BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am going to change my 2006 BMW X3 Automatic -no steptronic transmission fluids. I am just going to drain and refill the Transmission fluid without dropping the pan. I started by reading this thread http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=677311

I couldnt find information, like how much of what fluid, where to buy... etc. So I searched on. Someone mentioned a Rear Differential and a Front Differential? Is the Front Differential, the transfer case, or is it something different?

I am planning on buying
8qts of Redline D4 Fluid - https://www.ecstuning.com/ES2523329/
1qt C-SAF-XO Final drive oil - https://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E83-X3-M54_3.0L/ES2562683/
1qt TF-0870 power divider oil - https://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E83-X3-M54_3.0L/ES2515453/

Is this all I need? Is there a front differential? Is 1qt enough for the rear Diff? Can I used Redline 75w90 Gear oil for my Rear Diff? I have used Redline for my 3000GTs for the last 20 years, and havent had any issues with them.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Dunno about capacities, but yes, three separate boxes full of stuff. Transfer case at back of transmission, differentials between the wheels front and rear. The transfer case has a drive shaft which runs forward to the front differential and a rear drive shaft going to the back one.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
You will need 2L to do both diffs (about 0.9L in rear, 1.1L in front). Or 3L if you anticipate spillage!

Didn't know you can actually still buy the SAF-XO gear oil. Not sure it is any different than most other fully-synthetic 75W90 oils so nothing wrong with using Redline.

Automakers have their own preferences for power distribution architecture for awd and for BMW the transfer case is simply there just to feed the front and rear diffs.

For the 5spd. AT, Redline D4 is a suitable replacement for the Texaco ETL7045 factory fill, but as you are not dropping the pan, give some thought to fluid mixing.

D4 is also a replacement for Dexron III, Mercon and ZF fluids, so is a broad-based product.

Not saying this applies in your case, but a 2006 X3 might have already been changed to Dex VI by a dealer and that is one case where a D4 top-up would not be a good idea.

Some other multi-application transmission fluids are a closer match to Texaco ETL7045, where a change has never been done, because they don't aim to cover as many bases as Redline D4.

It's a tough call and lots of varying opinions.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
D4 is also a replacement for Dexron III, Mercon and ZF fluids, so is a broad-based product.

Not saying this applies in your case, but a 2006 X3 might have already been changed to Dex VI by a dealer and that is one case where a D4 top-up would not be a good idea.
Thanks for the heads up. Apparently there is a tag on the transmission that should say what fluid should have been used originally. I will just go with what the tag says.

My wife bought it with 60K miles, and since its "Lifetime" fluids, its unlikely that the fluid has ever been changed.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
The green (?) sticker on the bottom of the pan may have a BMW part no. for Texaco ETL7045 which a dealer parts counter will tell you has been superseded by the part no. for Dex VI

At least a few 2004 - 2006 owners on this forum have used Redline D4 I am sure, and a few more have used Dex VI, neither with any reported problems.

But most have either done something approaching a full flush at the dealer or several drain and fills in succession to empty out as much of the original fluid as possible.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
I used Valvoline Synthetic Dex VI in. The trans, synthetic gear oil in the front and rear diffs, and genuine BMW transfer case fluid in the transfer case at 120k miles. First change, ouch.

Car runs, shifts, and turns great. Hopefully I dodged the " lifetime oil" bullet early enough. SWMBO daily driver, who drives her cars sedately and has clutches over 200k on her resume, which really helps

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The green (?) sticker on the bottom of the pan may have a BMW part no. for Texaco ETL7045 which a dealer parts counter will tell you has been superseded by the part no. for Dex VI

At least a few 2004 - 2006 owners on this forum have used Redline D4 I am sure, and a few more have used Dex VI, neither with any reported problems.

But most have either done something approaching a full flush at the dealer or several drain and fills in succession to empty out as much of the original fluid as possible.
Oh, so there is no place to find that Texaco ETL7045?

The multiple drain thing sounds like a huge waste of money. 3 drains will probably be over 20qts, which is $250 or more in fluids. Any idea on what a BMW-centric shop would charge to do the Transmission flush?

Also, I watched a video(2 videos) of the drain from BAV auto... in that video he did not mention getting fluid out of the torque converter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZbA-OqoPJQ

·
Under the lift arms
13,019 Posts
make sure you use the BMW transfer case oil.. I beilve it takes just about the whole thing, just shy of a quart

the front and rear diff's are just diff's they can get what ever... I did mobile1 syn 75-90 and my trans go the same (but im a 6spdMt)

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
I started dropping three liters from the pan annually and replacing the same volume. The sludge load in the pan and magnet was very light at 120k so I'm not going to do pan and filter again until 200k. The 3 liter refresh will keep the oil fresh in the meantime.

Diffs and transfer now on annual Check and semiannual refresh. We drive this car 12-15k per year

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Oh, so there is no place to find that Texaco ETL7045?

The multiple drain thing sounds like a huge waste of money. 3 drains will probably be over 20qts, which is $250 or more in fluids.
Some reports that a few BMW shops still have that Texaco fluid in bulk, but otherwise virtually unobtainable.

It is similar to Dexron III but somehow a bit different with its "lifetime" additives.

Converting to Dex VI with 2 or 3 flushes is not that expensive as that fluid is relatively cheap (compared to Redline D4 or other multi-application fluids). Maybe as low as $5/qt. at Walmart?

·
Aficionado
3,016 Posts
I am going to change my 2006 BMW X3 Automatic -no steptronic transmission .
Just as a clarifying comment, all automatics are Steptronic.

·
BM and V dub love!
313 Posts
You need Dex-VI. It is more or less the factory fill. My X3 has had Valvoline DEX-VI and 1oz/quart of Lubegard Red in the transmission for the last 25k miles and it shifts smooth as butter. I'm getting ready to service it again in the coming week, as I like to do 30k drain and fills on my cars with a BMW filter every 3rd change.

BMW oil ONLY in the transfer case.

Quality GL-5 for the front and rear differentials. I buy Castrol Syntrax 75W-90 in 6 packs and use it in all of my differentials.

Sent from my Chroma Nexus 6

·
BM and V dub love!
313 Posts
Yeah I do most of my services with a jack stand under each lift point so it sits level.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Some reports that a few BMW shops still have that Texaco fluid in bulk, but otherwise virtually unobtainable.

It is similar to Dexron III but somehow a bit different with its "lifetime" additives.

Converting to Dex VI with 2 or 3 flushes is not that expensive as that fluid is relatively cheap (compared to Redline D4 or other multi-application fluids). Maybe as low as $5/qt. at Walmart?
Thats good. Is that for a Synthetic fluid? What fluid would you suggest?

·
Anti-Hack
5,128 Posts
I wouldn't change the fluid without dropping the pan to also change the filter, clean the metal out of the pan, reset the magnet, and inspect.

Easiest way to do all driveline fluids is by driving the vehicle up on 4 ramps. It always needs to be level when doing fluids.

You'll need a fluid transfer pump to do all 4.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
I wouldn't change the fluid without dropping the pan to also change the filter, clean the metal out of the pan, reset the magnet, and inspect.

Easiest way to do all driveline fluids is by driving the vehicle up on 4 ramps. It always needs to be level when doing fluids.

You'll need a fluid transfer pump to do all 4.
I had so little sludge after 10 years/120k Im not worried about it moving forward.

I rigged an IV bottle to fill mine, level on four ramps, which was much nicer than pumping underneath. For drain/replenish, I loaded 3.5 liters and it just started oozing out as the bottle emptied.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Thats good. Is that for a Synthetic fluid? What fluid would you suggest?
The Walmart Dex VI will be a synthetic blend - it has to be at least that to meet performance specs. for the Dex VI license.

AFAIK, the additive package to meet Dex VI is only available from one supplier so there cannot be too much difference between ATF Dex VI brands other than whether they are fully synthetic or semi-synthetic.

Don't like to suggest anything on this as it is complicated, but moving to Dex VI for '04 -'06 models seems to be the best plan.
How you get there is the question - repeated drain and fills or some other way to get most of the original fluid replaced (machine flush, etc.).

Dex VI is backward compatible with Dex III but the original fluid isn't exactly Dex III.
And it's not forward compatible meaning you must not add Dex III to a Dex VI fill.
But if can never get out all the original fluid, what does that imply?

Here's one of the best explanations of the complexity that I have seen:
https://www.cartechbooks.com/techtips/autotransfluid

·
BM and V dub love!
313 Posts
Here is my tool:

Gas can, 1/2 pex fittings, and some nylon tubing. Minimal mess and easy to work with solo.

I wouldn't worry too much about replacing all the original fluid with Dex VI on the first go round. I would drop the pan, change the filter and gasket, fill it, drive it for 10-15 minutes, and do one more drain and fill. Do a drain and fill during your next oil change, and then put your drain/fills to whatever schedule you want.

Remember to fill until it runs from the hole, install the plug, shift through all gears, and then fill again while the engine is running and the trans is in park.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi guys, i have a 2011 750 I Xdrive, i recently changed out the transmission fluid, pan,filter,o rings etc. I am getting intermittently a transmission malfunction, my question is i'm wondering if this could be the result of my differential and transfer fluid either low or needs changing? thanks.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts