BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was talking about this with a friend who had it on his older bmw where flooring it causes the gas pedal to briefly resist and then continues forward a little more. What is that? It would appear to be some feature and not an error since he said all his older BMWs had it.

However, talking to people with newer BMWs, they have no idea what I'm talking about. Any ideas?

·
Retired USAF MSgt
546 Posts
No, Their is no resistance in the feel of the pedal and is smooth through to the floor. nothing else, no other resistance at all. The pedal is basically a large potentiometer and you may have a defect in it. I would remove it and give it the once over, look at the pivot points and check how smooth it does work in your hands. It's pretty simple to R&R, check the install of the the "Sprint Booster" device as it covers the whole process.

·
Registered
539 Posts
As amancuso said it is the kickdown switch. It essentially causes the car to gear down to get more power from the engine so you can pass someone. I believe only the cars equipped with an automatic transmission have it as with the manual transmissions you can manually gear down and step on the gas.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Yes the SMG's have it due to their "Automatic" setting so like in regular automatic transmissions you have slightly more control of the gear changes.

After a bit of searching it seems that the newer BMWs still do have a kickdown switch, which would be expected as the E60 had the similar SMG III transmissions to the E46 M3's SMG II. I searched in the E9x, E60 & F01 forum and found reference to the kickdown switch. I would think those people that you have talked to have never tried to push down harder on their gas pedals, if you have an opportunity try and see if they really do. In my old 323 I never knew that the switch existed for quite some time until I really romped on the pedal one day when the car barely moved as I tried to pass someone.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.