Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Michelin and Maxion wheel manufacturer have come up with a flexible wheel that will be available to OEMs this year sometime. Here are a couple of links so you can see and read a bit more about them. Personally, I'd pay extra for these, and, especially on cars with run flat tires, would likely overcome most of the objections to their sometimes rough(er) ride than conventional tires while also limiting and in many cases, preventing wheel/tire damage from potholes.
https://www.extremetech.com/extreme...s-potholes-wont-kill-low-profile-tires-wheels
https://youtu.be/7_elkz5g5-E

·
Registered
539 Posts
We'll see how this pans out. Most of these new technologies tend to be very cost prohibitive and never really get off the ground.
I would have safety concerns about a rim which flexes this way. How would they stop the bead from popping and the tire suddenly deflating.
As far as achieving better ride quality with run flats, I don't think it would have any benefit. The sidewall stiffness is what causes the rough ride characteristics. The flexible rim would have to be very rigid and only deflect on impact with a pothole or handling performance would be negatively affected.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have no such worries. I'm pretty sure that the bead rim portion is likely pretty stiff so that it would not affect the bead sealing or the handling, but would also act to decouple the sidewall stiffness of a RFT to the wheel assembly. Long-term, it might degrade and require replacement, but many people don't keep their cars forever.

We'll see. As was indicated, it will probably show up in a production vehicle before you can retrofit them to an older vehicle. No idea yet which or if any OEMs are going to offer them. Once they show up on a production vehicle we'll get better feedback on how they work on an objective basis not coming from their manufacturers.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,468 Posts
***8220;Skepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer:***8221; (Scepticism and Animal Faith, 1923, George Santayana)

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
IF an OEM decides to offer them as an option, it would be really dumb of them to not have done some testing prior to that. We'll see which, if any, manufacturers bite. Given the plan to only offer them via an OEM channel first is probably a marketing decision...validation of their effectiveness. If none do, that says something, too!

It seems a good choice for those who like low-profile tires, or live in areas where the roads aren't great. Wintertime where I live, especially later in the spring, the roads can be really nasty.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts