Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My e46, 04/2000 Built, didn't come with Fog Lights. So, I'm pretty sure (not 100% sure), that it doesn't even have the wiring for it. It doesn't have the Switch either.
But does anyone know HOW hard it is to install a new set, with the wiring of course.
I found a DIY, from 2006. But it's SUPER INVOLVED. It makes you go into the fuse box, and solder some wiring here and there. It's super advanced.
Does anyone know of a simpler solution? Any alternatives?
I'm not beneath wiring a completely external wire and tap directly into the positive terminal under the hood (that's what I did with my Angel eyes, and they're working pretty sound so far, knock on wood)

Or is that DIY the ONLY way to get a set of working Fog Lights for those of us that have the cars that didn't come with them out of factory??

Ron.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I would assume it would be fairly complicated for them to work properly. They only come on when the head light dial is turned to running lights, and they auto turn off when you put your high beams on.

If you want them to work that way it will be complicated.

however you could wire them to a switched circuit and install an aftermarket switch. This way you would turn them on manually, and they will only come on with the key in, or turn off with the key out.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome. Thanks so much guys. VERY helpful.
I actually did that exact wiring for my Angel Eyes, except no Relay. It's working perfectly. So, I might try that.

I found these:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-Fog-Lig...=item33c3d8f1d3:g:gpoAAOSwqpha2OQ6:rk:35:pf:0

But again, I'd have to do all external wiring. So, do you guys think it's worth it?
I've already installed external wiring and and auxiliary switch for the Angel Eyes. But a whole 'nother set of wires and switch for the fog lights - is all that worth the trouble?
The lights are not that important to me. But I also really don't like the fact that the car doesn't have them. But with value, etc, is it worth the trouble??

·
I'm a DlCK! So what?
3,609 Posts
It's not worth it to me, simply because I rarely actually use fog lights when I'm in a vehicle that has one. I leave my truck's fog lights on just for added visibility and my E46's fog lights were cut off since they got broken by a cone during an autocross event.

The question really is: Is it worth it to you?

If you do end up doing it, get some Nokya 55W yellow bulbs instead of those garbage LED bulbs.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The problem is that it is so simple and cheap. Doing external wiring, external switch, and the pair of Fog Lights is LESS THAN $50.
So, is it worth it FOR the PRICE? - yes, absolutely.
But is it worth it to me, as opposed to just sitting back on the couch, playing Fallout, and NOT having to go work on the car for 2 hours, to install fog lights that I don't actually need or would use that often,.....I'm not so sure. I'm torn only because economically, it's so cheap. If the cost was over $100, I wouldn't even consider it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts