BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,853 Posts
The antenna in mine 645 is in the back of the trunk lid. The XM antenna is there also, it does not work well. BMW added another antenna to mine on the XM, & it still sux! I have not really had problems with my FM reception, so this is new to me.

·
Super Moderator
9,853 Posts
You would think BMW would have put a little more thought in where the antennas were installed. My XM was so bad, that they could not even make it better, with a new system, & an antenna located on top of the car. It worked no better after 5k of their money.

·
Super Moderator
9,853 Posts
The aux option for XM, or IHeart radio, would get much better reception on the car. This takes the antenna out of the solution, & get a better signal. There is a good CIC update in the DIY section if you want to go that way?

·
Super Moderator
9,853 Posts
This would be a good question for Gary, as he knows the stereo problems with our cars. I still have XM issues, even after BMW changed the complete system out. They wound up putting on an external antenna on the top of the car, but it still sucks! This was the best they could do. Since I couldn't live with all of the problems, I just disconnected XM.

·
Super Moderator
9,853 Posts
You could upgrade to a CIC, or go the Android route. The android route would be cheaper & faster to get up & running. I am not totally up to date on which unit has worked the best, but this would solve your problem. This would also give you an option to add a rear view camera for around 100.00. Once the Android unit is installed, you would have lots of options for listening to anything you would like. You would also have Google Maps up & running, with real time Nav. Our CCC units just suck! The NBT option would be very complicated, based on what others have tried. There are just to many differences in the new & old head units, that require way to much tweaking.

·
Super Moderator
9,853 Posts
From my experience, yes, I think head deck. Especially as mine does a similar thing. The Ants are active, and like anything thats powered, can play up, but its Occams razor.
I agree with Herb and personally went the Android head deck route. Google maps and greater access to radio via the internet etc.
Which unit did you buy, & how has it been working? Was there any compatibility problems with the CCC, & does it have a rear view camera input?

·
Super Moderator
9,853 Posts
Not sure if this might help?

CCC diagnosis: E60, E61, E63, E64, E70, E87, E90, E91, E92, E93, R56
Car Communication Computer diagnosis: E60, E61, E63, E64, E70, E87, E90, E91, E92, E93, R56

Fault recognition

The CCC comprises the following control units:
-CCC aerial tuner (CCC-ANT)
-CCC applications (CCC-A)
-CCC user interface (CCC-BO)
-CCC audio system controller (CCC-ASK)
-CCC gateway (CCC-GW)

Each control unit is equipped with test programs for fault recognition. If a fault develops, this will be entered in the corresponding fault memory. Not all test programs are executed in running mode. For each control unit there are additional test programs (self-test and system test) that have to be started separately. These additional test programs are also able to make entries in the fault memories. For a complete and thorough diagnosis, the test programs in the individual control units must be run before the fault code memories are checked. These test programs are automatically run in the existing test schedules for the CCC.

Note: Test program for malfunctions without fault memory, restructured from DIS-DVD 46.0.

From DIS-DVD 46.0, the test program for malfunctions without fault memory has been restructured. Depending on the software status, known fault patterns are displayed in a catalogue along with actions for fault elimination.

Self-tests
  • Hardware for CCC-ANT
  • Connection to aerial diversity
  • RAM for CCC-ANT
  • Internal voltage: 8.5 V
  • Hardware for navigation system
  • Flash memory for file system
  • RAM for navigation system
  • Flash memory for navigation system
  • Power supply for navigation system
  • Voltage for yaw-rate sensor
  • Yaw-rate sensor condition
  • Hardware for CCC-BO
  • Connection to DVD drive
  • Flash memory for CCC-BO
  • Internal SDRAM for CCC-BO
  • External SDRAM for CCC-BO
  • Operating system initialisation
  • Hardware for CCC-ASK
  • RAM for CCC-ASK
  • Flash memory for CCC-ASK
  • EEPROM for CCC-ASK
  • Connection to CD-ROM/MD drive
-CCC gateway (CCC-GW)
  • Hardware for CCC-GW
  • RAD_ON signal
  • CCC internal voltage
  • SRAM for CCC-GW
  • EEPROM for CCC-GW
  • Temperatures in CCC (without DVD drive)

System tests
  • CCC internal connections
  • Connection to aerial diversity
  • Connection to GPS aerial
  • Connections to navigation system
  • Hardware for CCC-BO
  • Video signal input
  • LVDS to Central Information Display
  • CAN bus
  • Internal MOST bus
  • Voice recognition system (Loop_Back_Test)
  • Microphone
  • Mute signal wire
  • Audio signal input/output
  • Telephone connection
  • Voice recognition system (Loop_Back_Test)
  • CCC internal connections
-CCC gateway (CCC-GW)
  • Hardware for CCC-GW
  • CAN bus
  • MOST bus
  • Fan
  • Connections to loudspeakers
  • Terminal 58g (locating light)

Control unit functions
  • ”Aerials self-test” diagnosis query
    The ”Aerials self-test” diagnosis query must be started in the control unit functions before the result can be extracted. Otherwise the ”Defect” message will always be displayed.

• ”Voice output” diagnosis query
    Default value for European and US versions: ready
    Default value for Japanese version: not ready (not R56)
  • ”Voice recognition” diagnosis query
    Default value for European and US versions: ready
    Default value for Japanese version: not ready (not R56)

• ”Microphone test” diagnosis query
    Start the ”Microphone test” by pressing ”Display”. A signal sounds. If the signal is muted, end the diagnosis query by pressing ”Display” again. If ”Not connected” is displayed for the test, restart the ”Microphone test”. While the signal sounds, other noises must be made in the direction of the microphone.
    If a TOP-HIFI amplifier is fitted, no signal will sound. The ”Microphone test” can only be conducted if noises are made in the direction of the microphone.
    If ”Not connected” is displayed for the test, check the encoding. If the encoding is correct, check the connection from the microphone to the CCC using the circuit diagram. If the connection is correct, replace the microphone.

-Fault type
  • Fault
    No sound, loudspeakers correctly fitted (e.g. if TOP-HIFI amplifier is fitted but CCC is encoded for stereo).
  • Fault elimination
    Check CCC encoding and change as necessary.

-CCC reset
Reset the CCC as follows, as instructed in the test module:
  • Simultaneously press the rotary push button and the eject buttons for the CD-ROM/MD drive and the DVD drive.

-Favourites buttons
E70 and E93 from start of series production
The favourites buttons (programmable buttons) can be diagnosed through a control unit function.

·
Super Moderator
9,853 Posts
Components connected to the Car Communication Computer (CCC)

-
-Fan
-MOST framework
-Loudspeakers (not with Top HiFi system)
-Central Information Display (CID)
-Radio aerial
-GPS aerials
-Microphone
-Video input

Fan

To test the fan, it is activated with maximum speed. After a startup period of 5 seconds, the speed is measured.

-Maximum speed: approx. 7000 rpm
-Speed > 4200 rpm => fan OK
-Speed < 4200 rpm => fan defective
-Speed = 0 rpm => fan might not be connected

MOST framework

In this test step, there is a check as to whether the MOST framework is currently closed. If it is determined that the MOST framework is open, the user is referred to the test module 'MOST ring fault diagnosis'.

Speaker
To test the function of the loudspeakers, test tones with the following frequencies are issued:

-50 Hz bass tone to activate the sub-woofer
-500 Hz tone to activate the medium-range loudspeaker
-10,000 Hz tone to activate the tweeter

With a Top HiFi system, the loudspeakers are not activated directly by the CCC. In this case, the activation comes from the Top HiFi amplifier. The Top HiFi amplifier is connected via the MOST bus to the CCC.

These test tones can also be used to localise disruptive noise in the panels (rattles, clattering) caused by the loudspeakers.

CID
To check the connection from the CCC to the CID, the following tests are run.

-The fault code memory entry ”A468 external break in wiring (LVDS data line)” indicates that the LVDS data line of the CID is not connected.
-The CCC creates a test card at the CID. If the test card can be seen on the CID, the CID is properly connected to the CCC and is functional.

Radio aerials
To check function of the radio aerials, the following tests are run.

-The fault code memory entry ”DAD2 diversity not connected” indicates an interruption in the connection from the CCC to the aerial diversity.
-The aerial self-test is started and queried. If a fault is displayed, there is a problem with the aerial structure or the connection from the CCC to the aerial structure. The fault ”DAD2 diversity not connected” must not be entered in the fault code memory.

GPS aerial
This test step checks whether the GPS aerial is properly connected and functioning. The fault code memory entry ”A054 GPS aerial not connected” also indicates a problem with the GPS aerial. In the event of a negative result, the connection to the GPS aerial must be checked.

Microphone
To test the microphone, the CCC or Top HiFi amplifier issues a test tone that is received by the microphone. If a Top HiFi system is fitted, no tone can be issued directly by the CCC. In this case, the test tone is created by the Top HiFi amplifier.

Video input

The video input at the CCC is monitored by the video module

·
Super Moderator
9,853 Posts
If you were looking in ISTA not connected to the car, the ABL functions will not run. They must be run while connected, one by one. There also might be some other test in the Service Functions menu that might help. I think you are headed down the road with a better understanding of the CCC system was never a good system, & had many short falls. The CIC update will certainly help, but maybe headed to the Android path might be a better choice. I did glance at the one in the link, but it is showing UK sales, not US. I am sure the same unit is probably available in the US, you just need to read a lot of reviews to get what fits you best. To gather all of the parts for the CIC, the parts are probably close to 350.00. You will need to program everything your self, or pay some one online to do it. Even the CIC will fall short of the current platform of NBT, but there are to many conflicting problems with the NBT for our cars. BMW replaced my complete CCC under warranty back in 2009, & nothing worked any better.

·
Super Moderator
9,853 Posts
I have been doing some reading on this the last couple of nights, & there are several different types of installs. Most of the units are in the 400 to 500.00 range, with a rear view camera. Some of the units replace the display, & have the components built into the display. I can't say for sure if this will fix your reception problem, but I would bet it would. Roseng should have some insight on this, as he is our sound system expert here on the forum. I am willing to spend the 500.00 just for the rear view camera, & a update Nav screen that woks off of Google Maps. There should be several threads to read here across the forum, that should give us plenty of good reviews to read. No matter which way you go to update with a CIC, or Android unit, 500.00 is a pretty good number to work with. I don't remember people complaining about the CIC systems having reception problems, so I think our system is just outdated to say the least!

·
Super Moderator
9,853 Posts
Finally made it here. Ran ECU function tests for the CCC-ANT ECU. Arial Self Test says faulty (first test), does this refer to the DA?

UPDATE: Ran same test on E60, it also says faulty Aerial self test. FM sounds fantastic in my E60. Maybe this is something else.

View attachment 1061691
Try & see if you can check the antennas in INPA, you will probably get a better pic of what the signal range should be?

·
Super Moderator
9,853 Posts
No luck yet, no tint, its the M6 Coupe - Carbon Fiber roof. My E60 has mafia dark tint, wife hates it, I love it, makes the TI color pop. I did take it out of garage, and using ISTA can see radio station quality bounce from 8 -15. the scale is 0 -15, 15 being best. About to either drop it off at BMW and see what they come up with, or throw money at it and buy a new Diversity Antenna.
BMW will not have a solution, & will want to change the complete system. It still want work properly, they will just drain your checking account. I think the problem is in the CCC, & I would just update it with a CIC, or Android unit.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts