, not BMWs, that have had squeaks, buzzes, rattles in the interior dash, doors, etc. It is absolutely irritating to me. What are your experiences with BMW and quality fitting of interior parts?

·
Registered
286 Posts
I am very pleased with the fit and finish in my 328xi coupe! I am not terribly thrilled about the leather on the seats, but thats a very, very minor thing, and easily overlooked. The center armrest takes a bit of effort to open in my car compared to my friend's 2006 325i sedan. I don't have anything to keep in there, so again, I overlook it.

Other than these two fit and finish "gripes", I can't think of anything else. When you drive this thing, you forget about everything else. Trust me. :)

·
kid hater
971 Posts
Our 10 year old Passat was rattle free. I am hoping our BMW will be the same

·
Registered
33 Posts
From my experience E46 was better build especialy from outside gaps between doors and fenders were smaller compare to E90. No ratles so far.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My experience is just the opposite of TPECT. My 325ci had some problems (but I loved it anyway), while my 328i coupe is flawless so far.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Care to elaborate? (I'm shopping).
My friend's 06 325i sedan has black leatherette and I don't see much of a difference in the feel/texture between the leather in mine and leatherette in his car. The leather is a little rough to feel; it is not very plush. This is just my personal opinion so I would suggest you to look at a 3 series with the leather and leatherette option yourself. The leather in a 2006 Merc C class another friend drives feels smoother and softer and more plush (padded), hence more luxurious and upscale.

Again, it is a very minor "gripe". It is part of the premium package, which I wanted. Once you drive the car, it does not matter. You'll have a big grin on your face nevertheless. :)

·
Squeal like a BMW
6,604 Posts
You'll have a big grin on your face nevertheless. :)
Thanks for the info and I have no doubt about that. I need to go for test drives so I can compare the 328i to the 335i - no need for the "x" in Atlanta as snow is like a 10 year event and cars are best left in the garage on those rare occasions (too many SUV clowns who think they're invincible).

·
Registered
27 Posts
No issues, within the first week ~500 miles. :)

The leather seems thicker to me, and more texture than most lux autos. I have saddle brown so that may have something to do with it.
(To me, it's a good thing. Everyone has smooth leather with little texture)

Wood is thick and has plenty of texture depth.

Quite as a vault.

Everything seems very solid. The lowest point might be the "little arm", I like it ... sometimes I feel like R2D2 is in the rear.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Excellent fit and finish. Much better than say my X3. No problems with over 4600 miles.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Thanks for the info and I have no doubt about that. I need to go for test drives so I can compare the 328i to the 335i - no need for the "x" in Atlanta as snow is like a 10 year event and cars are best left in the garage on those rare occasions (too many SUV clowns who think they're invincible).
You do know that if you drive both, your brain will scream "I have to have that 335"....and you will have a hard time wiping the silly a$$ grin on your face!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Not one rattle or squeak in my 328xi coupe. I'm very happy thus far.

The only thing that bugs me with all the newer bmws is the somewhat excessive orange peel in the paint. My Q45 had 10x smoother paint than my coupe. Maybe it's because of the soft clear coat, but that's the only thing that irritates me.

·
Squeal like a BMW
6,604 Posts
You do know that if you drive both, your brain will scream "I have to have that 335"....and you will have a hard time wiping the silly a$$ grin on your face!!!!!!
Oh yeah, the turbo rush is intoxicating and the reason I've been driving SAABs for 10 years. Their build/interior quality has hit the skids and so . . . I'm off to greener pastures eventually. The SAAB's not so bad that I'm ready to just take a bath on the depreciation but . . . the idea of something with a lot more refinement is definitely calling my name, and you're right, without driving either I already know if I test both I won't be happy with the 328i. It's just my opportunities to use the power in the 335i will be limited in Atlanta traffic so I'm trying to be realistic with my needs. Then I've never made a car buying decision based on need! :angel:

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
I drove both.... I went with the 328. But that was obviously because I needed an AWD platform. :)

The difference in power is obviously a step up, but quite honestly, I'm very happy with the power in my 328xi.

·
Squeal like a BMW
6,604 Posts
I drove both.... I went with the 328. But that was obviously because I needed an AWD platform. :)

The difference in power is obviously a step up, but quite honestly, I'm very happy with the power in my 328xi.
We're getting sort of off-topic here but yeah, that's what I'm hoping is that the 328i with stick feels like enough for me despite the obvious fact that the 335i is loads faster. I work less than 1 mile from a huge Atlanta BMW dealer and saw a tech out driving a 335i and when traffic opened up he obviously got heavy on the throttle and it took off like a shot and sounded pretty kick-ass as well.

·
Registered
374 Posts
My friend's 06 325i sedan has black leatherette and I don't see much of a difference in the feel/texture between the leather in mine and leatherette in his car. The leather is a little rough to feel; it is not very plush. This is just my personal opinion so I would suggest you to look at a 3 series with the leather and leatherette option yourself.
+1. IMO, the leatherette actually seems softer and "grippier" than Dakota leather. If BMW offers the buttery-soft Napa leather like they did on my ex-E36 M3, I'd gladly pay for it. I did find, though, that the leatherette doesn't breath as well as the leather does and my back side sweat more on extensive trips than I do in leather seats.

·
Registered
374 Posts
+1. IMO, the leatherette actually seems softer and "grippier" than Dakota leather. If BMW offers the buttery-soft Napa leather like they did on my ex-E36 M3, I'd gladly pay for it. I did find, though, that the leatherette doesn't breath as well as the leather does and my back side sweat more on extensive trips than I do in leather seats.
Oh, and the fit and finish is excellent on mine. Everything is drum-tight. :thumbup:

·
Nothing specific
984 Posts
My friend's 06 325i sedan has black leatherette and I don't see much of a difference in the feel/texture between the leather in mine and leatherette in his car. The leather is a little rough to feel; it is not very plush. This is just my personal opinion so I would suggest you to look at a 3 series with the leather and leatherette option yourself. The leather in a 2006 Merc C class another friend drives feels smoother and softer and more plush (padded), hence more luxurious and upscale.

Again, it is a very minor "gripe". It is part of the premium package, which I wanted. Once you drive the car, it does not matter. You'll have a big grin on your face nevertheless. :)
Personally, I like the stiff leather seats. I don't want to feel like I'm sitting in my living room recliner.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts