BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I knocked out my fog lights by hitting a piece of truck tire rubber in the road and I wnat to replace them. The dealership gave me an outrageous quote so I want to attempt on my own.
I found them on Rockauto.com and before I purchase them I want to know if they are easy to replace or are there any special considerations. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
13,798 Posts
It's very easy, even i can do it. Don't think you even need any tools, just pop it out, but I forget. I think they cost like $40, it's been a while since I did it.

·
EURO STYLE
226 Posts
it's very easy, unplugged them and insert a screw driver in the opening right next to the fog light. There is a little black clip with a spring that moves back and forward. Push it back and the for should pop out.

When you put the nue one just apply some preassure and it should be all good.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply on the fog lights. I'll give it a try. One more question... since it is heating up in Phoenix, I want to make sure I have good AC. However, the air coming out doesn't feel cold. Do I need my system recharged or could it be a filter? Thanks

·
Retired Slacker
6,711 Posts
I replaced my foglights last fall. Not hard but the Internet yayhoos I bought them from did not include new brackets (sigh). Another project. You A/C should be able to freeze steaks, so get a good mechanic to check that system out. :dunno: Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Foglight Replacement

Where you ever able to replace your foglight? I tried replacing mine but haven't been successful in "snapping" it back in place. It looks like I probably broke the clip or something and the only thing I can think of is to now purchase the fog light bracket. Unless there is a trick I am missing? The owner's manual doesn't list "tricks." :)

·
Retired Slacker
6,711 Posts
tjohan said:
Where you ever able to replace your foglight? I tried replacing mine but haven't been successful in "snapping" it back in place. It looks like I probably broke the clip or something and the only thing I can think of is to now purchase the fog light bracket. Unless there is a trick I am missing? The owner's manual doesn't list "tricks." :)
The snap-in clip is probably broken. Both of mine are. You'll need new brackets from a parts house. Not a lot of $$$$ but a pain to install. :thumbdwn:

·
Registered
394 Posts
The fog light itself is extremely easy to install (once understand how it works). The very first time it's a pain.

If your bracket is busted, that's a pain to install. I'm pretty handy, have plenty of tools and have yet to find a simple way to replace a busted bracket.

Replacement fog lights usually come with a new bracket. I know, I've bought 4 within the last 2 years. The northeast is tough on these lights. If I remember correctly, I paid in the range of $70 for ZKW's.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Griot's Garage sells crystal clear protective plastic made by 3M that is invisible and keeps pebbles from cracking them. They have custom pre-shaped ones for BMW's. I got them for my 98 328i when I got new zkw units. The protectors have sticky on the them and you carefully apply them on. You cannot tell they are there once they are on. And it keeps minor bumps and rocks from busting the glass.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Thanx for the info.....I tried out a similar material from Laminex (sp?) in the yellow color. It seemed to protect the light very well, but I hated the color so I removed them. I plan to get the clear to put on later this year.

·
Registered
27 Posts
tjohan said:
Before you totally write if off as a broken bracket, try pushing it in even harder. Apply some real force and see if it snaps back in, sometimes it needs a real good push, mine did.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I also had to replace one of mine. You can reach the clip if you reach up (behind the light)fron the inside edge of the light. It's about 2/3 up. Onge you pull the clip bach, the light will pop foreward and come right out.
When I bought my replacement light, it did not come with a bulb, just the glass piece and plastic bracket. If you need one, be sure it is included. If it still works, you can easilly install the old bulb into the new housing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had to replace the bulb on mine and broke the plastic clip becuase I did not know what I was doing. Don't just start prying on the inside edge of the light! The owner's manual is not very clear on how the clip mechanism works, but it does show where you need to stick your screwdriver. Once you break one of the lights out and the broken clip falls to the groung, you'll clearly see how the light is held into place (too late). I have a pretty simple way to fix a broken clip, but it would be hard to explain in text. If anyone is interested, send me an email and I'll get a picture of it. The repair involves drilling a small hole through part of the housing and making a "U" shaped piece of piano wire.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I unfortunately just ran over a deer late last night (sprawled dead in the road, but in a twisty, crowded section of I-80 so I couldn't safely take evasive action) and the only effect seems to be a shattered left fog light. Has anyone found any advantage to upgrading the bulbs in those lights? And how can I tell if what's in there was OEM or something different? I just bought the car a few weeks ago, and I remember the seller saying those lights were high-powered driving lights...

·
Registered
182 Posts
I replaced all my bulbs with Silverstar bulbs by Sylvania. Gives a cool slighly bluish white almost like a flourescent light, but softer. Seems to light up the road more than regular bulbs. Definately not close to Xeon or HID if that is what you are aiming for (I wasn't - just wanted a different color).

http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProducts/AutomotiveLighting/HighPerformance/Silverstar/default.htm

As for hi power stock bulbs - I dunno since mine came with plain old regular bulbs in the fog lights and head lights - I think they were original and just said OSRAM and had the old school yellowish white incandescent look - and didn't light up the road as good (due to age or type or both).

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just went out to take a closer look at things (in the light of day) and there's more damage than I first saw. Cracks in the front air dam/spoiler (whatever BMW calls it) and some bits of the skid plate (or whatever it's called that covers the area under the car between the front bumper and the axle) are missing. Also a mystery wire dangling from the fog light area... I was planning to take it to a shop anyway for an inspection, but after seeing that I called and scheduled an appointment right then and there!

If there's no major mechanical damage I'll just replace the plastic stuff myself. Any recommendations on a supplier for that sort of thing? I'll take some pictures and start a new thread, but thought I'd go ahead and ask now.

Pretty gruesome stuff, though. You'll all appreciate the hair and blood stains stuck to random spots of the car. :(

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.