BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This could apply to any car and any dealer (not just BMWs) -- but why is there such a game with "floor mats" any time you purchase a car?

It seems like dealers always eventually throw them in, but usually you have to ask, and do some song and dance in negotiations.

Shouldn't they just come with the car? I mean, you dont' have to ask the dealer to throw in volume control knobs on the radio, or wiper blades?

After all these years and all the games with mats, why do we still have to consider whether the dealer will be "generous" enough to include them. Doesn't everyone already know the game with floor mats.

1. buyer: floor mats are included right?
2. dealer: no
3. buyer: will you throw them in the deal?
4. dealer: (after much hemming and hawing) -- umm, okay (usually).

Why don't they just come with all cars -- and be done with it already. Jeez.

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
If it makes you feel better, we have to pay them here. :)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alex Baumann said:
If it makes you feel better, we have to pay them here. :)
I'm just bewildered by it. I don't understand why all cars don't automatically come with them. It makes no sense.

And its annoying to play the game at the dealership.

I even told my BMW dealer, that I automatically assume mats are included in the price.

·
Livin' like Larry!
8,850 Posts
My dealer does just include them... most of the cars on their showroom floors already have them in the trunk... When I bought my CPO car from them, all the floor mats were OK, except the drivers one (it was a "brass hat" (Executive Car) and the Exec must have been someone who wore high heels, because the car only had 9K on it, and the mat was almost worn through...) so I asked for a new drivers mat... they gave me a completely new set (all four) and let me keep the old ones, suggesting that I stash the worn one in my trunk and use it for changing tires, snow traction, what have you! :thumbup: I keep the other ones as spares...

·
Ultimate Driving Machine
2,208 Posts
Because everyone wants to feel like they got something for nothing and its something cheap the dealer can throw in to make you feel better about the deal. If floor mats were automatically included, then buyers would be asking for something else to be thrown in.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
TGray5 said:
Because everyone wants to feel like they got something for nothing and its something cheap the dealer can throw in to make you feel better about the deal. If floor mats were automatically included, then buyers would be asking for something else to be thrown in.
I don't know about that -- it just seems to make the whole process of buying a car already more annoying than it is.

Okay -- let's do the pretend to ask the manager dance about your price.

Okay -- let's pretend like floor mats are an issue.

It's all so demeaning for everyone.

·
Bimmerfest Founder
15,477 Posts
I agree with Caesar. 7 Series buyers get free mats. 5 Series buyers get free mats (at least they did w/E39). But then you have the lowly 3 Series buyer who does not (same with X5 as I recall). I can't tell you how many times the dealer has gotten ripped on CSI because floor mats weren't included. I bet if BMWNA were to simply include them on ALL new vehicles retailed, then the aggregate new buyer's satisfaction
scores would go up by several points as compared to competitive brands. And,
what would the true cost the BMW be for this? Maybe $30 per vehicle. It's a
"no-brainer" i.m.h.o.

·
Stuck in Monday
2,766 Posts
The reason for this is that there aren't too many low cost items that a dealer can use as incentives to sweeten the deal. I do agree that it is pretty silly, especially on a BMW. My dealer offered to throw them in for free on my E46 without my even having to ask.

I ended up paying for the all-season mats, which are DEFINITELY worth it, especially with the black interior. Cleaning those things is so easy and they don't look worn at all. I don't worry about getting into the car with dirty shoes. :eeps:

·
Grinning from ear to ear
2,029 Posts
TLudwig said:
I ended up paying for the all-season mats, which are DEFINITELY worth it, especially with the black interior. Cleaning those things is so easy and they don't look worn at all. I don't worry about getting into the car with dirty shoes. :eeps:
Hahahaha, my dealer was going to "throw in" the floor mats. So I didn't consider that as part of the bargain. Instead I got him to throw in a set of all season mats too! So he gave me 2 sets of free mats Yippee. Now I have my regular mats - untouched - sitting in storage so when I go to sell the car they are in pristine shape.

·
Stuck in Monday
2,766 Posts
icemanjs4 said:
Hahahaha, my dealer was going to "throw in" the floor mats. So I didn't consider that as part of the bargain. Instead I got him to throw in a set of all season mats too! So he gave me 2 sets of free mats Yippee. Now I have my regular mats - untouched - sitting in storage so when I go to sell the car they are in pristine shape.
Nice work. :thumbup: I got such a good deal on the car at the time that I wasn't worried about hassling him on the all season mats. I liked the fact that, unlike other dealers in my area, he was willing to negotiate the price down without playing the stupid floor mat games that the original poster complained about.

·
Grinning from ear to ear
2,029 Posts
TLudwig said:
Nice work. :thumbup: I got such a good deal on the car at the time that I wasn't worried about hassling him on the all season mats. I liked the fact that, unlike other dealers in my area, he was willing to negotiate the price down without playing the stupid floor mat games that the original poster complained about.
The funny thing is that I wasn't going to ask. But I named my price (which i NEVER expected him to agree to). He came back half an hour later and agreed to my terms. I was shocked - but I felt if he agreed, I should at least ask for a little more to test the waters kind of a "Ok, the deal's pretty good. Toss in one more thing and I'll sign right now!".

·
Stuck in Monday
2,766 Posts
icemanjs4 said:
The funny thing is that I wasn't going to ask. But I named my price (which i NEVER expected him to agree to). He came back half an hour later and agreed to my terms. I was shocked - but I felt if he agreed, I should at least ask for a little more to test the waters kind of a "Ok, the deal's pretty good. Toss in one more thing and I'll sign right now!".
I specifically requested $XXX dollars over invoice, which no other dealer in my area had come close to agreeing to, and he called me back with a total dollar figure that was actually several hundred dollars under my request. To this day, I don't know whether it was intentional or a mistake (probably the latter), but I jumped on it without asking any questions or asking for more.

·
Lurking around since 2005
1,349 Posts
we never got any with my dad's past 3 or our honda oddyssey, my parents aren't too car savy, thats why i now do all the dealing :D

·
Family Man User
5,540 Posts
For some reason I recall mats being included in all car purchases, whether economy or luxury, since like the 80's. Then last year when I bought my car, they were suddenly extra. Was there a switch some time, or did have dealers for most car companies always sold them separately?

·
Master Lurker
151 Posts
Jon said:
I agree with Caesar. 7 Series buyers get free mats. 5 Series buyers get free mats (at least they did w/E39). But then you have the lowly 3 Series buyer who does not (same with X5 as I recall). I can't tell you how many times the dealer has gotten ripped on CSI because floor mats weren't included. I bet if BMWNA were to simply include them on ALL new vehicles retailed, then the aggregate new buyer's satisfaction
scores would go up by several points as compared to competitive brands. And,
what would the true cost the BMW be for this? Maybe $30 per vehicle. It's a
"no-brainer" i.m.h.o.
When I asked about floor mats my sales guy said that they (my local dealer) include them with all 3 series vehicles. In talking to the sales manager later on he said he just got tired of getting ripped on the surveys so he just included them in all sales.

·
Premium Member
17,427 Posts
Battery not included.

·
Registered
187 Posts
"ahh...you want one with an engine sir ?
......there's a small upcharge for that I'm afraid " :)

Another real annoyance ...
I'm convinced that most UK dealers have paced out the distance to the nearest petrol station... and measure in enough petrol [by the "teaspoon "] to get you there!

But don't change gear a few revs too high...or you'll be 100 yards short! ;)

·
Empowered Consumer
4,042 Posts
Passenger said:
I'm convinced that most UK dealers have paced out the distance to the nearest petrol station... and measure in enough petrol [by the "teaspoon "] to get you there!
My dealer had my tank filled up at pickup.

As far as the mats go, any dealer wanting higher scores ought to throw them in, and let the customer know they're getting them as a gift.

Alex

·
M Mad
10,476 Posts
BahnBaum said:
My dealer had my tank filled up at pickup.

As far as the mats go, any dealer wanting higher scores ought to throw them in, and let the customer know they're getting them as a gift.

Alex
But, you went a decent dealer. :)

I got mats, wheel locks (anyone want to make an offer) and two license plate frames (still have on in teh package, again anyone want to make an offer). Oh and a BMW leather jacket. :)

·
I love my beautiful wife.
2,151 Posts
icemanjs4 said:
I think with your interior color, the all season's would look better!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts