BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,853 Posts
Finally made it here. Ran ECU function tests for the CCC-ANT ECU. Arial Self Test says faulty (first test), does this refer to the DA?

UPDATE: Ran same test on E60, it also says faulty Aerial self test. FM sounds fantastic in my E60. Maybe this is something else.

View attachment 1061691
Try & see if you can check the antennas in INPA, you will probably get a better pic of what the signal range should be?

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
did not add android/ios. still just trying to figure out why FM is a bit off

·
Registered
E64 650 & F25 X3 3.0D
125 Posts
Nope, not on mine.
But with the exception of the amplifier and iDrive controller, via the bus lines, I don't think it interacts with a lot of the system components.
Btw, as you would expect ISTA reports the "VM" (display) as a permanent fault.
But thats a minor trade off.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I'm still working to remove some variables. I live in Austin, but my 545 FM reception is rock solid. It is the only reason I hear a difference. Otherwise I might be happy with my M6 because I had nothing to compare it to.

I tested the M6 in the garage, so signal not as good. Tested 545 out of garage. But ISTA test is a bit different for each vehicle. It appears the M6 shows the strength of the radio station that it is locking on, and shows it in real time. So it was fluctuating. The 545 did not do this if I recall. the 545 also chose a different FM station to test. So I need to go back and at least move the M6 out of the garage for a better test and see if it changes to same test station as 545 when in same area.

But both cars said Ariel Self Test faulty, so I don't trust that result. (what ever an Ariel Self Test is)

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
No luck yet, no tint, its the M6 Coupe - Carbon Fiber roof. My E60 has mafia dark tint, wife hates it, I love it, makes the TI color pop. I did take it out of garage, and using ISTA can see radio station quality bounce from 8 -15. the scale is 0 -15, 15 being best. About to either drop it off at BMW and see what they come up with, or throw money at it and buy a new Diversity Antenna.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Something I havent entertained is the Trap circuit or the suppression filter.

try skimming thru this if you have some free cycles.....

Attachments

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 · (Edited)
A device which can be interposed between a radio and an electrically heated window so as to enable the to a d.c. power source to effect heating of same. The device comprises a blocking circuit having mutually coupled coils interposed between the d.c. power source and the terminals of the heating element of the window

the bifilar coil effectively blocks the radio signals from the power input terminals while passing the current from the power input terminals to the power output terminals.

Rectangle Font Parallel Schematic Plan

·
Super Moderator
9,853 Posts
No luck yet, no tint, its the M6 Coupe - Carbon Fiber roof. My E60 has mafia dark tint, wife hates it, I love it, makes the TI color pop. I did take it out of garage, and using ISTA can see radio station quality bounce from 8 -15. the scale is 0 -15, 15 being best. About to either drop it off at BMW and see what they come up with, or throw money at it and buy a new Diversity Antenna.
BMW will not have a solution, & will want to change the complete system. It still want work properly, they will just drain your checking account. I think the problem is in the CCC, & I would just update it with a CIC, or Android unit.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
BMW will not have a solution, & will want to change the complete system. It still want work properly, they will just drain your checking account. I think the problem is in the CCC, & I would just update it with a CIC, or Android unit.
I don't think its a head unit or amp issue, CD sounds AMAZING. The FM is being modulated in a not so good way. The more I think about it, the more I think its not the DA and possibly something upstream from the DA. Not ready to give up on it yet, because my E60 sounds AMAZING with FM broadcast. Starting to wonder if one of the capacitors in one of the upstream filters have crapped out. ????

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
BTW - I tried the secret menu above, it works. The combination is:

Hold and press i-drive button for 10 seconds to initiate sequence. Then do

3 turns Right
3 turns Left
1 R
1 L
1 R
press enter

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Not really, don't know what the data means. Also wanted to record it here for visitors from the future. Been side-tracked with work stuff, so its been hard to stay focused on this invisible problem. I took the M6 out for a long drive on Sunday and really focused on the stereo, (rather than hum of the V10). Had some time to do some critical listening and can hear FM sometimes sounding really good. Was out in the country. Certain stations sound better than others, and it seems sometimes certain stations can sound really good, then bad. something is going on with the ability to tune and lock on the FM signal. That tells me something upstream is causing the signal to get degraded or possibly the DA is locking in on the the wrong antenna at times. Its getting close to the time where I buy a new DA and see if that changes the outcome. But first, I'm going to go flush the M6 brake lines, that I know, will have a successful outcome. :)

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Do you have any aftermarket LEDs on the car? Specifically Angel Eyes or something else that would be on all the time?

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Do you have any aftermarket LEDs on the car? Specifically Angel Eyes or something else that would be on all the time?
none that I'm aware. bought the car with 36K on it. been thru it pretty good and it is bone stock as far as I can tell.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
After market LEDs can cause serious radio interference but beyond that you need to swap components and see if you can find the culprit.

41 - 60 of 63 Posts