BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been searching for a couple hours now and have not really found what I was looking for.

At the moment my angel eyes are wired to the rear fog light switch (as my car does not have rear fogs) so I can turn on my angel eyes with no other lights on. I ordered an HID kit for my fog lights (arriving soon) and I want to wire my fog lights so I can turn them on alongside my angel eyes without having to turn on my parking lights (light switch to position 2) in order for the fog lights to turn on.

Here is a picture:

http://www.umnitza.com/albums/Predat...renceorion.jpg

·
The Canadian Prick.
12,984 Posts
click on the link in my sig, then look for Chad's angel eyes thread.

·
Sucker for the 3 Series
302 Posts
I hooked them up through the standard parking like wiring, and took the parking light globes out.... but shhhh

·
I Am The Machine
20,931 Posts
Aren't the parking lights also the turn signals? :confused:.
Pimpin is in 'Stralia, mate. Pretty sure the parking lights he's referring to are the city lights in the high beam spots, and their corner lights come on only with the turn signal, nothing else, so its not like he removed his front turn signals.

OP, like Ed said go search for my DIY thread, I did what you're looking for.

Sent from my Droid using Bimmer App

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
e36 phantom. i've already done what you did in your diy and its amazing. had that done a while back.

however what im looking for is to be able to turn on my fog lights without having to have my parking lights on (corners and rear tails, no low beams) so i can have my angel eyes and my fog lights on together and nothing else.

but i think in order to do this i have to do the fogs stay on with high beam mod unless anyone has some other info.

·
I like pie.
3,747 Posts
So are there no high beams? :confused:. How do they see the kangaroos and the dingos coming when driving fast in the outback at night?.

·
I Am The Machine
20,931 Posts
D'oh, we all misread that. Your best bet for getting the fogs to switch on by themselves is to get the Bentley manual, and study the related EWDs in the back of it. From there you can determine what to rewire for that. Good luck.

Miles, non-US cars have a tiny 5w bulb at the bottom of the high beam housing called the "city light" that comes on instead of the corners when you turn on the parking lights. This would be the parking lights people outside the US refer to.

·
I like pie.
3,747 Posts
e36 phantom. i've already done what you did in your diy and its amazing. had that done a while back.

however what im looking for is to be able to turn on my fog lights without having to have my parking lights on (corners and rear tails, no low beams) so i can have my angel eyes and my fog lights on together and nothing else.

but i think in order to do this i have to do the fogs stay on with high beam mod unless anyone has some other info.
It might be easiest just to run a new circuit. Get yourself fuse, a relay, and a few feet of wire. Find an open fuse slot and wire that to your new relay and wire said relay to the switch and the desired lights.

·
I like pie.
3,747 Posts
Miles, non-US cars have a tiny 5w bulb at the bottom of the high beam housing called the "city light" that comes on instead of the corners when you turn on the parking lights. This would be the parking lights people outside the US refer to.

Cool thanks. I wish I had the chance to drive and get under the hood of an E36 when I was in New Zealand.

·
Sucker for the 3 Series
302 Posts
Hahaha, Yeah you're correct.

I have Highbeams in one reflector, and then low-beams and parking lights in the other. Turn signals are by themselves on the outside. So by disconnecting the second globe (parking lights) in my low-beam reflector, i can isolate my angels by themselves.

so the 3 stages of the lights switch are;
0. everything off
1. angels on
2. low-beam +angels on

and then High beam can go on top of that.

Indicators work at any time independently of the above.

PS have never seen a wild dingo, but my art teacher used to bring her pet wallaby to school in a backpack.

·
I like pie.
3,747 Posts
Really? I thought that Aussies all lived in little shacks in the outback and had to learn to play the Didgeridoo in order to ward off the dingos so they don't eat all the babies.....

Admittedly I learned most of what I know about Australia from Kiwis...

·
East Bound And Down
2,852 Posts
Dont run a new circut... pull the switch panel out (the one with the fog lig switch)
you will see one wire coming to the switch (from the headlight circut) and one leaving the switch (to the foglight relay)

simply run a wire from the fuse box and splice in to the wire coming into the foglight switch

NOW your factory relay still works but you fogs work independently of the headlights
(how do i know... i did it yesterday)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dont run a new circut... pull the switch panel out (the one with the fog lig switch)
you will see one wire coming to the switch (from the headlight circut) and one leaving the switch (to the foglight relay)

simply run a wire from the fuse box and splice in to the wire coming into the foglight switch

NOW your factory relay still works but you fogs work independently of the headlights
(how do i know... i did it yesterday)
so im tapping the incoming wire on the fog light switch to the wire thats coming from the fuse box to the fog? im a little confused as to what your saying.

do you have wire colors to be more specific?

does this override the fog light turn on when applying the high beams?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts