BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a search but couldn't find what I'm looking for...

I have 2004 M3 Cab, standard with OEM fogs. I bought Prolum HID kit 4-5 years ago with 6K bulbs but its not really bright for in inclement weather.

Whats the best plug and play fog light kit I can get for my car?

Or should I just replace the bulbs to 3k or 4k?

Thanks!

·
Registered
741 Posts
Xenon is not the best type of light for fogs... It's too intense and isn't aimed well in the housings causing a lot of scattered light bouncing back up... Fog lights are to cut below the fog and light the road and lines directly in front of the car.

·
Keeping it surreal
43,231 Posts
OP, sounds like you want "driving lights", not fogs....as mentioned, fogs are not designed or meant to "reach out" much, their purpose is to illuminate a short, wide area in front of the car as you *drive slowly through the fog*. Any speed above 25 mph or so is overdriving fog lights, that`s not what they were meant for.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
get rid of the HID kit and just put proper fogs in there. Get HIR bulbs if you want some extra brightness. HIDs really aren't that great in fog. And foglights themselves are really only useful in the type of fog that forces you to drive around 20mph or slower. Beyond that you'd be simply going too fast for the area they illuminate.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
question guys... its been awhile since I installed the prolumen kit...how do I switch back to regular OEM fog? do I need new wires?

·
Rambling Wreck
2,073 Posts
Most of those HID kits are plug-and-play. If you just plugged the car's fog light bulb connectors into the ballasts that came with the HID kit, then all you should have to do is remove the kit, put new halogen bulbs into the fog light housings, and plug the bulb connectors into the backs of the bulbs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts