Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - can't find an answer on this, is there a way to inspect the flywheel teeth without removing the trans? Most bellhousings I've worked on have a removable plate that lets you see the flywheel teeth.

As my starter was dying it would disengage under power and grind the starter gear against the flywheel. Want to be sure it didn't do some real damage. I can try to get a look at it from the starter mount as it's being replaced, but I don't know how much I'll see.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
There is no removable plate on the tranny to inspect the flywheel. However there are two holes on the bottom of the tranny you might be able to look through. First thing I would try is shinning a light through one hole and looking through the other hole while a friend slowly turns over the engine. If that doesn't work you can try using a mirror or borescope to look through the hole for the starter. The starter is too high up to get your head in there so you will need something to look in there. A borescope can be picked up on eBay for like $10 that hooks up to your laptop or phone.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts