BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well ive had my 528i for six months now and it been running great with very few problems. :thumbup: I want to keep it that way by doing everything i can to keep it well maintained. I have almost 110 k miles on it and i want to know what fluids i should change and everything i can do to prevent major problems. Could anyone tell me anything they think i should do because i don't know when any of the fluids have been replaced. I am already about to replace spark plugs, fuel filter, engine air filter, cabin filters, vanos and oil. Anyone have any other suggestions that could really help my car? Also i am not completely sure if anything has been done to my cooling system but in know all my hoses and belt were recently replaces.

·
Premium Member
7,744 Posts
If you have no records, you can only assume they have not been changed. So change them all, and start fresh. If you truly plan on keeping the car for a while, then this is your best strategy. Personally, I would never buy a car without records.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have records it tells me a few of the specific things but otherwise it just says vehicle serviced

·
Premium Member
7,744 Posts
Unfortunately, that is simply a reciept... :(

·
^^^Worst Username Ever!
1,381 Posts
Have you tried using the search feature? There's many many threads that can answer your questions.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Why would you change the VANOS?
Is there a problem with the engine?
This is much more involved than changing spark plugs.

Al. Wise

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
My take

Typically a BMW is under CPO for the first 4-5yrs with oil changes for the first 3 yrs free. So minimally the up to 2003 everything was taken care of. So, between 2004 and now you may have had some late changes...check the stealer and see if they have records...Most BMW's aren't bought by people that are going to neglect them or not take care of them...I know some are...but MOST are not. So you again have that on your side...So, the logical thing to do is to change all the fluids, filters etc and plugs...Including, brake, coolant, engine oil, air filter, oil filter, and cabin filters. Next I'd look at wheel bearings, and brakes...just check em to make sure they are good...then just stay on top of the changes and whenever something breaks get it fixed asap...

GL and congrats on the new ride!

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
Vanos seals are done for sure. Beisan has the ones that should be mounted with car in the first place.
As for the fluids, as mentioned before, change them all and be done. If yours is an automatic, and you wish to keep the car, maybe you would want to change the ATF (some people might say different considering the mileage - but a new fluid is a new fluid). Also, don't forget the differential. These are not changed by BMW - they are "lifetime".
The engine oil if it was changed by BMW interval standards, it's usually black.
They will recommend the coolant flush every 2 or 3 years I think. Change & flush brake fluid & powersteering fluid. You can do all this. The dealer will skin you.
The filters should be changed as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts