Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Went through a minor nightmare trying to get BMW Coding Tool working on my Windows 7 machine, but I've got it fixed and wanted to share the details with others.

I used the Mike's Easy BMW Tools Package and had success getting connected with INPA, but when I would try to start BMW Coding Tools I was getting an error -

'MSCOMCTL.OCX' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid.

Ok, so I found a location on microsoft to download the file, and followed steps to register it, but when attempting to register it, I was then getting an error similar to:

The module mscomctl.ocx was loaded but the call to DLLRegisterServer failed with error code Ox80004005

Ok, easy enough. I need to run the regsvr32 command as administrator, make sure the file is in the right folder, etc., etc. Well, none of that worked and I spent hours trolling the internet for a solution.

Turns out that there is some kind of incompatibility with newer versions of the mscomctl.ocx
file and registering it due to registry keys.

The answer to the problem is here: https://www.fmsinc.com/MicrosoftAccess/Controls/mscomctl/

You need to get an older version of mscomctl.ocx, register that and it will successfully register. I've attached the one from 2011 that was available on the linked site. As soon as you register it, BMW Coding Tools will finally load!!! Whew! :mad:

Apparently, the offending registry key is:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{831FDD16-0C5C-11D2-A9FC-0000F8754DA1}\2.0

Once you get the old one working, it is up to you if you want to register a newer version of the ocx or not, it's probably a good idea.

I've attached the file that worked for me, but changed the extension. You will need to rename it to .ocx to use it.

Use it at your own risk, but it was a lifesaver for me. I'm trying to add enough detail here so you can work through the problem as I know sometimes links change or different sites go away.

Hope this helps!

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Follow up, if you use the Bimmergeeks standard tools, you won't have this problem. They include OCX files that work as part of the install, along with instructions.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts