BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Flaps behind the grill? What are they?

6744 6
Hi I've been looking into installing an rpi scoop however behind my grilles I have flaps that are controlled by a magnet that allows them to open and close.

What are they for and do I need them?

Would they get in the way of the scoop?

Cheers
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Hi! they are for the engine cooling, they are closed until the engine reaches water temperature for heaters etc, and not the oil temp gauge in the dash, You should leave them in place as they are for colder climates, the American cars for example don't have them..........
Makes sense now.

Can you still have an rpi scoop with these flaps on?
Hi! they are for the engine cooling, they are closed until the engine reaches water temperature for heaters etc, and not the oil temp gauge in the dash, You should leave them in place as they are for colder climates, the American cars for example don't have them..........
you can send those flaps to me and I'll send you the RPI scoop:thumbup:
Thing is I dont know if I need them on my car or not or how much it's worth?
you can send those flaps to me and I'll send you the RPI scoop:thumbup:
I was just messing with you. Those flaps are only installed on European models and are designed for cold climates (such as Alps, etc.). It's designed to keep the normal engine operating temperature steady by closing the grills.
I would like to have them, but here in Texas we don't get any colder than 30F or 0C.
As far as the RPI scoop, truth be told, there is not any significant difference in performance. The intake will suck in as much air as it needs and no more no less. I've experimented with K&N filter (carbon (second) filter in placed and removed - both) and slightly modified exhaust - no difference... Maybe a little lower gas mileage, which is bad.
So, save yourself over $100 and don't worry about the RPI scoop. Unless you are installing Dinan intake, but then again, you wouldn't need an RPI scoop.
Cheers!
PS: I'd love to get an oil cooler though, in this TX heat. Especially since we have the set-up for it already. I'm pretty sure that the European models have those as well - don't see why though??
Thanks for the good honest sound advice. Cheers:thumbup:
I was just messing with you. Those flaps are only installed on European models and are designed for cold climates (such as Alps, etc.). It's designed to keep the normal engine operating temperature steady by closing the grills.
I would like to have them, but here in Texas we don't get any colder than 30F or 0C.
As far as the RPI scoop, truth be told, there is not any significant difference in performance. The intake will suck in as much air as it needs and no more no less. I've experimented with K&N filter (carbon (second) filter in placed and removed - both) and slightly modified exhaust - no difference... Maybe a little lower gas mileage, which is bad.
So, save yourself over $100 and don't worry about the RPI scoop. Unless you are installing Dinan intake, but then again, you wouldn't need an RPI scoop.
Cheers!
PS: I'd love to get an oil cooler though, in this TX heat. Especially since we have the set-up for it already. I'm pretty sure that the European models have those as well - don't see why though??
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.