Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an ‘02 530i with original Xenon low beams. I had to replace those bulbs and that greatly improved my lighting. Then I replaced the angel eyes with LED.. Now I’m really wanting to replace the fog lights with halo and Xenon as well as replace the high beams with a better HID than I have (PIAA) for the high beams.. I found this product.. not for sure if it is what I want though.. I know that if the fog lights are converted to xenons, the reflectors need to be converted as well, so I am expecting to buy whole new units..

Thoughts or recommendations?

http://www.xtralights.com/95-03-bmw...itch-chrome-pair-hid-xenon-lights-kit-package

IMG_9069.jpg IMG_9070.jpg

‘02 BMW 530i MSport
Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Today I replaced the fog light assemblies with Hella units and the bulbs with H8 Sylvania ZXE bulbs.. an improvement, but I would still like to see it whiter.. IMG_9282.jpg IMG_9284.jpg

‘02 BMW 530i MSport

·
Registered
266 Posts
Why waste your money, fog light is useless. So many retarded people driving in broad daylight with their fog lights on. So stupid.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Why waste your money, fog light is useless. So many retarded people driving in broad daylight with their fog lights on. So stupid.
That would depend alot on your geography.

In my case the fog lights are extremely important when I get real thick fog.

It makes me visible to other cars, and lets me see the road with less effort.

I can understand that in a desert climate that would seem useless.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why?

To see, and be seen...

I drive more at night than during the day, interstate and a lot of rural and cutback country roads and during a lot of fog and white-out snow conditions.. fog lights make a difference.. also better for seeing animals in the ditch approaching the car.. and the older I have become, the more important bright white lighting is..

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Banned
151 Posts
Why even bother commenting. How rude! They're probably helpful in the snow and rain. They're not very useful here in California but i still like to run them.

·
Under the lift arms
12,950 Posts
i just put standard HID in my fog lamps (yellow 3k)
mounted the ballast to the plastic in there somewhere

the oem xenon lights for the low beams should be enough though..

Why are your lights so blue? They should be White? have you replaced your low beams with something?

upgrading your lights is cool.. BUT doing so and being a selfish prick with a unfiltered Open light is a real jerk move,

Unless your looking to spend money on new fog light houseings it self.. Why dont you just install HID's on the OEM fog lights and call it a day,

It will be cheaper and you will retain your OEM equipment, (dont bastardize with after market)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I really needed to replace my fog light housings, as there were cracks and damage from time (an maybe the PO hit something?).. lenses were pitted and the reflectors seemed damaged as well.. anyway, the Hellas are essentially OEM..

As for my low beams, they are so white that they almost do have a bluish tint.. and they are just OEM Xenon replacements. Nothing fancy there, just new bulbs.. the halos are an LED upgrade..

·
Wingnut
3,724 Posts
with my fogs, which are unneeded in this area, its just an appearance thing, theyre on all the time the car is running, the bulbs i replaced with 35w equivalent LED's.

·
Registered
639 Posts
with my fogs, which are unneeded in this area, its just an appearance thing, theyre on all the time the car is running, the bulbs i replaced with 35w equivalent LED's.
In my country the police fine the equivalent of 300$ if your caught using fog lights when its not foggy.

It happened to a friend of mine. Had just arrived in a small town and forgot to turn them off after going through a patch of fog. He was very young and I reckon if he had fought that in court he would have not have to pay such a high fine. Maybe.:dunno:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Had a chance to drive last night and try out the new fog lights.. the Sylvania ZXE bulbs are an improvement, with definitely more light to the sides..

Today I installed Sylvania Gold ZXE H7 high beam bulbs.. definitely brighter, but the contrast between OEM Xenon Low Beams and Sylvania HID bulbs is evident.. I’ll try these bulbs for a while and decide whether to stay with them or look for a further upgrade..

I understand the high beam and fog light reflectors are not designed for any true Xenon installation I may find, and with these Sylvania bulbs being the equivalent of Osrams versions, this may be the best performance I can achieve. IMG_9312.jpg IMG_9315.jpg

‘02 BMW 530i MSport

·
Registered
156 Posts
As a long time motorcycle rider, I can attest that visibility, day or night, is something to not take for granted.

·
Constantly Learning
2,020 Posts
I never saw need to mess with upgrading fogs, though I do like to have good bulbs in. Thanks for putting the ZXE fogs on my radar, wasn't aware of those.

but the contrast between OEM Xenon Low Beams and Sylvania HID bulbs is evident
If you really like the highs, you could of course upgrade your HID bulbs. I run Osram CBIs, whiter with no loss of lumens, which have come down a lot in price not that newer versions have been introduced. Had the 65w H7s for a long time as highs, aren't made anymore, finally gave out. Bought a set of H7 Nightbreakers, they're fine.

Recently did a retrofit with Evo 2.0 lows due to my adjusters breaking, now rocking double highs on deserted parkways. So no need to go too crazy.

FYI Osram also makes an 80w H7, but I'm concerned about the added heat with stock wiring.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Edgy,
I guess that Osram manufactures the Sylvania bulbs. The Osram Nightbreaker Lasers are said to be better, but not by much, than the ZXE’s by Sylvania (H7 high beams)..I think an LED upgrade to my fog lights would be the next step to get the most improvement.. not sure I can improve the high beams much more..

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As a follow up..

The Sylvania (OSRAM) ZXE H8 Fog light bulbs that we replaced in 1/19..

One was replaced at 11,000 miles (6months). The other was replaced at 15,000 miles (9 months)..

Didn’t last very long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Search, Read, THEN Ask
3,211 Posts
As a follow up..

The Sylvania (OSRAM) ZXE H8 Fog light bulbs that we replaced in 1/19..

One was replaced at 11,000 miles (6months). The other was replaced at 15,000 miles (9 months)..

Didn't last very long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not surprised at all. OSRAM Silverstar and GE Nighthawks are known to last about 1/2 the life of Standard Bulbs due to higher pressures to get it slightly brighter light.

The other thing is I wouldn't call ZXE H8 "Fog lights" as the whiter light will actually reflect off real fog. Call them driving lights at that color temp.

Want true "Fog lights", get 3000K yellow/amber bulbs to cut thru fog instead of reflecting off it.

Silverstars and Nighthawks are all about bling not about useful life.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
I am not particularly fuzzy with my car, got the car for free so it just needed some things fixed when I got it. I do not have halos with this old car and since I could not polish up the lenses I bought new cheap housings and put Nightbreakers, wattage as per the manual, in low and high beam, happy with that. I have not changed my fog bulbs as I very rarely use them, well, I better say I never used them but they work.
Picture shows them new, now a couple of years later the outer protective clear coat has flaked off the lenses but they are still good.
Sorry for upside down picture!

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
hi guys

I also upgraded lights on my E39 here

OSRAM LED 6000K H8
PHILIPS LED CANBUS (to kill dash-warning)
PHLIPS XENON lightbulb 6000K D2S
HELLA FRONT HEADLIGHT
HELLA SMOKED TAILIGHT

Their bright colours perfectly match with each other without irriitating into eyes at all.
Big spent on these but worth paying I guess...:drive:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts