BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both of these have been noted as issues for many owners previously.

I'd like to start working on solutions.

• FRONT SEATS
I agree that the front seats have some kind of problem compared to the previous models of the X1. (I own both a 2015 and now a 2016).

At first I thought that the 2016 seats were somehow smaller than the previous seats. I've now had time to actually put a tape measure on the seat (the sitting portion) and have discovered that they are in fact essentially identical in size.

So why do I feel like I'm "perched" on the new seats? If it's the front bolster (near where my knees bend) I'm thinking a good upholstery shop might open this open and add some additional support. I'd interested in the thinking of others here.

• CUP HOLDERS

Putting cup recesses at the engine-end of the console was a stupid, stupid idea. Apparently the Germans don't have or buy "Big Gulps". LOL. But seriously, even getting a water bottle in/out of this recess is not working for me. I really miss the "outboard" cup holder that was standard in my E48.

Any thoughts on an aftermarket substitute?

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Both of these have been noted as issues for many owners previously.

• CUP HOLDERS

Putting cup recesses at the engine-end of the console was a stupid, stupid idea. Apparently the Germans don't have or buy "Big Gulps". LOL. But seriously, even getting a water bottle in/out of this recess is not working for me. I really miss the "outboard" cup holder that was standard in my E48.

Any thoughts on an aftermarket substitute?
I have to agree about the placement and size of the cupholders. I don't know about Big Gulps, but many normal water bottles (like my Camelbak) do not fit. Because they are set back so far, it is difficult to get the bottle in and out. In addition, the "sunglasses holder" is behind the water bottle so if you put your sunglasses in that spot, you can't easily get them in and out when you need them. After using the car on a long trip, I would say that a re-design of the water bottle holders would be a great idea.

·
Registered
112 Posts
You guys do know that there are larger water bottle "holders" in the door pockets? They don't seem like it but they actually hold larger bottles on an angle toward the cabin.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
If I may pile on, where is the ash tray/rubbish bin in this car? Maybe I haven't inspected every nook and cranny in the cabin, but I am truly at a loss when it comes to finding a place to, for example, discard a shred of fingernail that I have chewed off (gross, I know LOL). The cup/sunglasses compartment is in the location where the ash tray should have gone.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If I may pile on, where is the ash tray/rubbish bin in this car?
If your spec says the car has the "non-smokers package," then you're out of luck.

If I remember correctly, those with "smokers package" had lighters (instead of just the dummy plug/cover) and some kind of cup with a flip cover (which goes into one of the cupholders) which serves as the ashtray.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If your spec says the car has the "non-smokers package," then you're out of luck.

If I remember correctly, those with "smokers package" had lighters (instead of just the dummy plug/cover) and some kind of cup with a flip cover (which goes into one of the cupholders) which serves as the ashtray.
Oh, you mean like this?

I suppose it could work, but it would mean having to leave the compartment doors open all the time (and sacrificing actual cup real estate). Ugh.

I have resigned myself to keeping a little plastic bag in the driver door cubby for the flotsam. :rolleyes::dunno:

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
No one else complaining about this since 2016? I love everything so far about my 2018 X1 except the horrible cupholders. My 2015 X1 had much much better ones. Like the OP said, you can't fit a decent sized drink in them. The dashboard climate control is in the way. That extra cupholder in the e84's which was near the passenger's knees was absolutely brilliant. Easy to reach and capable of holding a big ass Slurpee on those long drives on hot summer days.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 100K miles NOKIAN WR G3 20K miles
18,892 Posts
LOL. Bigass Slurpee plays hell on iDrive electronics.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Regarding the poor cup holders, that's the cost of having a narrow car with a fancy infotainment hub. Unlike the X3, which has the width to place the iDrive knob next to the shifter, the X1 only has room to place the knob behind the shifter which forces the cup holders closer to the dash.

·
Registered
717 Posts
No one else complaining about this since 2016? I love everything so far about my 2018 X1 except the horrible cupholders. My 2015 X1 had much much better ones. Like the OP said, you can't fit a decent sized drink in them. The dashboard climate control is in the way. That extra cupholder in the e84's which was near the passenger's knees was absolutely brilliant. Easy to reach and capable of holding a big ass Slurpee on those long drives on hot summer days.
You get what you pay for Wein.:bawling:

Joe:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts