BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2006 530xi 6 MT
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I bought the car it has had this warning and I thought it was the tire pressure sensors, I replaced the sensors and am wondering why TPM is greyed out. Its a 2006 530xi pre lci. Any help would be amazing!
IMG_3005[1].JPG

·
Registered
576 Posts
A few years ago I had a similar problem. TPMS control module. For some reason bmw put in outside underneath the car.

·
Registered
Ship Captain of the Ever Given
872 Posts
I don’t know Canadian vehicles but normally E60 RDC Is in the trunk underneath the spare tire AKA the fish bowl. They have been known to fill with water.

·
Registered
2006 530xi 6 MT
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don’t know Canadian vehicles but normally E60 RDC Is in the trunk underneath the spare tire AKA the fish bowl. They have been known to fill with water.
I'm pretty certain the car was originally American as the speedo is read in MPH

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Look up the vin to determine what the car had for OE. It's possible to enable the FTM system through coding and disable the TPMS.

·
Registered
2006 530xi 6 MT
4,710 Posts
I have a 2006 530xi...like June 2005 production. My car does not use the direct pressure measured TPMS, but rather uses the wheel speed sensors and the FTM system. I'm guessing you have that also. You need to get over to the FTM menu and click "reset". Do that after you verify the tire pressures. The FTM system basically monitors the rolling diameter of the tires relative to each other and when one is out far enough, it declares a flat tire. Over the years, I've had the warning go off a half dozen times...all false alarm except one :)

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
My car is also 2005 production. It doesn't have the TPMS, just the FTM system. It is a Canadian car however, with the speedo only in kmh, though the option of changing certain things to imperial exists in the iDrive.

·
Registered
576 Posts
If he had the tire pressure sensors replaced and doesn’t have TPMS then there is a big problem.

·
Registered
2006 530xi 6 MT
4,710 Posts
If he had the tire pressure sensors replaced and doesn’t have TPMS then there is a big problem.
Yes and maybe. When I've gotten tries, they invariably try to charge me the "TPMS" fee. I explain to them my car does not have TPMS and some believe me right off and others have a look at the valve stems and see the rubber valve stem and then believe. At least at Costco, I've seen the computer output and it shows a 2006 530xi has TPMS. I do know that later in the production year they switched from FTM to TPMS. Now, the OP could have new wheels that, at one time, had TPMS stems. Or, someone could have screwed up not knowing, or someone could have made a few dollars on an unsuspecting person. I picked up some used wheels to put snow tires on the car and they all had TPMS valve stems, but it doesn't interfere with the FTM system, so I just left them in place.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts