BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My left-front Xenon is randomly shutting down. Simply turning the lights on and off seems to reset it but occasionally it turns off again. Obviously it's not a fuse or it simply wouldn't work at all. Could it be the ballast? If so, how do I get a replacement? I've looked at (what I think is) the ballast, (aluminum rectangular casing), and it seems a simple plug-and-play switcharoo. But I can't find this part on Bavauto, IF it's the ballast. I have an OBDII scanner headed my way to identify the problem, but until then does anyone have any suggestions??

·
Registered
348 Posts
Check out DDM - they probably have a replacement ballast. You sure it's not just the bulb about to fail?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check out DDM - they probably have a replacement ballast. You sure it's not just the bulb about to fail?
I am unfamiliar with DDM. And i didn't know Xenons could fail. Gawd, i hope it's not that, $$$.

·
(oOO)\(lll)°(lll)/(OOo)
1,567 Posts
did the car come with xenons or were they retrofitted?

if you think its the ballast which has gone bad try to swap them left <-> right and see if the problem moves also, this will isolate the ballast.. then you could just get one of ebay or your local junk yard, or even the classified..

·
-------------------------
1,643 Posts
I am unfamiliar with DDM. And i didn't know Xenons could fail. Gawd, i hope it's not that, $$$.
Ballast and bulbs do go bad.

As said, try swapping the ballast to the other side and see if the same thing is happening if so then your ballast is bad.

You can pick up a pair of used Hella ballast for around $100. :thumbup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts