Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

My wife's X1 headlights started flickering tonight. Got in, started the car, and the headlights, low and high, started flashing in a strobing effect but the headlight switch was off. Once the headlight switch was turned on the problem stopped. Turn them back off and the problem continues but only when the car is running.

I recently installed HID's, with error cancellers, as the car came with halogen headlights. They have been in and working fine for a little over a week now. I saw some SIB's for other models but wanted some help to make sure I head in the right direction as the fix differs quite a bit from model to model from what I was finding from the radio to the headlight switch.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hello All,

My wife's X1 headlights started flickering tonight. Got in, started the car, and the headlights, low and high, started flashing in a strobing effect but the headlight switch was off. Once the headlight switch was turned on the problem stopped. Turn them back off and the problem continues but only when the car is running.

I recently installed HID's, with error cancellers, as the car came with halogen headlights. They have been in and working fine for a little over a week now. I saw some SIB's for other models but wanted some help to make sure I head in the right direction as the fix differs quite a bit from model to model from what I was finding from the radio to the headlight switch.

Thanks in advance for the help.

I installed LEDs as well and put up a thread regarding. Check it out.

Whenever you start the vehicle, it sends very small voltages to the lights to check them for function. With regular halogen headlights, it takes a certain amount of voltage to actually transmit light but the vehicle can sense they're working without showing actual light. HID/LED lights use less voltage so the voltage sent out for the halogen function check is enough to make HID/LEDs light up. This is the flickering you see. The error cancel harness usually prevents this but not always. Best option is to get the OBD II plug in called Carly. You simply plug it into your OBD port and use the app(free). There's a multitude of options you can adjust to your liking. One of them is to turn off the headlight check. This will prevent the low voltage sent to your lights for the function check, therefore ending the flickering.

Got mine off Amazon for $63. Search:

Carly Original Bluetooth GEN 2 OBD Adapter for Android - BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, Renault, Toyota

Really a lot of neat options within it. Read up on it and see if it's something you would benefit from.

2006 330xi
2015 X1 xdrive28i

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a lot.

Got it ordered through Amazon and should be here Sunday. Hopefully this resolves it quickly. Thank you again.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Thanks a lot.

Got it ordered through Amazon and should be here Sunday. Hopefully this resolves it quickly. Thank you again.

No problem. My favorite changes were stopping the flicker, upping the amount of times my rear wiper wipes, changing the turn signal from 3 to 5 on a soft signal and keeping the low beams and fog lights on when I turn on the high beams. Also took off the block that prevents you from playing DVDs while driving(shhh). So many more options, it'll take a couple of hours to go through them all. Be sure to follow the instructions and make a back up of OEM settings before you change each thing just in case it doesn't play nicely. Don't change anything you're not sure of without researching it.

2006 330xi
2015 X1 xdrive28i

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No problem. My favorite changes were stopping the flicker, upping the amount of times my rear wiper wipes, changing the turn signal from 3 to 5 on a soft signal and keeping the low beams and fog lights on when I turn on the high beams. Also took off the block that prevents you from playing DVDs while driving(shhh). So many more options, it'll take a couple of hours to go through them all. Be sure to follow the instructions and make a back up of OEM settings before you change each thing just in case it doesn't play nicely. Don't change anything you're not sure of without researching it.

2006 330xi
2015 X1 xdrive28i
Thank you again so much for your help. I received the device today and was able to easily navigate it and get the headlight issue resolved and make a few other changes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts