BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Fluctuating oil level

5K views 28 replies 11 participants last post by  markl53 
#1 ·
I've logged about 5600 miles on my F10 535i. I took it in once for service at 2600 miles and at that time, the oil level indicator had dropped one "tick", 1/4 quart low. They must have topped it off because the next day when I checked the level, it read full again. So I've been keeping an eye on it every few days and about a month ago it dropped 1/4 quart again, which I figured was no big deal. OK, so yesterday I check it on the way to work and it had dropped to 1/2 qt. low since the day before. OK, so it seems to be using oil at a fairly low and consistent rate. So later on the way home I check it and what (?), it reads full! My trip home is 34 miles and I checked a few more times. It went back down to 1/4 low and stayed there the rest of the way. Has anyone else noticed this type of fluctuation? I'm wondering if the wide temperature range on some of these spring days is enough to push it up or down 1/4 quart if the level is right "on the edge" of going to the next level. Hopefully I don't have a bad oil sensor, I'll keep an eye on it.

#2 ·
I've been getting similar behavior at first. but now it's been consistently showing 1/4 low, with 7k miles. I haven't added any oil. Moisture is often held in the oil and system, till it's burned off. This may be accounting for some of your discrepancies. If the variances in your case were wider, I'd be concerned. 7 quarts of oil for a 3 liter inline 6 is a very large amount. There's sufficient wiggle room built into the system for you to run less than optimal amount of oil without damaging the engine. I wouldn't worry about it for now.

#3 ·
oil level readings

I'd suggest you drive at least 10 miles to get the oil hot and then check it on a level part of the highway at the same spot each day on your commute to get a consistent reading. My F10 535 used 1/4 quart the first 2700 miles and I topped it off to full. Hasn't used any and I get consistent full readings on oil levels now at 5600 miles.

#5 ·
I'm more concerned with the possibly erratic oil level readings than having lost 1/4 quart in normal use.

#6 ·
I've experienced this once. I've checked my oil about once a week and always after the car has been running for a while and it's up to temperature. It has always read full and I did my oil change at 2200 and it now has 4400 miles . . but . . a few days ago I checked the oil and it was 1/4 of 1 quart low (just a tick), I figured I've been doing a lot of city driving so it has finally started to burn oil - no biggie. I've checked it twice more after that and the oil level is back to full! For all readings the car is running on the freeway straight and leveled. I have one of the programmable buttons assigned to the oil level.

#7 ·
I have one of the programmable buttons assigned to the oil level.
Thanks for the input. And programming a button for oil level is cool, didn't think of that.

#9 ·
Again, my post was regarding possible erratic readings. It was at 1/4 low for a couple months, then 1/2. I didn't get excited. But then it bounced all the way back to full and back down to 1/4 low. It's been at the same level now for a few days, I think it was just a glitch or temp variation thing (maybe).

#18 ·
question is how and when are you taking the measurements? it will vary.
I always measure the same way, usually while driving at a steady speed on a straight, flat road. I had an '08 335i previously which used the same electronic measurement system. The reading has gone back to indicating 1/4 low consistently over the past few days which matches what it has been showing for about 2 months. Something happened that particular day to cause the readings to vary over a period of time from 1/4 low to 1/2 low (which I thought was normal consumption), then back to 100% full, then back down to its current 1/4 low reading.

And BTW, do you find your readings differ depending on how and when you take your measurements?

#19 ·
I always measure the same way, usually while driving at a steady speed on a straight, flat road. I had an '08 335i previously which used the same electronic measurement system. The reading has gone back to indicating 1/4 low consistently over the past few days which matches what it has been showing for about 2 months. Something happened that particular day to cause the readings to vary over a period of time from 1/4 low to 1/2 low (which I thought was normal consumption), then back to 100% full, then back down to its current 1/4 low reading.

And BTW, do you find your readings differ depending on how and when you take your measurements?
are guys adding a quart of oil when the level is bang in the middle of max/min or waiting until they get their warning? i'm at 4,000 miles and i'm sitting in the middle of the range, is topping off the engine a crazy idea? or should i just go get a change completely? i'm pushing her a little harder recently as Dinan tune begs for attention.

#23 ·
Happened again, exact sequence

OK, this past Tuesday I was driving to work, checked the oil like I do every couple of days. Again it had dropped to 1/2 low from its previous long-term reading of 1/4 low. Again, no big deal, I figured this time it really is 1/2 quart low. The reading was taken at constant speed on level highway, as usual. Later when driving home it goes back to 100% full again like several weeks ago. Still reading full after 34 miles when I get home. Next day it drops back to 1/4 low. I guess I might have to take it in for a check. Now I'm not sure whether it's really 1/2 low or defective oil level sensor.

#28 ·
OK, this past Tuesday I was driving to work, checked the oil like I do every couple of days. Again it had dropped to 1/2 low from its previous long-term reading of 1/4 low. Again, no big deal, I figured this time it really is 1/2 quart low. The reading was taken at constant speed on level highway, as usual. Later when driving home it goes back to 100% full again like several weeks ago. Still reading full after 34 miles when I get home. Next day it drops back to 1/4 low. I guess I might have to take it in for a check. Now I'm not sure whether it's really 1/2 low or defective oil level sensor.
My car has done it once more: down to 1/2 quart low, up to a tick low and then back to normal. Oh, how I wish for a dipstick :cry: I treat this as just another annoyance my car has and not worth dwelling on it too much - I have several on my list.
I will add a quart when I get the warning and only then, since I believe it is much worse to overfill than it is to run the car with one quart low.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.