BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

FML I Hit My Mailbox

572 Views 3 Replies 2 Participants Last post by  CSMBlack-540i
Hey Guys, A few weeks ago I accidentally slammed into my mailbox. It scraped the paint and caused a minor dent. The paint was scratched and alot of excess material; old wooden paint from the mailbox was minced onto the side.
I cleaned out the scratch with water, rubbing alcohol, and scraping; while lubricating the area with water.

When I sanded it down and used a few other compounds, I had a hazy effect on my paint. It seems hollow and colorless; its not noticable from afar, but from one feet its quite noticable. The paint does not have its glossy shine. I searched the forums but had no sucesss in finding a DIY about the topic. I was wondering what you guys would recommend doing? I heard buffing works.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
It's quite possible you rubbed off some of the clear coat during the clean up.

You can certainly try to buff with polish, glaze and then some wax to see if the shine returns.
Thank you for the advice, and if that fails? I would need to repaint that section? repaint the clear coat?
Yep, then I would bring it to a professional painter to evaluate or simply leave it if passes the 3 foot "notice-ability" test. It's like a ding or dent you know is there but most people don't notice.
Thank you for the advice, and if that fails? I would need to repaint that section? repaint the clear coat?
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.