BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well. I have 212k on my 03 540 m sport. I did my vanos seals a bout 6 months ago and the car was fine for a few weeks then I got the death tick of failed chain gudes. I bore scoped em when I did the vanos and the were fine. I did new guides and chains. While I was in there I noticed the oil pump chain had a lot of slack in it so I adjusted it. After everything was back together I primed the engine and it was great. Started the car the next day and it had chain rattle on start up. Drove it for a few days like that and the only thing I could thank of was when I adjusted the oil pump it disturbed the seals on the pipe from the block to the pump and that was allowing the oil to drain out of the block. I replaced all 3 orings and the controller valve spring. Primed it and it started fine. I let it sit for roughly 24 hours and it had no chain rattle when I started it. The orings all were harder than the new ones. The spring was the same length but I could feel a difference in the tension. The new one was a good bit stiffer. Just wanted to share this Incase anyone is dealing with chain rattle after replacing the usual culpriates.

·
Member Supremo
1,729 Posts
I hope this isn't my issue too. New everything, but a start up rattle here and there. Sometimes weeks go by sitting, and nothing. Others, 3 seconds of annoyance.

That or I just accept it as M62 life.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a pretty easy fix. Oil pan gasket is re usable if it's fairly new. I think it was about $35 for the spring and o rings. I re used my oil since it was new. It's 3 bolts on the oil pump and the nut for the sprocket. Took about 20 min after the oil drained

·
Registered
850 Posts
Well. I have 212k on my 03 540 m sport. I did my vanos seals a bout 6 months ago and the car was fine for a few weeks then I got the death tick of failed chain gudes. I bore scoped em when I did the vanos and the were fine. I did new guides and chains. While I was in there I noticed the oil pump chain had a lot of slack in it so I adjusted it. After everything was back together I primed the engine and it was great. Started the car the next day and it had chain rattle on start up. Drove it for a few days like that and the only thing I could thank of was when I adjusted the oil pump it disturbed the seals on the pipe from the block to the pump and that was allowing the oil to drain out of the block. I replaced all 3 orings and the controller valve spring. Primed it and it started fine. I let it sit for roughly 24 hours and it had no chain rattle when I started it. The orings all were harder than the new ones. The spring was the same length but I could feel a difference in the tension. The new one was a good bit stiffer. Just wanted to share this Incase anyone is dealing with chain rattle after replacing the usual culpriates.
Does this oil pump fix apply to M52/M54 engines too?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts