BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Flash tuning and BMW servicing

814 Views 6 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  wcr3d
I was wondering if I flash tuned my BMW and need to get it serviced for unrelated reasons would they refuse service on it? Thanks in advanced!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
It is their right.
It does however vary from dealership to dealership.
Okay because I have yet to flash tune it and I would like to but I need to have a place that will fix what needs to be and just take care of annual servicing, thanks so much!
It is their right.
It does however vary from dealership to dealership.
BMW will sitll "service" your car. They just wont PAY for any warranty issues. (To be more accurate, they will not cover any warranty claims relating to the engine or drivetrain.)

So they will do maintenance. And if the engine blows up they will 'service' it. But you will pay, not BMW

(Your terminolgy is a bit odd. FWIW... "servicing"... BMW dealers charge $150-220 an hour. NONE will refuse your buisness for a tune. They are happy to take your money,)

Catastrophic engine failures can be expensive. You could just be unlucky, and have a major issue totally unrelated to the tune- but BMW can say "we believe the tune caused the failure"... and short of you spending $100k to go to court, thats that.

Even minor issues and be thousands of dollars.

BMWNA has been know to pay bonuses to techs that ID cars with modifications... it gets tagged to the VIN. Changing dealers doesnt help.

So.... either decide you are a baller and can pay if anything fails...or wait until the warranty is up (or at least wait a few years to make sure you have a decent copy)
Okay thanks, after I tune Inwill likely not take it to BMW to avoid any issues. My car is out of warranty but don’t want to have to deal with court issues.
Wait, what?

If you are out of warranty there are no 'court issues'.

This entire thread we all assumed you were under a BMW warranty and thats why you were asking. If you arent under warranty there is no problem at all!

Just that a BMW dealer is often THE most expensive source of service...
Okay thanks, after I tune Inwill likely not take it to BMW to avoid any issues. My car is out of warranty but don't want to have to deal with court issues.
The way it was phrased I assumed also.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.