BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

FLA retrofit - FLA_R into E60

2038 Views 3 Replies 2 Participants Last post by  Anthropoidape
Hi, I have been bashing away at an FLA retrofit in my 2005 545i (pre-LCI E60).

Vehicle has original adaptive bixenon, and came with non-FLA mirror (with EC, GTO, LED).

I obtained a mirror with FLA from an E70. I thought it would be a fairly straightforward retrofit but as the FLA camera is from 2011, it is the newer type of camera the did not ship in any E60.

Automotive design Optical instrument Machine gun Automotive exterior Telescope

Electrical wiring Cable Composite material Electrical supply Electronic device

I believe it is wired in correctly (with my diy harness), and INPA can see it:

Rectangle Font Parallel Number Screenshot

Font Number Screenshot

Product Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot

So basically I seem now to have the problem that MrPerfekt describes here:

That is, "Therefore, only the mirror changes and nothing else. Therefore, according to the communication protocol, the mirror must be compatible with all E-series bodies. The only thing is that to encode such a mirror for an unsuitable body requires a well-known trick with the ears in the form of slipping into the NCS Expert a car profile with the same configuration (as far as possible) as in the actual one, but in a different body.
This is due to the fact that the name of the FLA module has changed, now not FLA_65 in honor of E65, but FLA_R . And there is simply no such module in the E60 body library. By the way, not only FLA has the suffix "R", but also CIC (CICR), COMBOX (CMEDIAR), etc. I don't know what exactly it means, but also an observation."

Then he describes his solution, on the page https://www.drive2.com/l/5761411/

"Due to the fact that FLA_R did not exist in the back of the E60, I put together a so-called SSD file with a description similar to my car, but in the back of the E92. In fact, I just threw away options that were not on the E9x. I uploaded this file to NCS Expert, selected the FLA block, read the configuration from it, saved the VIN of the donor machine, and then coding with the factory profile so that both the VIN and the correct configuration were registered. After that I read the configuration again, corrected the tilt angle parameters and encoded again. No problem."

(nb auto translated from Russian, but I think pretty easy to understand).

So it seems to me like my problem can be solved, and I can code this FLA in... if I can just understand how to create and use a SSD file in NCS Expert.

This is where I am lost.

Can anyone help me to understand the steps around an SSD file?

I have also watched Cimdaher's video at VID_20190428_195706.mp4 (which is why I am trying this forum) but I still don't really understand what I need to do.

I have fairly beginner level NCSExpert skills. Managed to change the VO, previously added +NAUX etc. Nothing too radical.

I'll also need to code the tilt angle in if I can get it working....

Can anyone help? I'd love to get this working!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Update... I have this working. Still a few kinks to iron out though.

I have a much better understanding of coding now than I had before...

Speedometer Trip computer Odometer Motor vehicle Light
Study this

Reading from the very first part (very long however) may open all the beauty of coding the e-cars.
Hi, I have been bashing away at an FLA retrofit in my 2005 545i (pre-LCI E60).

Vehicle has original adaptive bixenon, and came with non-FLA mirror (with EC, GTO, LED).

I obtained a mirror with FLA from an E70. I thought it would be a fairly straightforward retrofit but as the FLA camera is from 2011, it is the newer type of camera the did not ship in any E60.

View attachment 1046808

View attachment 1046809

I believe it is wired in correctly (with my diy harness), and INPA can see it:

View attachment 1046805

View attachment 1046806

View attachment 1046807

So basically I seem now to have the problem that MrPerfekt describes here:

That is, "Therefore, only the mirror changes and nothing else. Therefore, according to the communication protocol, the mirror must be compatible with all E-series bodies. The only thing is that to encode such a mirror for an unsuitable body requires a well-known trick with the ears in the form of slipping into the NCS Expert a car profile with the same configuration (as far as possible) as in the actual one, but in a different body.
This is due to the fact that the name of the FLA module has changed, now not FLA_65 in honor of E65, but FLA_R . And there is simply no such module in the E60 body library. By the way, not only FLA has the suffix "R", but also CIC (CICR), COMBOX (CMEDIAR), etc. I don't know what exactly it means, but also an observation."

Then he describes his solution, on the page https://www.drive2.com/l/5761411/

"Due to the fact that FLA_R did not exist in the back of the E60, I put together a so-called SSD file with a description similar to my car, but in the back of the E92. In fact, I just threw away options that were not on the E9x. I uploaded this file to NCS Expert, selected the FLA block, read the configuration from it, saved the VIN of the donor machine, and then coding with the factory profile so that both the VIN and the correct configuration were registered. After that I read the configuration again, corrected the tilt angle parameters and encoded again. No problem."

(nb auto translated from Russian, but I think pretty easy to understand).

So it seems to me like my problem can be solved, and I can code this FLA in... if I can just understand how to create and use a SSD file in NCS Expert.

This is where I am lost.

Can anyone help me to understand the steps around an SSD file?

I have also watched Cimdaher's video at VID_20190428_195706.mp4 (which is why I am trying this forum) but I still don't really understand what I need to do.

I have fairly beginner level NCSExpert skills. Managed to change the VO, previously added +NAUX etc. Nothing too radical.

I'll also need to code the tilt angle in if I can get it working....

Can anyone help? I'd love to get this working!
Thanks for the reply Cimdahers (and also for the email reply). I ended up getting this working once I understood what SSD/virtual car coding is all about. Your video helped too!
Study this

Reading from the very first part (very long however) may open all the beauty of coding the e-cars.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.